Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Monsters By Habitat

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dirtywick Posted - 21 Jan 2008 : 01:27:45
Does anyone know of a resource that lists monsters by their habitats?

Like, say I'm building a set of sewer encounters. Is there some kind of table I can reference that lists all monsters found in sewers?

Thanks.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dirtywick Posted - 21 Jan 2008 : 17:44:16
Awesome freyar! Perfect. Thanks much for that.
freyar Posted - 21 Jan 2008 : 13:59:22
The 3.5e DMG has a tables of monsters by "terrain" including underground and (I think) urban, which includes creatures from the 1st monster manual. Those should give you an idea.

An invaluable resource for this kind of thing is the World of Sulerin encounter generator that will make a list of randomly selected monsters for you from whatever sources you want, including 2e and 3.X. EN World member Echohawk also maintains a spreadsheet of all the (official) D&D monsters from any edition, including conversions and updates, available here, which I think has a filterable listing for environment.
scererar Posted - 21 Jan 2008 : 03:31:45
elminster's ecologies
dirtywick Posted - 21 Jan 2008 : 02:13:40
Cool, I'll check that out.

I might work on something similar myself and share it, if not for my own benefit. I've got like 10 books with various monsters in them, gets tiresome to page through each one to check all of my options to make sure I'm not looking things over.
Kentinal Posted - 21 Jan 2008 : 02:04:34
When 2nd Edition did a very good job, some of the source books even provided random encouter tables for terrain. WotC did, prehaps still does, offer free down loads of these resources.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Jan 2008 : 01:58:27
I don't think that sewers were ever an official category of habitat... But the old 2E Monstrous Compendiums had tables for random encounters, and these were separated out by terrain type.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000