Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide Cover

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Uzzy Posted - 12 Dec 2007 : 16:20:14
Lookie here.

Yep. That's who you think it is on the front cover. *sigh*
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Brian R. James Posted - 10 Apr 2008 : 19:38:35
Rino is absolutely correct.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 10 Apr 2008 : 15:10:26
quote:
Originally posted by ShepherdGunn

Hey, Hawkins, your petition's down for maintenance. LOL

I think the cover's a lot better than the "Drizzt does Faerun" cover. I personally would like the FR logo as well, but I think FR is the "new" core setting, like Greyhawk was the "core" setting for 3ed. I kinda hope not, though.

The FR is not the "core setting", at least according to what the designers have said in the past. Based on everything I've read so far (which is a lot, as I've kept tabs on all the hype), there isn't going to be a "core setting"; when the designers refer to "core", or the "core setting", they are really talking about a collective of ideas and concepts that they think 4E D&D should have. There are place names tossed about (ie. Bael Turath), but there isn't going to be a world map with realms laid out on it or anything.
ShepherdGunn Posted - 08 Apr 2008 : 10:26:20
Hey, Hawkins, your petition's down for maintenance. LOL

I think the cover's a lot better than the "Drizzt does Faerun" cover. I personally would like the FR logo as well, but I think FR is the "new" core setting, like Greyhawk was the "core" setting for 3ed. I kinda hope not, though.
Hawkins Posted - 07 Apr 2008 : 17:01:20
Not sure if it will do any good, but for anyone who is interested, I started a petition to add the FR logo to the 4e FR Campaign Guide and Player's Guide here on the WotC Forums.
scererar Posted - 07 Apr 2008 : 02:08:04
the Picture is cool, but I agree and have stated before, that the lack of a forgotten realms logo is annoying. The current graphics lends one to believe core, which is not an entirely bad thing, but I would rather it remain an independent setting.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 07 Apr 2008 : 01:54:18
It annoys me, too, how there is no FR logo in sight.
Dart Ambermoon Posted - 05 Apr 2008 : 02:13:20
Cool Badass...check!
Cool mount...check!
Big Ass Sword...check!
No logo...check!

Nothing to appeal to Realms-fans...everything to appeal to munchkins. Meh...
Markustay Posted - 05 Apr 2008 : 02:00:09
I still don't see a logo... Eberron got a logo.

I refuse to buy any product without a Realms logo on it, because any product without a logo is obviously CORE.

Despite anything to the contrary they have told us.

And the fact that it's a Shade on the cover doesn't help at all...
Uzzy Posted - 05 Apr 2008 : 01:55:17
Well, the updated one has been published in a British trade magazine. Picture here.
SirUrza Posted - 09 Mar 2008 : 01:59:04
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

Will the shade be a scantily clad female twisted in an awkward pose that optimally shows off her buttocks and breasts?

I sure do hope so. :P
gomez Posted - 04 Mar 2008 : 08:37:08
The question now is:
Will the shade be a scantily clad female twisted in an awkward pose that optimally shows off her buttocks and breasts?

And Is till like the tome idea better. But I guess they needed a different look to set it apart form 3rd ed.
Change for the sake of change, etc.
Faraer Posted - 02 Mar 2008 : 19:53:52
The idea of 'the big evil entities' is -- I wish it were needless to say -- one of the new setting's many outright contradictions of the philosophy of the Realms. So is the crude thinking that the way to make ancient civlizations relevant to play is to bring them back bodily.

As to the use of the Shades in this role, it may or may not be through designer vanity, but I don't like it.
SirUrza Posted - 02 Mar 2008 : 19:37:05
I predict a shade of neverill will emerge as a semi-emo choatic good hero before the end of 2009. :)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 02 Mar 2008 : 02:34:45
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

“The Cover is a Shade of Neverill riding a dragon. The Shades are back as a force in the FR - the big evil entities in the new Realm!”

Well, isn't that something new and different (*yawn*).

I was pretty underwhelmed by the cover, although to be fair the video I saw it in was rather "murky".
SirUrza Posted - 01 Mar 2008 : 22:33:53
Maybe, maybe not. Personally I like the thought of Elminster in the background looking over the hero of today.
Stonwulfe Posted - 01 Mar 2008 : 20:50:03
When I see Drizz't on the cover, I'm reminded of "Grand History of the Realms", where Todd's fantastic painting is wrapped around the book, changing the artistic feel of the thing. You take a scene where Elminster is standing behind, and supposedly accompanying or watching over Drizz't, and instead put him on the back cover of the book where he appears to be out of sight, out of mind. Is this WotC's way of telling Ed that he'll still have a presence, but he's 'back cover'?
Ergdusch Posted - 01 Mar 2008 : 18:16:40
We have a given fact by now:

A link to this link was posted over at WotC boards -

News from the D&D XP seminar

Follow the last link called 'D&D 4th Edition Roleplaying Accessories' and watch until 4:05 to see it (or at least the 'rugh-cut' version):

“The Cover is a Shade of Neverill riding a dragon. The Shades are back as a force in the FR - the big evil entities in the new Realm!”

Edit note: WotC have not removed the placeholder from their porduct site as of yet!
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 12 Feb 2008 : 22:15:16
quote:
Originally posted by coach

i guess they had to go with Drizzt as he is the only known PC still alive in 1479 LOL

Elminster is still alive as well.

Also, in case you haven't heard the news, the "Drizzt" cover is a placeholder--the real cover will feature a Shade Knight (I just love all the focus on shades nowadays!).
coach Posted - 12 Feb 2008 : 19:16:26
i guess they had to go with Drizzt as he is the only known PC still alive in 1479 LOL
Fillow Posted - 17 Jan 2008 : 17:56:11
Who is the cover illustrator please ?
Karzak Posted - 17 Jan 2008 : 16:16:42
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

At least the cover is not some trumped up, bathed and stuffed into human clothing, Orc King.

Oh, tsk, we all know it'd sell even better than Drizzt to put Thrall on the cover. Hail Warchief of the Horde!
Alisttair Posted - 17 Jan 2008 : 12:11:09
I can;t see the pic as the Wizards site is blocked at work (something about the category of Games being dissalowed)
Ergdusch Posted - 17 Jan 2008 : 11:44:31
My late tidbits to this - as I must have missed this thread before and can't keep my mouth shut and my opinion unspoken:

I actually like the pic of Drizzt even though he is not the iconic Realms character to me. A Shade knight is not either - actually. But whatever picture is on tzhe front cover of the 4th does not really matter to me. However, the worst thing is that they actually keep the design of the Core books.

I really liked the FR §rd Ed design with its unique design - this old tome like design that you would find on every FR product (except the Monster Manual unfortunatelly). Now, with this new design strategy - not even a FR logo on the cover anymore - the Realms are being published as a Core setting IMO.

Bottomline: I don't like what I see.
Kentinal Posted - 28 Dec 2007 : 15:48:51
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Then they could have just called Thultanthar an "empire".

Yes they could have, perhaps just decided not to.

You can still not like the Empire, I just provided a way that they might perhaps get away with calling themselves an Empire. Of course you do not have to use it.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 28 Dec 2007 : 15:34:57
Then they could have just called Thultanthar an "empire".
Kentinal Posted - 28 Dec 2007 : 15:31:03
Hmm, BD&D had a rule that when founding a donain the PC could select any Noble title they wanted. Of course nearby Nobles established by linage would have a negitive reaction is the self proclaimed Noble claimed a rank equal or greater.

That is if the upstart called self Baron, only nearby Barons got upset.
If one called themselves a Duke, all nearby Dukes, Counts and Barons got upset.

Calling a Domian an empire would of course result in all nearby Nobles to be upset. Now upset could be simple refusal to recognise or could result in attack. If no one decides to attack the Netheril Empire, the Netherils can get away with calling there Domain an Empire. *wink*

Of course they also can claim linage back to when more teritory was held. The Roman Empire got very small before it finally fell fully.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 28 Dec 2007 : 15:13:24
quote:
Originally posted by Xandos Anskul

Well technically the Empire of Netheril is already reborn. GHotR explicitly states "The Empire of Netheril is reborn" in the same bit in 1374 where the Shades re-raise the enclave of Sakkors. Since the current year is 1375...

I'd personally said that entry was jumping the gun a bit, then, since (in my VERY humble opinion) two enclaves--one of them only recently rebuilt--do not equal an "empire".
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 28 Dec 2007 : 15:11:49
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:

Right, and if he wasn't enough of a hot seller, Drizzt might well have been killed off too, who knows?

Believe it or not Rin, a good potion of the Drizzt novels sell to people that don't actively play D&D, many of which don't read the other Realms novels, don't know they're part of the same world and have NO clue they have anything to do with D&D.

"Believe or not?" I've already known that for quite a long time.
scererar Posted - 28 Dec 2007 : 05:16:57
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:

Right, and if he wasn't enough of a hot seller, Drizzt might well have been killed off too, who knows?

Believe it or not Rin, a good potion of the Drizzt novels sell to people that don't actively play D&D, many of which don't read the other Realms novels, don't know they're part of the same world and have NO clue they have anything to do with D&D.

just for fun, do you have stats for this or just assuming here
SirUrza Posted - 28 Dec 2007 : 02:34:40
quote:

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000