Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Pathfinder tweaks for FR

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Teneck Posted - 15 Jul 2009 : 19:47:26
I spent a good portion of last night looking at the Beta Pathfinder rules (PHB and DMG in one book...WOOOT) and I was very impressed with the layout of the rules and the common sense changes that were made all around.

My main question is has anyone used this rule set in FR and if so was there any hang ups to watch for in the conversion?

FR is the ONLY world I play and DM in...so that said I will not use something that can't be used in FR.

As I said I DO like the rule set but I am hesitant to buy the books next month if there are issues.

Thanks
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MerrikCale Posted - 11 Aug 2009 : 01:59:14
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That is incredibly impressive!

I can't help but wonder what WotC execs think of this, considering that 4E still has that new car smell.

you think it smells like a new car?

anyway, it is impressive. I have my order in and can't wait myself. I am a Pathfinder boy now
Razz Posted - 08 Aug 2009 : 01:42:00
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Per the interview with Jason Bulmahn at 3.5 Sanctuary, a conversion guide will be released as a free pdf on Paizo.com the day the book releases (Aug 13th). It will include rules on how to convert magic items, monsters and prestige classes (among others).

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

What Mark said. I like games that provide conversion information. I don't like games that tell me "everything's changing so much, you're better off rebuilding everything from scratch, so we're not even going to attempt a conversion guide." That strikes me (violently across the face) as a good way to lose your existing customer base.

I remember when WotC made that statement, and that was what got me turned away from 4E real fast. But they were right. They really couldn't do a conversion of 3.5 to 4e booklet. The two systems are so completely different, it's impossible to translate everything a character had access to in 3E to 4E without the character having to sacrifice over half of what they were able to accomplish.
Darkmeer Posted - 07 Aug 2009 : 03:15:14
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

(bumps head) Ouch

It ain't so much a cave, as that I'm very happy with the 3.5 version of the game... well, ok, that is a sort of cave, but we got pretty good lighting here, and good air... I won't switch to PF, mainly because it already is a bitch converting the pre 3e modules to 3.5, and updating chars etc. I will, however, most likely use the much more elegant grapple etc. system offered in PF.

Hell, I already switched to the UA XP tables to make progression slower, and should I ever run a new Realms campaign I am of a mind to re-introduce the old multiclassing (or "gestalt") to the game, double xp-cost, no prestige-classes for multi-classed dudes, I just have to do some math and see how much they'll lag behind.

So, my games are usually not "by the book", as it should be.

Minor threadjack, although directly related to PF:
Why not use the "Fast, Medium, and Slow" XP tables for the "gestalt" characters? Theoretically, at least, a slow XP (3 class) character would reach 3rd level in all classes when all other characters are 4th level. Not terribly different, however, I'd say that each gestalt has a differnent XP penalty built in as well.
So, here you go, I hope this inspires:
Single Class character/normal multiclassing: Fast XP table (or UA one, either way...)
Two-class gestalt character/No Prestige classes: Medium XP table and only gains 75% of all earned xp.
Three-class Gestalt character/No Prestige options: Slow XP table and only gains 50% of all earned XP.
That should slow them enough to make a single classed character really useful, as well as let the gestalt do everything that they want.
/threadjack

Now, as to the Realms and Pathfinder: I think that pathfinder is a great way to do things, and I'll be converting all of my future Realms Campaigns to PF. Heck, most of the gamers I run with either play Spycraft or Pathfinder as it is, so I convert lots of stuff anyways

/d
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 05 Aug 2009 : 20:28:03
quote:
Originally posted by bitter thorn

quote:

(bumps head) Ouch

It ain't so much a cave, as that I'm very happy with the 3.5 version of the game... well, ok, that is a sort of cave, but we got pretty good lighting here, and good air... I won't switch to PF, mainly because it already is a bitch converting the pre 3e modules to 3.5, and updating chars etc. I will, however, most likely use the much more elegant grapple etc. system offered in PF.

Hell, I already switched to the UA XP tables to make progression slower, and should I ever run a new Realms campaign I am of a mind to re-introduce the old multiclassing (or "gestalt") to the game, double xp-cost, no prestige-classes for multi-classed dudes, I just have to do some math and see how much they'll lag behind.

I assume you have down loaded the free beta PDF.

I really like the the new multi-classing rules and skill system. If the system as a whole doesn't float your boat you can always get the PDF for $9.99 and pick and choose what you please.

Actually, I bought a hardcopy of the beta rules

The reason why I won't do a through and through change is basically because my group only games once a month and we only made the change from 2e to 3.5 three years ago, and some people are still coping with that... plus I'm way too lazy
Teneck Posted - 05 Aug 2009 : 16:56:42
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Randal_Dundragon

Which is what you might have to do since Paizo sold out of all their physical copies :).

Please note, they will have a LOT of books at GenCon and retail outlets should be 'well-supplied'*, so you should still be able to get the book, but they might go fast at those stores.

*Well-supplied means that Paizo has shipped all the requested orders from the store. Don't fault Paizo if the Comic Book Guy only asked for two copies on his last order.

Hhhmmmmm...I am feeling a "Sick Day" coming on. May have to camp out at the store to make sure I get a copy .
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 05 Aug 2009 : 16:34:07
quote:
Originally posted by Randal_Dundragon

Which is what you might have to do since Paizo sold out of all their physical copies :).

Please note, they will have a LOT of books at GenCon and retail outlets should be 'well-supplied'*, so you should still be able to get the book, but they might go fast at those stores.

*Well-supplied means that Paizo has shipped all the requested orders from the store. Don't fault Paizo if the Comic Book Guy only asked for two copies on his last order.
Randal_Dundragon Posted - 05 Aug 2009 : 16:09:39
bitter thorn Posted - 05 Aug 2009 : 08:14:00
quote:

(bumps head) Ouch

I assume you have down loaded the free beta PDF.

I really like the the new multi-classing rules and skill system. If the system as a whole doesn't float your boat you can always get the PDF for $9.99 and pick and choose what you please.
bitter thorn Posted - 05 Aug 2009 : 08:10:33
quote:
Originally posted by Teneck

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

As long as you and yours are having fun.

And in the end...THATS what it is all about.

We can all play in the Realms...different times of the realms maybe...but still Mr. Greenwoods world remains the BEST (imho) playground to play in.

Here Here!
Teneck Posted - 04 Aug 2009 : 21:28:16
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

And in the end...THATS what it is all about.

We can all play in the Realms...different times of the realms maybe...but still Mr. Greenwoods world remains the BEST (imho) playground to play in.
Brimstone Posted - 04 Aug 2009 : 20:51:36
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 04 Aug 2009 : 20:39:23
(bumps head) Ouch

Brimstone Posted - 04 Aug 2009 : 20:37:29
I think it is because Paizo has given people a CHOICE in which system to use and play.

[off-topic]I have read abunch of 4E Realms Novels, and I really liked them. Ed's Waterdeep Series is Top-Notch. Rich Baker's Blades of the Moonsea is outstanding.[/off-topic]
Teneck Posted - 04 Aug 2009 : 20:00:22
quote:

(Snip)
Maybe this immense success of Pathfinder is an indicator of how many people are unhappy with the change.

I am not sure if this is indicative so much of people being un-happy with the change so much as they are MORE happy about the "3.5 update" that Pathfinder represents. I read a lot of posts about how people are ok with the 4e, but I think given a choice people will prefer the update.

Present company excluded of course Mace...us and our cave and all.

BUT...(he said ..cringing waiting for the Mace to fall on his head)

I have read some 4e setting novels lately and have been very impressed...and pleased. So it may not be all sunshine and rainbows...but neither is it all doom and gloom.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 04 Aug 2009 : 19:50:27
Maybe this immense success of Pathfinder is an indicator of how many people are unhappy with the change. This ain't 4e bashing, can't do that since I never played it, merely an observation.

OK, we don't know how many books were in the first print run, but if the 50k or so playtesters were a sort of benchmark and it exceeded that number by quite a bit, IIR Erik Mona's comment correctly, that is quite a lot of books sold.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Aug 2009 : 19:24:21
quote:

quote:

Either way, it can't be reassuring for WotC to produce a new edition, and then see this kind of response to a revamping of the prior edition. Selling out a $50 book before it hits shelves in quite an accomplishment.

Speaking of revamping previous editions, have you seen Kenzer & Company are releasing Hackmaster Basic?

Word is, they are beginning to tone down the comedy in the books are are getting serious about the game too. (Oh, and yes, that's a brand-spanking NEW cover painting by OD&D artist Erol Otus.)

My Hackmaster experience and knowledge is limited to having previously owned (before the fire) a copy of Hackjammer. And that failed to impress me.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 04 Aug 2009 : 16:47:51
quote:

[quote]
Either way, it can't be reassuring for WotC to produce a new edition, and then see this kind of response to a revamping of the prior edition. Selling out a $50 book before it hits shelves in quite an accomplishment.

Speaking of revamping previous editions, have you seen Kenzer & Company are releasing Hackmaster Basic?

Word is, they are beginning to tone down the comedy in the books are are getting serious about the game too. (Oh, and yes, that's a brand-spanking NEW cover painting by OD&D artist Erol Otus.)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Aug 2009 : 14:42:18
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

quote:

I can't help but wonder what WotC execs think of this, considering that 4E still has that new car smell.

I'd like to ask a serious question, if I may. Is 4E even popular or selling well? I know that 3E and 3.5 did great, but what about 4E?

Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 04 Aug 2009 : 14:01:29
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

quote:

I'd like to ask a serious question, if I may. Is 4E even popular or selling well? I know that 3E and 3.5 did great, but what about 4E?

By all accounts, it is selling well. However, (and this goes for Pathfinder too...) since the actual sales numbers are not released, there's no way to judge what they distinguish as selling well.

For example (and by example, I mean I have no idea of the true numbers). If Pathfinder ordered 100,000 books for their first print run and sold out, they are ecstatic. If Wotc (and, in turn Hasbro) sold 1,000,000 copies of 4th Edition, they would be pleased to turn a profit.
Brimstone Posted - 04 Aug 2009 : 07:35:08
quote:

AAAAND...

Pathfinder has sold out of it's first print run.

Yep, if you didn't pre-order a copy, then be sure to RUSH to the GenCon table, your FLGS or Barnes & Noble to make sure you get a copy. The second print run won't be available until November (although that, plus the Bestiary might make good stocking stuffers!)

Thats awesome.
Penknight Posted - 04 Aug 2009 : 07:12:27
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Aug 2009 : 06:54:58

Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 04 Aug 2009 : 06:05:47
AAAAND...

Pathfinder has sold out of it's first print run.

Yep, if you didn't pre-order a copy, then be sure to RUSH to the GenCon table, your FLGS or Barnes & Noble to make sure you get a copy. The second print run won't be available until November (although that, plus the Bestiary might make good stocking stuffers!)
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 03 Aug 2009 : 07:32:46
quote:

Ahhh... that would be telling.

Ah! A man with secret plans for his character, perhaps! I'll have to keep an eye out!
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 03 Aug 2009 : 07:18:26
Ahhh... that would be telling.
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 03 Aug 2009 : 00:32:28
I better ask while I'm thinking of it. Ashe, will you be updating your character in the Candlekeep Inn to Pathfinder, or leaving him as he is with traditional 3.5 rules?
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 03 Aug 2009 : 00:30:39
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

Really? I thought that the sorcerers were pretty nice in 3.5. Is there a link to the sorcerer too?

Of course! Click me for a preview of the final socerer rules.

Thank you!! Ah yes... I can hardly wait to sit down and start revisions on my characters. It's been far too long since last I sketched out ideas on builds and discussed their capabilities. Reminds me of long nights sitting around my desk with books strewn from here to Baldur's Gate and back with lists of potential feats and abilities.
MerrikCale Posted - 02 Aug 2009 : 12:53:48
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

and it includes (as far as i can read out of the previews etc) both PHB, DMG, MM and a guide to convert pretty much everything in 3.5 which didn't get preconverted

There is also a GameMastery Guide coming early next year
Ayunken-vanzan Posted - 02 Aug 2009 : 11:23:40
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

Really? I thought that the sorcerers were pretty nice in 3.5. Is there a link to the sorcerer too?

Of course! Click me for a preview of the final socerer rules.
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 01 Aug 2009 : 23:05:40
quote:

Check out the Beta rules. They added Bloodlines to Sorcerers which give them specific powers and select extra spells.

All right, thanks again, Ashe.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000