Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Ed Greenwood on Twitter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 44

Demzer
Senior Scribe

838 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2022 :  18:03:38  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

interesting.... so Ao doesn't know and understand the realms... almost like his power is overblown.

Knowing and understanding something have nothing to do with power level. We've already seen his power level demonstrated.

A CEO doesn't need to understand what his workers do to be able to fire them.

And yet he had no understanding of why a previous god "died" ... and he's stating that "he just changed how the power dynamics work for gods"... so what exactly did he demonstrate versus what are we PERCEIVING he demonstratred based on his words. I mean, if he lied about just changing the rules for gods.... what else did he overblow about his own power level?

Again, he's demonstrated his power level. I don't understand this insistence that he's not all that powerful when we have seen that he is.

To be fair I would take it more as Ao having to remind the dieties (and actually tell the new ones) that they had to give at least half a rat's arse of consideration to their followers and worshipers.

In Faerun game canon, Ao is top dog period (at least since 2E's Faiths and Avatars) but he/she/it doesn't interact with mortals of the Prime. In Faerun novel canon, Ao has shown he/she/it can spank all deities at once and has appeared on Faerun at least once, to Elminster, to try and make him the new Mystra (can't remember the reference offhand).

So whatever the exact bounds of his/her/its power might be, Ao is (in both canons) able to run roughshod over the entire pantheon.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
516 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2022 :  15:27:33  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On bridges into Crimmor from the north

https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1538876142106689537
https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1538877066896191493

Jun 20, 2022

@newbiedm

Ed, am I missing something? No word on whether there are bridges into Crimmor from the north, crossing the Alandor river. Lots of talk of barges.... Is that the only way in from the north? Does the Trade Way effectively stop on north shore of Alandor?

@TheEdVerse

It does. Crimmor is located precisely where it is because it grew from the "big muddy shore where all the barges and ferries are pulled up/loaded/unloaded." The soft river bottom makes bridgebuilding difficult/expensive, and currents make floating bridges impractical.

@newbiedm

So if you're headed in from the north? Pay a barge and hope for the best?

@TheEdVerse

Or take a long, long detour (usually upriver) to where there's a bridge or a safe ford.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
516 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2022 :  10:24:25  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Gullykin near Durlag's Tower

https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1539014058837524481

Jun 21, 2022

@CraigKVincent

Regarding Gullykin near Durlag's Tower; Volo claims its a Halfling town, FRCS 3e says Human/Gnome. Volo has more info so I prefer that, but do you have an opinion? I also put it 1/2 way between Durlags and Uldoon Trail, is that about right or is it closer to Durlags?

Durlag's Tower near the forest, Gullykin just west of Firewine Bridge ruins. Is that too far away?

<https://twitter.com/CraigKVincent/status/1538941164283432960/photo/1>

@TheEdVerse

Hi!

Gullykin is about 80 percent halflings, but several adventuring bands retired there to make wine and “trailmeet” and other agricultural products for a living, and some of their human and gnome members became envoys for the village and most of its ruling “Moot” (council of nine). Which led some outsiders to think Gullykin had become a human-and-gnome settlement. The truth: gnomes are about 6 percent of the population, and humans about 10 percent.

Your locations are good! One note: Durlag’s Tower stands in a lightly forested dell; what it’s close to it’s the edge of the dense main forest that hasn’t been logged “as long as anyone can remember” and is thick and nigh-trackless (impassable for wagons, riders who try to stay mounted, or any groups of folk trying to walk in any sort of formation). I say “nigh” because there ARE game-trails.

The countryside around Gullykin is gently-rolling farmland and ranchland, with plentiful springs and ponds, small woodlots everywhere, and a maze of winding dirt wagon-lanes (well signposted).
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
516 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2022 :  10:04:52  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Dracohar

https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1539273003522990081

Jun 21, 2022

@newbiedm

In a 4e era Dungeon Mag, @TheEdVerse introduced a new Forgotten Realms creature/race called a Dracohar, basically a humanoid with the head of a red dragon… i believe that was its one and only appearance in #dnd. Am I wrong?

@ItalianKarsus

I believe that... Actually answers a question of mine. There is one of two large pictures in Secrets of the Magister, FOR13, where one of the wizards involved in a large mage brawl is human other than their suspiciously draconic head. No Greater Dragonhead spell, so...?

@TheEdVerse

Well spotted! And there IS a spell that temporarily gives the caster (or recipient) a huge rack of antlers plus the neck muscles to use them and alter head appearance, and THAT is behind all the "stag headed" casters who appear in Realmslore. Hides the dragon head.

Congrats to you both for stumbling on a hidden-in-plain-sight little mystery of the Realms. (Are the dracohar up to anything collectively? If so, what? How numerous and widespread are they?) I crammed the Realms full of these; interesting to see how and when they get noticed.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
516 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2022 :  13:02:09  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Earth City corresponding to Waterdeep

https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1539733514870038528

Jun 23, 2022

@talonvamp64

Dear Mr. Greenwood, what Earth City corresponds to Waterdeep?

@TheEdVerse

I don't put real-world analogues into the Realms, but Waterdeep is a crossroads cosmopolitan trading port, that dominates its hinterland/is a "gateway," based around a superb natural harbor.

So it functions like medieval London, England, but is unlike it in geography.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 44  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2022 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000