Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Phaerimm/Illithid relations (not for my players)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RIMV
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  14:49:54  Show Profile  Visit RIMV's Homepage Send RIMV a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello ladies and gents,

I just have a couple quick questions concerning these two nasties. I have been searching through my books concerning these two races (Monsters of Faerun, Lords of Madness and The Underdark books -- I have no access to any Realms books prior to 3E now) and none of them mention the relations between these two aberant species, either that or I have completely missed it.

How do they get along with each other? How do they view each other? Would they ever work together toward common goals? Does Lost Empires of Faerun delve into this at all?

Thanks!

EDIT: Grammar

Edited by - RIMV on 09 Nov 2007 19:07:17

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  15:50:01  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cant remember ever having seen anything on the subject, but I have a feeling that they would not cooperate very well. Both creatures are highly domineering creatures that see themselves as supreme. With the phaerim being individually far more powerful than the mind flayers there should have to be a balance with the ilithids far outnumbering the Phaerim before there could ever be a question of this happening I think. But both species are intelligent enough to know that the other one is planning to betray them as soon as possible, so it is questionable if it would be worth it for either group. Of course there could be magical control of each other or such, but that's the most likely possibility in my book.

I have a bad memory, so there might be something official on this that I have forgotten in either the Myth Drannor box set or Drizzt's guide to the Underdark.
Go to Top of Page

Keldren
Acolyte

Austria
18 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  15:52:55  Show Profile  Visit Keldren's Homepage Send Keldren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing that comes to mind would be the Return of the Archwizard's trilogy, in which the Phaerimm enslaved dozens of Illithids to fight for them (Not to mention Beholders, Bugbears and more)

"No sane human would try to wash ink beats with ink, or oil beads with oil. Only blood shall always be washed with blood"
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  16:56:39  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evil does not generally like evil so it is just my opinion that they would not work well together.

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  17:28:59  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Keldren

The only thing that comes to mind would be the Return of the Archwizard's trilogy, in which the Phaerimm enslaved dozens of Illithids to fight for them (Not to mention Beholders, Bugbears and more)

That said, considering that Illithids consider themselves to be masters of the domination (no double entendre intended ) of "lesser" creatures, I do not think that they would react favorably to critters that can dominate their minds.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

RIMV
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  19:05:54  Show Profile  Visit RIMV's Homepage Send RIMV a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Keldren

That trilogy is on my list of "must read" novels, so is Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark if I can find a hard copy; I don't like reading e-books on my computer, too much eye strain.

To everyone else, thanks for the replies. I was thinking along the same lines, but wanted to know if there was anything "official" about their relationship.

One more question concerning the nasty underworld Aberations: Has the city of Ooltul ever been detailed with a map and specific locations, or is that city completely up to myself to "create"? The write up for it in The Underdark is pretty good, so if not I think I should have enough information to map it out myself.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  19:11:35  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooltul is heavily detailed in Drizzt's guide to the Underdark. No detailed map though. It is one of the better Realms products written and a must if you are interested in the Underdark. Good luck with your search for it.

Edited by - Jorkens on 09 Nov 2007 19:12:17
Go to Top of Page

RIMV
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  19:56:10  Show Profile  Visit RIMV's Homepage Send RIMV a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Ooltul is heavily detailed in Drizzt's guide to the Underdark. No detailed map though. It is one of the better Realms products written and a must if you are interested in the Underdark. Good luck with your search for it.

I just snagged a new copy of it from eBay for $20 USD.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000