Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Question concerning Lycanthropes and LA

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BlackDragonKarameikos Posted - 05 Feb 2010 : 00:30:13
Ok, I have a question concenring the challenge rating for a Lycanthrope.

In the MM for example it gives the LA for a Weretiger as a +3, but in the Race of Faerun it gives a LA of +1 (for infected) or a +2 (for Natural).

Which one is actually correct? the one in the MM or the one in RoF?

The reaso I ask is that it will affect the level at which the Lycan starts out at.

Any help will be appreciated.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 06 Mar 2010 : 20:57:18
Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for it.
BlackDragonKarameikos Posted - 06 Mar 2010 : 10:33:00
I'll try to post the stats for the werecheetha when I can Alystra. I have the information on a zip drive and am unable to access it ATM. I am usinng an older type computer as mine went screwy on me, and this one only has one USB port on it, so keep a lookout on this subject, I will post them when I can.

I actually worked out the stats for all 3 of its forms, human, animal, and Hybrid. It really wasn't that hard to do, once you read the template in the MM book.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 05 Mar 2010 : 00:52:29
Can you post that? I can't get access to some things- library blockers, darn it...
The Sage Posted - 05 Mar 2010 : 00:47:01
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Ah, the traditional approach. I like it. Hey, BlackDrag- could you post up those werecheetah stats? I'd like to check that one out myself- got some nice areas they would be perfect in.

You could always check out the werecritters presented in Volume 1 of the Realms Bestiary by Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa. There's some really good stuff in those pdfs.

I think there was a 3rd-party 3e source also, that offered a range of strange and curious werecritter types. I'll have to check up on the name of the book, though.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Mar 2010 : 00:35:38
quote:

Ah, the traditional approach. I like it. Hey, BlackDrag- could you post up those werecheetah stats? I'd like to check that one out myself- got some nice areas they would be perfect in.

You could always check out the werecritters presented in Volume 1 of the Realms Bestiary by Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa. There's some really good stuff in those pdfs.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 04 Mar 2010 : 23:53:27
Jorkens Posted - 04 Mar 2010 : 10:17:16
quote:
Originally posted by BlackDragonKarameikos

well the reason I suggested Arsenic is beacuse it is lethal to humans so it would be the same to rabbits. One of the suggetions in the Van Richten's guide was a weakness of Ginseng for Weretigers, which is why I mentioned the Arsenic.

Making them vulnerable to arsenic would be a bit like saying beheading would kill them If I were to use a poison I would suggest Belladona in any form. A plant seems natural, its generally poisonous and most players wouldn't think of it. And as it is in use in ancient and medieval times for various reasons, it would be available.
BlackDragonKarameikos Posted - 04 Mar 2010 : 05:13:04
I actually worked up a were-cheetah and have it all stated out. Not too hard to do if you just go by the stats of the animal and add them to hte base creatures stats.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 03 Mar 2010 : 21:29:11
Well, I'm pretty sure arsenic is lethal to just about anything, lol! Anyway, I mostly came up with it as a fun way to give my players a scare and a laugh at the same time, especially once they realized that the captured "bunny" was a meat-eater. An then it changed into a human.... Yeah, THAT one really threw them. (And yes, Monte Python was my inspiration for this one.) But I would like to come up with a full template for them, just to give my world a little unique flair. I have were-panthers, were-snakes, and were-lizards, too.... Still working on all of those.
BlackDragonKarameikos Posted - 02 Mar 2010 : 20:22:37
well the reason I suggested Arsenic is beacuse it is lethal to humans so it would be the same to rabbits. One of the suggetions in the Van Richten's guide was a weakness of Ginseng for Weretigers, which is why I mentioned the Arsenic.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 28 Feb 2010 : 20:48:53
Alas, I don't have access to the Van Richten's books. I am kinda wondering what made you suggest arsenic, BlackDraong. And thank you Woolly, for those suggestions. What would slow down a rabbit? Hmm, maybe tortoiseshell....
Vampiric rabbits? Jorkens, you didn't happen to read Bunnicula as a kid, did you, lol? The carrot does have some interesting possibilities....
Jorkens Posted - 28 Feb 2010 : 19:59:48
If the wererabbit is carnivorous as you said, I would suggest making carrots and lettuce horribly poisonous. The real problems starts with the vampiric rabbits and killing it with a carrot stick.

I think I've been watching to much sports these last two weeks.
BlackDragonKarameikos Posted - 28 Feb 2010 : 14:44:11
quote:

What about homebrew lycanthropes? How do you determine their weakness? I ask because I have this one NPC wererabbit I've been running. She's a dire carnivorous rabbit in animal form. Don't ask.....

My suggestion is this... Do a search on rabbits and see if they list anything that is poisonous to them. If so them you could use that or possibly make up your own weakness for them.

If you have access to the Van Richten's guide books then I would suggest looking in there, as they give a list of weakenessess of the known Lycans, you could use one of those.

A weakness that I would think your Lycan would have is one to Arsnic, but that is only one idea off of the top of my head. You as the DM have to make the final choice as to what, if any, weakenessess the lycan has.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Feb 2010 : 06:22:24
quote:

What about homebrew lycanthropes? How do you determine their weakness? I ask because I have this one NPC wererabbit I've been running. She's a dire carnivorous rabbit in animal form. Don't ask.....

I'd make their weaknesses be something related to their nature and/or to perceptions of them. Rabbits are noted for being fast, so maybe they'd be especially susceptible to something that slowed them down. Rabbits are also known for rapid procreation, so perhaps a weakness could be something fertility-related.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 28 Feb 2010 : 04:38:26
The Sage Posted - 15 Feb 2010 : 00:11:45
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

The entire Van Richten series is one giant mind screw for your players.
You should try reading the 3e RL material.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Feb 2010 : 23:24:17
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

The entire Van Richten series is one giant mind screw for your players.

I prefer to think of it as evil fun for the DM.
Hoondatha Posted - 14 Feb 2010 : 20:55:33
The new vulnerabilities in Van Richten would probably override the existing vulnerability to silver. In most cases. But remember what the good doctor says: there's no such thing as an average lycanthrope. Some might be vulnerable to just one, others to both, and a deadly few to neither. The entire Van Richten series is one giant mind screw for your players.
BlackDragonKarameikos Posted - 09 Feb 2010 : 06:17:15
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
And, of course, the indispensable 2e Van Richten's Guide to Werebeasts offers a wealth of were-critter ideas and lore that has never wholly been surpassed since its early publication.

Very true Sage, I read the section on werecreatures all this past week and found a few bits I may use.

My question now is this: in the book it lists a table for Bloodlust, on the table it gives a set of modifiers for different things. Would the modifiers stack or would only the largest modifier take precedence?

Also, in the book it gives a seperate table for specific vulnerabilities would these override the vulnerability to silver or would it be that the Werecreature is suceptible to both Silver AND that secondary vulnerability as well? For Example: the Weretiger is listed as being vulnerable to Obsidian, would it be vulnerable to both or just to one?

Also, would the save for Bloodlust be a Fort save or a Will save? My guess is Will, as it is trying to keep from transforming into its animal or hybrid form.
The Sage Posted - 09 Feb 2010 : 01:16:06
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A wonderful source on werecritters is SKR's Curse of the Moon. It's a $5 pdf from one of the 3E writers, and it's got some good stuff -- including a better way to handle werePCs.

And, of course, the indispensable 2e Van Richten's Guide to Werebeasts offers a wealth of were-critter ideas and lore that has never wholly been surpassed since its early publication.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Feb 2010 : 00:51:47
A wonderful source on werecritters is SKR's Curse of the Moon. It's a $5 pdf from one of the 3E writers, and it's got some good stuff -- including a better way to handle werePCs.
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 08 Feb 2010 : 19:21:19
Just a reminder. When you refer to core books like the Monster Manual and make reference to specific rule sets, can you please specify the edition? Thanks.
BlackDragonKarameikos Posted - 05 Feb 2010 : 19:17:14
Thanks for the info, and I agree with you both.

The LA in the RoF is a little too low for my tastes as well, it only seems right that the Lycanthropes would have a higher LA than what is listed od RoF.

And I do know that Wintermute27, when calculating ECL for any Lycan, it is class level + Racial Hit Dice + LA.
wintermute27 Posted - 05 Feb 2010 : 18:45:51
I agree with Arioch. +1/+2 LA is just a little too low.

Also, remember that weretigers also get 6 racial hit die (d8s) in addition to the level adjustment (MM, p.178-179 & p.281). So a natural weretiger with 1 level of fighter would have an ECL of 10 (1 fighter HD + 6 racial HD + 3 LA) according to 3.5 rules. I've always found that racial hit die tend to make things a bit too complicated with their accompanying skill points, saves, and feats, so I've usually never allowed characters with them in my games. In the rare instances that a player has a really good story reason to use a race or template with racial hit dice, I've found it's not too difficult to modify it down to keep the level disparity from being too terrible.
Arioch Posted - 05 Feb 2010 : 10:09:50
I think the correct is the one in MM. For a couple of reasons:

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000