Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 I tried I really did

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mournblade Posted - 18 Jan 2009 : 17:10:46
SO I attempted to run 4th edition realms, so that I could at least give it an assessment (after reading it, I wanted to throw it in the ocean... but I still tried to see if I could make it work.

My realms has a very tolkeinesque and medieval feel (minus the disadvantages like bad teeth). Three sessions.

We just could not do it.

Waterdeep? The world power becomes a ship graveyard? Please.

homogenized gods, homogenized flavour. If I wanted the Harry Potter type fantasy I would have run Eberron (nothing wrong with it in context).

With that said I WAS sad. However, I am no longer sad, because I received new inspiration. We decided to go back to shadowdale and play that out. WHen we are done with Anauroch, I will then write the adventure where the PC's Aid Mystra in stopping her demise.

Now the 4th ed realm supplements are not total bunk for me. I am using exarchs.

In my campaign a Ranger killed Malar. That ranger is now going to be an exarch, but I have not decided whether or not to bring back Malar.

Talos who was just a face of Gruumsh will have his storm portfolio taken over by THOR whom Tyr has brought over from his other aspect's home.

THere are little nuggets you can glean, though the campaign guide is generally bunk.

This is not a well thought out thread so I apologize, but I recently just reached the decision to continue realms completely independent of support which has renewed my enthusiasm.

4th edition did not destroy the realms. Thankfully 4th edition is so easy to ignore.

It is slightly liberating. Seeing 4th edition books and feeling NO DESIRE to even open it up anymore.

I will take the formalized system of skill challenges out of fourth, and never give the rules system another glance. I have plenty of wargames I can play, I do not need a board game disguised as D&D.

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 13 Feb 2009 : 22:57:39
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Have we delved completely into the realm of Battletech? Heir to the Dragon sounds like it could be a Realms article or something, but the context seems to indicate that it is Battletech.

It was one of the early BattleTech novels; the main character, Theodore Kurita, is heir to the rulership of the Draconis Combine, a nation that emulates feudal Japan and uses a stylized dragon as its emblem.

And, just to finish off this significant side-track before we head back into canon territory, I'll note that Heir to the Dragon is usually considered one of the best BT novels ever written.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Feb 2009 : 18:21:50
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Have we delved completely into the realm of Battletech? Heir to the Dragon sounds like it could be a Realms article or something, but the context seems to indicate that it is Battletech.

It was one of the early BattleTech novels; the main character, Theodore Kurita, is heir to the rulership of the Draconis Combine, a nation that emulates feudal Japan and uses a stylized dragon as its emblem.
Hawkins Posted - 13 Feb 2009 : 17:41:54
The Sage Posted - 13 Feb 2009 : 14:54:17
Yeah, Wooly has the right of it. I'm fairly certain he was mentioned in both Heir to the Dragon and a scenario pack. Which one, I don't recall at the moment.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Feb 2009 : 14:19:56
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'd also watch the Drizzt cartoon... and probably hate myself for it.

Dude, I watched the BattleTech cartoon. And then they made it CANON.

Slight correction there, Ashe. Only parts of the BT animated series are canon. Certain characters, places, etc. There are other aspects that were either too wild or simply too difficult to fit accurately into canon.

And at least one element of it -- Franklin Sakamoto -- was drawn from existing BattleTech lore. It's a very small passage in Heir to the Dragon.

I also think Franklin Sakamoto was referenced elsewhere too. I just can't recall the source at the moment.

I believe it was in the Black Dragon Society books. They were planning on using him to take the Kurita throne.

That was an "after" reference, though. I was referring to the fact that Franklin existed in BT canon before the cartoon came out.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 13 Feb 2009 : 13:18:55
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Slight correction there, Ashe. Only parts of the BT animated series are canon. Certain characters, places, etc. There are other aspects that were either too wild or simply too difficult to fit accurately into canon.

And at least one element of it -- Franklin Sakamoto -- was drawn from existing BattleTech lore. It's a very small passage in Heir to the Dragon.

I also think Franklin Sakamoto was referenced elsewhere too. I just can't recall the source at the moment.

I believe it was in the Black Dragon Society books. They were planning on using him to take the Kurita throne.
The Sage Posted - 13 Feb 2009 : 12:27:50
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Feb 2009 : 07:14:34
quote:

quote:

quote:

Markustay Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 23:13:52
Sounds like our very own Double-Diamond series, some of which has become canon, and the rest was just too... wild.
The Sage Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 23:12:44
quote:

quote:

Markustay Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 23:12:42
I tried that...

My wife threw me out.
ErskineF Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 20:40:08
I go easy on the kids, but I don't tell them. My wife told me when I first started running games for our kids that I wasn't allowed to kill their characters. If they knew that was the rule, though, it wouldn't be as much fun for them. Ironically, the seven yr old boy would probably take having a character killed in stride, but the 12 yr old girl would be devastated. Consequently, he likes combat, and she likes "tea parties" (i.e., roleplaying). I don't know how they became so stereotypically gendered with a dad who stays home and keeps house and a mom who earns all the money, but there ya go.

Markustay Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 19:28:59
During the very first sesssion of the last campaign I ran, wherein I was teaching the game to four new players, I rolled three crtitcal hits in a row!

Rather then slaughter the PCs and make the kids hate the game, I had to 'fudge' things, and a DMPC barged in and killed the baddies.

During a later session, I realized that was a mistake - they took a naturally dislkie to the DMPC (who was an important NPC to my story-arc, before I had to throw him in early to save their butts) and refused to work with him.

When I eventually told them why he (and I) did what 'we' did, I was shocked to find out they would have preferred dying to being 'upstaged'.

Go figure... next time I just allow the TPK.
ErskineF Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 18:25:23
I rolled three straight 1s on a hand grenade toss while playing Gamma World. We still haven't found that die. I slung it across the room so hard, I think it entered hyperspace.

quote:

Its seems the only time I ever roll well is when I'm the DM, much to the chagrin of my players.

Sounds like our DM. His wife is wiccan, and I regularly accuse her of performing dark rites on his dice. It doesn't help that she's offered him sexual favors for each character kill.

Hell, I got a shoulder rub from her just for getting into negative hit points this past Sunday. My little rogue may have to start tanking.
Markustay Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 17:31:02
Sounds like when I played B5 Miniatures...

I was the Centauri - you know... the guys with a gazillion guns on their massive ships...

And I'd do a 'fly by' and only 1-2 of my 300 guns* would score!

Its seems the only time I ever roll well is when I'm the DM, much to the chagrin of my players.

*Thats a bit of an exagerration - I think it as closer to 37 or some-such. Still, lousy hit ration considering the sheer numbers.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 17:16:55
quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

One of these days I will have to find out what BattleTech actually is, as the theme comes up regularly in these pages.

It's another setting that isn't what it was. They blew it up with an event called the Jihad which, in my opinion, is even more nonsensical than the Sellplague.

That's very true, but the nice thing about BattleTech is that the game itself relies very little on canon since it's mostly a wargame*. Ironically, whenever I play, I seem to develop a very bad Scottish accent which has led to death by 'friendly fire' on occasion. Read too many Gray Death Legion and Northwind Highlander novels...

*Yes, there is a RPG set in the universe, but when you can stomp around in 100 ton mechs, why do you want to emote your feelings?

I've played the minis game, but it's the BattleTech fiction that got me into it. I liked the fiction a lot more than the game.

Oh, and the Dice Gods hate me playing BattleTech, too. More than once, I've tried an alpha strike with 3+ weapons, and only had the smallest one hit, and there was once I had all five weapons miss, when I only needed to roll a 7 or better! When you barely move and still can't hit with pulse weapons, a targeting computer, and close range, then you're playing the wrong game.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 17:07:25
quote:

quote:

One of these days I will have to find out what BattleTech actually is, as the theme comes up regularly in these pages.

It's another setting that isn't what it was. They blew it up with an event called the Jihad which, in my opinion, is even more nonsensical than the Sellplague.

That's very true, but the nice thing about BattleTech is that the game itself relies very little on canon since it's mostly a wargame*. Ironically, whenever I play, I seem to develop a very bad Scottish accent which has led to death by 'friendly fire' on occasion. Read too many Gray Death Legion and Northwind Highlander novels...

*Yes, there is a RPG set in the universe, but when you can stomp around in 100 ton mechs, why do you want to emote your feelings?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 15:49:53
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 15:48:41
quote:

quote:

I loved that cartoon... It was bad, but I loved it.
Jorkens Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 15:44:03
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 15:27:02
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 15:26:08
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

quote:

I could just see a set of 'action figures', and an Adventures of Drizzt cartoon.

Oh sure, like you wouldn't run out and buy all seven of the Seven Sisters.

Hell, Markus that's actually a good idea! They'd have to go back to the 2e look though. That 3e Storm is just pathetic.

Yes, I probably would buy the whole set...

But only if it was 'anatomically correct'.

===================================================

And as for it being a good idea - I actually was going to write Hasbro a letter once, explaining to them a MUCH better way to market their miniatures.

I have small children who just LOVE to play with all the minis, and 'playsets' featuring scenes from the novels (like Companions of the Hall vs Shimmergloom), along the lines of the ones that micromachines used to do for Star Wars (and I have all of them), would appeal to kids (of appropriate age, of course - small parts and all..)

You market them under the 'Forgotten Realms' logo, NOT the D&D logo - believe it or not, some parents will sill avoid anything with those words on it - and then include a set of D&D stat cards inside the box, with a set of 'Basic Starter Rules' for the 'Advanced Game'.

What you now have is a bunch of parents unknowingly going out and buying their kids D&D 'toys', and slipping a tantalizing tease into the box for the regular game.

You market them in toy stores, right where they used to sell the micromachines Star Wars crap and the MIghty Max playsets - both around the same size and niche I'm picturing - and you sell a bazillion of them around the Holidays - serepticiously implanting the idea of a 'bigger, better game' somewhere out there.

You also mention the 'booster packs' - most of which will only be available in the 'speciality shops' (LGS), and you include one of those small catalogue-thingies to get the kids drooling over the stuff they don't have yet.

You get 'the masses' of unwashed children both interested in D&D and get them to drag their parents to game stores to buy more 'booster packs'... just as they did when they wanted Pokémon cards.

I have four boys; I KNOW this would work, and it would probably save D&D from crashing and burning within the next few years (thanks to video games), but since I'm no longer interested in saving the hobby for HASBRO, I never wrote the letter...

But it WOULD work.

Edit: And unfortunately, turn the game into exactly what I detest, and what 4e is all about - combat encounters.

That wouldn't work -- it's intelligent marketing. And thus they would never allow it.
ErskineF Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 15:19:20
quote:

And life size?

quote:

I have the old D&D cartoon in the Netflix queue "for the kids."

quote:
I have four boys; I KNOW this would work,

Oh, heck yes it would work. My seven yr old already saves up his pitiful $3/wk allowance to buy their miniatures.

quote:
Edit: And unfortunately, turn the game into exactly what I detest, and what 4e is all about - combat encounters.

That's what it was in the beginning, and that's what the kids want. They can grow out of it given the chance, but you're not going to get ten yr old boys interested by marketing it as tea parties with orcs.
Markustay Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 14:36:47
quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

quote:

I could just see a set of 'action figures', and an Adventures of Drizzt cartoon.

Hell, Markus that's actually a good idea! They'd have to go back to the 2e look though. That 3e Storm is just pathetic.

===================================================

And as for it being a good idea - I actually was going to write Hasbro a letter once, explaining to them a MUCH better way to market their miniatures.

I have small children who just LOVE to play with all the minis, and 'playsets' featuring scenes from the novels (like Companions of the Hall vs Shimmergloom), along the lines of the ones that micromachines used to do for Star Wars (and I have all of them), would appeal to kids (of appropriate age, of course - small parts and all..)

You market them under the 'Forgotten Realms' logo, NOT the D&D logo - believe it or not, some parents will sill avoid anything with those words on it - and then include a set of D&D stat cards inside the box, with a set of 'Basic Starter Rules' for the 'Advanced Game'.

What you now have is a bunch of parents unknowingly going out and buying their kids D&D 'toys', and slipping a tantalizing tease into the box for the regular game.

You market them in toy stores, right where they used to sell the micromachines Star Wars crap and the MIghty Max playsets - both around the same size and niche I'm picturing - and you sell a bazillion of them around the Holidays - serepticiously implanting the idea of a 'bigger, better game' somewhere out there.

You also mention the 'booster packs' - most of which will only be available in the 'speciality shops' (LGS), and you include one of those small catalogue-thingies to get the kids drooling over the stuff they don't have yet.

You get 'the masses' of unwashed children both interested in D&D and get them to drag their parents to game stores to buy more 'booster packs'... just as they did when they wanted Pokémon cards.

I have four boys; I KNOW this would work, and it would probably save D&D from crashing and burning within the next few years (thanks to video games), but since I'm no longer interested in saving the hobby for HASBRO, I never wrote the letter...

But it WOULD work.

Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 13:55:35
Oh, by the way. If you go to Wizard's Consolidated Lists page, you can look up all the 3.0/3.5 published items below.
  • Invocations - 126

• Monsters - 2678

• Spells - 1606

• Feats - 3304

• Classes - 175

• Prestige Classes - 782

Granted, there are a lot of duplicates since it lists an item each time it's published (Purple Knight were published 3 times, Complete Warrior, FRCS and PGtF), but that's still a lot of stuff.

scererar Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 13:33:01
quote:

Ahhh, I see...

So 'Power' has replaced the over-used and rather innacurate 'Complete' now.

Gives a whole new meaning to Power of Faerūn now.

I can just see the ads... "Now you're playing with POWER!". <retch>

these truly are no different then the too numerous complete, races, or environmental setting books for 3E. I still come across PRC's that I had either forgotten about or never saw. I have almost all of the 3 and 3.5 setting core and FR sourcebooks. I imagine 4E will run a similar course providing expanded options for players and DM's alike.
ErskineF Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 04:02:45
quote:

Markustay Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 03:57:33
Ahhh, I see...

So 'Power' has replaced the over-used and rather innacurate 'Complete' now.

Gives a whole new meaning to Power of Faerūn.

I can just see the ads... "Now you're playing with POWER!". <retch>
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 10 Feb 2009 : 18:58:26
quote:

Are there ANY core splatbooks planned? That would almost seem counter-productive to their current model....

Those would be the 'Power' books they are publishing. The first was Martial Power and I think it will be followed up by Arcane Power (4/2009), Divine Power (7/2009) and Primal Power (10/2009) in the coming year.

Edit: Added dates.
Markustay Posted - 10 Feb 2009 : 18:38:49
"Skins"

I like that... A LOT. Its very appropriate.

The fact that certain classes will only appear in certain PG's is indication that someone needs to purchase at least that much each year, just to have the 'complete rules'. As an example, on a recent 'dip' into the Eberron Boards (what can I say... I go 'slumming' sometimes ), I noted that many of the 4e players had purchased the FRPG just for the Swordmage class. Interesting... it appears their evil plans are working...

<did I just hear some 'evil-villain' laughter off on the distance?>

They're taking the same approach with races - having them only appear in certain CG's, but that is less an issue for players, I would think, and thats pretty-much always been the case anyway. As a DM, I always bought ALL the setting guides, even for worlds I never planned to run, just to gleen the monsters/races from them.

Anyway, with most of the game rules appearing in the yearly setting books, that seems to be the only way (as of right now) for people to get 'expansion material' in printed form, so I can believe that we are moving well-away from setting-fans and more toward "D&D fans" as time goes on.

Are there ANY core splatbooks planned? That would almost seem counter-productive to their current model....

quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

I kinda hope the numbers don't work for them.
I understand the sentiment...

But I keep thinking, if 4eFR tanks, something even worse may happen to it.

I'm not talking about IP-death - I could stand to see FR be 'retired' as an active setting. What would be even worse is for Hasbro to 'deconstruct' it even further, turning it into a line of toys (the miniatures probably make more then the books).

Oh yes... there are worse things then death....

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000