Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Info on Selunnara?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jhelivar Posted - 26 Dec 2009 : 20:21:12
Hiya all,

I know this has seen some debate but has anyone any info on where to find anything about Selunnara/opus? Descriptions of the city,etc?

Ideally in 3/3.5 edition though 4th edition would be interesting too.

Thanks in advance
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Darkmeer Posted - 22 Jan 2010 : 05:55:00
Reviewing my copy of Netheril, Empire of Magic, I actually think moreso that Illumians would fit in here. Perhaps as waylaid by the destruction of their own library.

Further, this idea brings perhaps a golden age of knowledge back into the Realms, with lore that has been hidden and/or destroyed for centuries. It would be, for all intents and purposes, like finding the Library of Alexandria once again, and this time not burned to the ground.

So, given the makeup of the city, some thoughts:
The aasimare are the main ones running the city, perhaps a Mystic Theurge devoted to Selune for the primary leader of the city (hey Netheril was all about the magic).
For an advisor, some sort of Illumian. One most focused on knowledge itself, rather than some of the other options available.

Again, the main population is Aasimar, so you have a lot of clerics, paladins, and "exalted" wizards/sorcerers about. When you add in Illumians, you actually bring an extra dimension to the sages of that fine city. Perhaps some lore from the Illumians' lost library has arrived here.

This provides not only a Toril-based hook, but an extraplanar one as well. This could bring the full-on Incursion campaign from Dungeon/Dragon from a while back, giving Shade a run for its money in Sembia.

Sorry for all the silence, but I've been being a good scribe and researching, and then forming some crazy ideas to throw out here

/d
Darkmeer Posted - 30 Dec 2009 : 07:32:30
I have some non-Canon thoughts for you.

The City itself would be laid out much like the City of Shade, a likely district for each of the main types of characters (Wizardly, Clerics, and one for the rest of the masses). The reason I think this is that Netheril was known for their wizards, and the city was saved by Selune. Other thoughts include (possibly) adding in the Illumians as an additional race that may have found refuge in the city (if you plan on bringing it back to Faerun).

Outside of that, the main question is how the populace deals with the overt presence of celestial beings in the city. Mostly Eladrin (the 3.5 name, Chaotic Good Outsiders), but a few Guardinals would fit in the picture as well. If that slipped into the Prime (Tori) what would the effect be, how would the culture adapt to possibly not having these things.

These are just a couple of thoughts. Any critique/thrown rotten vegetables, or additions welcome (I'd like to see this fleshed out myself, and I'll help if you want )

/d
jhelivar Posted - 29 Dec 2009 : 21:40:10
Thanks all..may just have to be creative. Towers made of white marble and alabaster with white cloaked assimar running around should make for a start :)

Thanks again
Brimstone Posted - 27 Dec 2009 : 03:58:31
True dat.
The Sage Posted - 26 Dec 2009 : 23:47:23
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I have seen or heard nothing of it in the 4E Realms material I have read. So who know what has happened to it in the 4E FR. DM fiat I guess.

Well, the FRCG is only meant as an introduction to the post-Spellplague Realms after all. There may still be room for a future designer or two to explore the possibilities offered by the return of Opus to the Realms.
Brimstone Posted - 26 Dec 2009 : 23:21:19
I have seen or heard nothing of it in the 4E Realms material I have read. So who know what has happened to it in the 4E FR. DM fiat I guess.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Dec 2009 : 21:03:43
Other than the fact that it exists, there's practically no info at all on it. There's a blurb in Lost Empires of Faerūn, and a few paragraphs in the old Netheril Empire of Magic boxed set (available for free from the Wizards downloads page). The city was formerly called Opus, so that's what to look under in the boxed set.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000