Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Phaerimm/Illithid relations (not for my players)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RIMV Posted - 09 Nov 2007 : 14:49:54
Hello ladies and gents,

I just have a couple quick questions concerning these two nasties. I have been searching through my books concerning these two races (Monsters of Faerun, Lords of Madness and The Underdark books -- I have no access to any Realms books prior to 3E now) and none of them mention the relations between these two aberant species, either that or I have completely missed it.

How do they get along with each other? How do they view each other? Would they ever work together toward common goals? Does Lost Empires of Faerun delve into this at all?

Thanks!

EDIT: Grammar
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
RIMV Posted - 09 Nov 2007 : 19:56:10
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Ooltul is heavily detailed in Drizzt's guide to the Underdark. No detailed map though. It is one of the better Realms products written and a must if you are interested in the Underdark. Good luck with your search for it.

I just snagged a new copy of it from eBay for $20 USD.
Jorkens Posted - 09 Nov 2007 : 19:11:35
Ooltul is heavily detailed in Drizzt's guide to the Underdark. No detailed map though. It is one of the better Realms products written and a must if you are interested in the Underdark. Good luck with your search for it.
RIMV Posted - 09 Nov 2007 : 19:05:54
quote:
Originally posted by Keldren

The only thing that comes to mind would be the Return of the Archwizard's trilogy, in which the Phaerimm enslaved dozens of Illithids to fight for them (Not to mention Beholders, Bugbears and more)

That trilogy is on my list of "must read" novels, so is Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark if I can find a hard copy; I don't like reading e-books on my computer, too much eye strain.

To everyone else, thanks for the replies. I was thinking along the same lines, but wanted to know if there was anything "official" about their relationship.

One more question concerning the nasty underworld Aberations: Has the city of Ooltul ever been detailed with a map and specific locations, or is that city completely up to myself to "create"? The write up for it in The Underdark is pretty good, so if not I think I should have enough information to map it out myself.
Hawkins Posted - 09 Nov 2007 : 17:28:59
quote:
Originally posted by Keldren

The only thing that comes to mind would be the Return of the Archwizard's trilogy, in which the Phaerimm enslaved dozens of Illithids to fight for them (Not to mention Beholders, Bugbears and more)

That said, considering that Illithids consider themselves to be masters of the domination (no double entendre intended ) of "lesser" creatures, I do not think that they would react favorably to critters that can dominate their minds.
Aravine Posted - 09 Nov 2007 : 16:56:39
Evil does not generally like evil so it is just my opinion that they would not work well together.
Keldren Posted - 09 Nov 2007 : 15:52:55
Jorkens Posted - 09 Nov 2007 : 15:50:01
I cant remember ever having seen anything on the subject, but I have a feeling that they would not cooperate very well. Both creatures are highly domineering creatures that see themselves as supreme. With the phaerim being individually far more powerful than the mind flayers there should have to be a balance with the ilithids far outnumbering the Phaerim before there could ever be a question of this happening I think. But both species are intelligent enough to know that the other one is planning to betray them as soon as possible, so it is questionable if it would be worth it for either group. Of course there could be magical control of each other or such, but that's the most likely possibility in my book.

I have a bad memory, so there might be something official on this that I have forgotten in either the Myth Drannor box set or Drizzt's guide to the Underdark.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000