Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Aspects
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bird844
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2010 :  01:41:21  Show Profile  Visit Bird844's Homepage Send Bird844 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Alright, I've got a stupid question.

What in the name of Mystra is an Aspect of a god?

I mean, I heard that Sahanine was an aspect of Selune. Is it just another name for the Diety? Another personality? An extension of their will? A villian wearing Superman's costume? What?

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2010 :  02:16:37  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to the changes after the Spellplague, it was revealed that many of the gods (such as Sehanine) were merely other gods "disguising" themselves as the original gods to "spread their word" and gain more followers.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2010 :  03:11:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And a little from Brian James:-
quote:
Deities (and Primordials) may choose, if they wish to divest a portion of their divine essence into ‘aspects’. These aspects may claim dominions and portfolios beyond those governed by their parent divinity. Aerdrie Faeyna was an aspect of Akadi which infiltrated and lived among the elven pantheon for millennia. When Aerdrie was slain by Auril, Akadi simply lost the divine essence invested into this particular aspect (ie. Akadi was weakened but not destroyed).

This will be explained in a lot more detail in future D&DI articles.

It's worth noting that most deities recalled all their aspects during the Spellplague to consolidate their power and today exist as singular beings.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2010 :  18:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gods are big, transcendent things -- more of them exists than any one mortal or priesthood can know or perceive. The sum of any one set of names, myths, iconography, ritual practice and doctrine can be seen as a mask of the underlying divinity, and in this sense you can see how different cultures and even different temples already worship slightly different aspects of the god.

But Sehanine being an aspect of Selűne is not what I'd call Realmslore -- it's a change you shouldn't bother pondering or including in your campaign unless you share the Realms-2008 designers' goal of reducing the number of (underlying) gods.

Edited by - Faraer on 11 Feb 2010 19:59:13
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2010 :  14:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Realmslore is as much or as little of published info mixed in with your own homebrewed ingredients as you want :)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  15:15:37  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Deities (and Primordials) may choose, if they wish to divest a portion of their divine essence into ‘aspects’. These aspects may claim dominions and portfolios beyond those governed by their parent divinity. Aerdrie Faeyna was an aspect of Akadi which infiltrated and lived among the elven pantheon for millennia. When Aerdrie was slain by Auril, Akadi simply lost the divine essence invested into this particular aspect (ie. Akadi was weakened but not destroyed).

It's worth noting that most deities recalled all their aspects during the Spellplague to consolidate their power and today exist as singular beings.

Ugh, that sounds so contrived and forced just to make it work for 4E, and completely destroys whatever lore was established earlier. I really wonder why they didn't just destroy Toril and had everything move to Abeir and start all over? That'd have been a much better route. Or just stop printing "Toril" stuff and move 4E to "Abeir" in order to hit the reset button without annihilating what Toril has established?
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  15:23:26  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Ugh, that sounds so contrived and forced just to make it work for 4E, and completely destroys whatever lore was established earlier. I really wonder why they didn't just destroy Toril and had everything move to Abeir and start all over? That'd have been a much better route. Or just stop printing "Toril" stuff and move 4E to "Abeir" in order to hit the reset button without annihilating what Toril has established?

It doesn't sound any more contrived than much of the other divine lore published earlier in my opinion. Then again, I think all lore concerning divine beings should be considered legends and theories. When you tie concrete rules to divine beings it takes all the mystery out of it. What is could be worse than a player babbling away about the God having the wrong status to be able to do something?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000