Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Novel Lore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6026 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2022 :  18:37:52  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Did you consider a simpler hypothesis? That Sosdrielle is Sosdrielle Vandree (mother of Liriel, and late mistress of Gromph).

I completely forgot about Liriel's mother, i just assumed that because Vasha the Red is from a 1000 years ago and from the surface she would never have heard of Liriel and as its relatively early on in their meeting i figure that they wouldnt have gotten to declaring parents and grandparents names.

What you are saying makes sense though, i will have to amend my notes, but Maleficent seems a poor choice for a drow name from Elaine, maybe Sosdrielle is Liriel's mother (i doubt Liriel ever knew who her grandmother was) and that did come up in conversation, but Vasha filled in the blanks regarding the rest of Liriel's lineage with a dark fey being like Maleficent from Ruathym.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6026 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2022 :  21:37:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading Escape from Undermountain, not a bad book. Has some interesting bits in it, like a group called the Outcasts which should definitely be tied into Waterdeep lore, some accident involving a mental asylum would work.

We have a Council of Nobles that i've never heard before (its set in the past so chances are the council disbanded).

Then we get to Halaster's apprentices. As far as i understand it there were 7 apprentices, and when i check online i can see that 6 are accounted for with 1 left undetailed.
However, Escape from Undermountain notes Talastria and Orannon as apprentices of Halaster that made the descent into Undermountain a thousand years ago to find their master.

So we now have 8 apprentices. It could be that there were apprentices of the apprentices (when they lived in Halaster's Tower, before they descended to Undermountain), so there term "Halaster's Apprentices" becomes a much larger group that encompasses a number of people learned in the legacies of Halaster and his teachings.

Then there is Muiral, i note that originally Muiral was a great warrior and Halaster's bodyguard. The lore says he became an apprentice but it doesnt say when. It could be that Muiral was never a direct apprentice of Halaster (his transformation speaks of Arcturia's influence) and instead learned his craft from the other apprentices (they would need a warrior to help as they descended into Undermountain). If Muiral did not become an apprentice officially then we have only 5 known apprentices plus Talastria and Orannon which makes 7.

Just a thought

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2022 :  22:47:56  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were seven original apprentices, including Trobriand and Muiral.

There were plenty of other apprentices, but those seven were the first to follow their master into Undermountain.

See Ruins of Undermountain, City of Splendors (boxed set), and City of Splendors: Waterdeep.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36134 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2022 :  01:59:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Reading Escape from Undermountain, not a bad book. Has some interesting bits in it, like a group called the Outcasts which should definitely be tied into Waterdeep lore, some accident involving a mental asylum would work.

We have a Council of Nobles that i've never heard before (its set in the past so chances are the council disbanded).

Then we get to Halaster's apprentices. As far as i understand it there were 7 apprentices, and when i check online i can see that 6 are accounted for with 1 left undetailed.
However, Escape from Undermountain notes Talastria and Orannon as apprentices of Halaster that made the descent into Undermountain a thousand years ago to find their master.

So we now have 8 apprentices. It could be that there were apprentices of the apprentices (when they lived in Halaster's Tower, before they descended to Undermountain), so there term "Halaster's Apprentices" becomes a much larger group that encompasses a number of people learned in the legacies of Halaster and his teachings.

Then there is Muiral, i note that originally Muiral was a great warrior and Halaster's bodyguard. The lore says he became an apprentice but it doesnt say when. It could be that Muiral was never a direct apprentice of Halaster (his transformation speaks of Arcturia's influence) and instead learned his craft from the other apprentices (they would need a warrior to help as they descended into Undermountain). If Muiral did not become an apprentice officially then we have only 5 known apprentices plus Talastria and Orannon which makes 7.

Just a thought

We have at least nine apprentices, not including Talastria and Orannon, whom I don't believe have ever been mentioned outside of this novel. I've not read the novel in a long time, but I'm assuming these two were either would-be apprentices, or they were apprentices that didn't last very long.

There's a lot of references to the Seven, though; I believe they were the first of his apprentices, and the other two (and presumably the two in this novel) came later.

The Ruins of Undermountain names five of them (two are dead, two are alive, the fate of the last is unknown):

Arcturia
Jhesiyra Kestellharp
Muiral the Misshapen
Nester
Trobriand the Metal Mage

The Grand History of the Realms names those five, and fills out the rest of the Seven, adding these names:

Marambra Nyghtsteel
Rantantar

This source explicitly states that these last two were members of the Seven.

The 4E module Halaster's Lost Apprentice names another apprentice, who is described as being "lost to time and history." Finding her identity is part of the adventure. Assuming the PCs succeed, they learn she was a human female named Maerlyn.

Expedition to Undermountain names another "former" apprentice, Nandel Greenward, who is still around and is part of Halaster's Heirs.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Jul 2022 02:01:29
Go to Top of Page

Stones Finder
Acolyte

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2022 :  04:10:51  Show Profile Send Stones Finder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget there were several named apprentices in the Deep Levels boxed set, although I don't think it was specified whether or not they were among the original seven. The Wyllowwood (sp?) was created as a love offering by one apprentice to his druid lover.

Also, I'd be very careful of using Escape from Undermountain as a source of cannon info. It was one of the 3 pre-Spellplague novels that I wrote of as "Not in MY Realms" the moment I finished it. IIRC, there's a scene where a pair of liches literally stumble on a stepped dais and smash themselves to pieces - that makes the humor in "Once Around the Realms" seem highbrow...

Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it - Advice for the 5e design team
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36134 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2022 :  05:30:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stones Finder

Don't forget there were several named apprentices in the Deep Levels boxed set, although I don't think it was specified whether or not they were among the original seven. The Wyllowwood (sp?) was created as a love offering by one apprentice to his druid lover.

I'll have to look through that one again.

quote:
Originally posted by Stones Finder

Also, I'd be very careful of using Escape from Undermountain as a source of cannon info. It was one of the 3 pre-Spellplague novels that I wrote of as "Not in MY Realms" the moment I finished it. IIRC, there's a scene where a pair of liches literally stumble on a stepped dais and smash themselves to pieces - that makes the humor in "Once Around the Realms" seem highbrow...

While I'm inclined to agree, I'm also loathe to toss out a novel just because it was bad. However, the information about those two apprentices is kind of an isolated thing -- it doesn't really affect published Realmslore, one way or the other, to include (or exclude) them, so long as you don't say they were part of the Seven. It doesn't break anything to say they were only briefly apprentices or that they never were apprentices of Halaster's, but claimed otherwise for the PR, or anything else you want to do with them.

Really, the only problematic lore with any of the apprentices is, of course, from 5E, when they turned Jhesiyra Kestellharp, a former Magister, to a babysitter, in Dungeon of the Mad Mage. This can be worked around with a couple of different spins, but so far as I know, that's the only real issue with any edition's lore about Halaster's apprentices.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6026 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2022 :  07:11:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was fine with the liches crumbling. Ed has shown us a variety of lichnee states that are less successful than the complete, secret, and difficult to obtain true lich state.

Telastria and orannon simply were unsuccessful in becoming true liches and their bodies decayed faster than normal.

Another alternative is that we witnessed the birth of demi liches as their bodies finally gave up.

Either way I've not found anything in the novel to warrant exclusion. So far I'd only take out bits of once around the realms and all of RAS names.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6026 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2022 :  17:57:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Escape From Undermountain (1325 DR)
By Mark Anthony

Company of the Red Wolf
Jardis, became friend with Trisa when he caught her picking his purse in Waterdeep, he was a farmboy that had just run away from home carrying his father’s sword. Warrior, strong, never bothers to wear armour anymore except for his studded bracers, leather breeches and two straps across his chest. Wields a two handed glaive in one hand, and a shield [prologue]
Trisa, emerald eyes, red hair, beautiful, rogue [prologue]
Sulbrin, wizard, became friends with Jardis and Trisa when he was just an apprentice mage and helped them in a bar fight against a hobgoblin [prologue]
They had been traveling for years now, finding adventure and a spot of coin where the road and chance took them. [prologue]
Entered Undermountain through the Well of Entry in the Yawning Portal inn [prologue]
All slain by a horde of huge rats near the exit/entrance to Undermountain (where did the rats suddenly come from????) [prologue]

Undermountain
Only in recent years that it has become fashionable to venture into Undermountain [prologue]
Temple of Savras. The giant, sacred idol of Savras the All Seeing sat upon its onyx dais in meditative repose. White stone hands rested calmly upon white stone knees, palms upward in a gesture of supplication. Blank stone eyes gazed from a placid stone face, while a single crystal shone (known as the Third Eye of Savras) like a star in the centre of the idol's smooth stone brow. 500 years old and remained undisturbed and had never been defiled. Protected by magic (what????), a beam of moonlight shines on the crystal in its forehead, if the beam is broken the doom of Savras will befall the defiler. [prologue]
The Third Eye of Savras was worth an entire chest full of gold [prologue]
Temple of Savras located within a large room with circular columns. The temple is accessed via a circular door. If the status is defiled its face changes to a grotesque mask twisted in fury, the columns begin to topple and the circular door closes like an iris. [prologue]
Circular chamber with a red stone statue of a well muscled humanoid some 40 ft tall. Its hand and fingers (some snapped off) outstretched it shoots lightning towards two doors on opposite sides of the chamber that ricochet off and crackle around the chamber. The statue is hollow and a secret button opens a hidden panel between its shoulders blades. Stairs in the statue lead down below the circular chamber [2]
A high basalt archway shaped like a gaping mouth. Marks the entrance to the territory of the Outcasts, the city's malformed, its ill, its mad. Driven underground over the years they retreated into the sewers and then into Undermountain. They welcome other broken people but hate whole and healthy people. Their hatred melded with some dark magic that lingers in these corridors even now. The very stones exude an evil enchantment like a foul odour. The Outcasts don't kill those who intrude upon their territory, instead they twist their bodies and minds, turning the intruders into Outcasts like themselves. [3]
The Outcasts tunnels walls were strangely curved and ridged. A dark, glistening mucus covered them, dripping onto the floor, which was nauseatingly soft and spongy under their feet. In all, the tunnel seemed as if it had not been hewn of stone, but was alive. Glossy shapes were embedded in the wall, livid and throbbing, like huge organs. The Outcasts embed people into the walls and tendrils appear and pump the victims full of dark fluids that transform them into Outcasts. [3]
The Emerald Fountain, kills any who drink from its waters [3]
Teleportation magic doesn’t work out of Undermountain, but gates and portals do [3]
Horned Ring of Undermountain, Halaster made many of them (they are uncommon). It allows the wearer to teleport anywhere in Undermountain below where they currently are. If the rubies of the ring are removed, then multiple people can teleport with the wearer [13]
Midnight Lake [13]
None of the apprentices found Halaster [13]
The Wish Gate, will take anyone entering it wherever they wish to go [13]

Waterdeep
Lord Darien Thal, scion of House Thal, high advisor to the Circle of Nobles, heavy lidded green eyes. Member of the Thal noble family. Missing his right hand, his stump has a device that allows him to fit different tools like a stiletto, etc. Entitled, arrogant, snobbish [prologue,1]
Halaster built a tower on the slopes of Mount Waterdeep on a rocky shoulder when Waterdeep was only a fishing village. [prologue]
Whether compelled by magic, madness, or some burning secrecy, in time Halaster began to delve into the mountain beneath his tower. As the years passed, he dug ever downward, excavating vast chambers in which to work his magical experiments. Some say that as he went he struck delvings deeper and more ancient yet—the tunnels of dark elves and dwarves. From these he drove the drow and duergar, and claimed the tunnels for his own. Eventually, Halaster abandoned his tower, and the uppermost levels of his labyrinth as well. Deeper and deeper he went, driven by his secret needs, until he passed from all knowledge. Soon, hordes of dire, nameless creatures crawled out of the cold and lightless Underdark to haunt the empty corridors and chambers that the mad wizard had left behind. In later centuries, as Waterdeep grew from lowly village to teeming City of Splendors, it pressed against the rocky shoulders of Mount Waterdeep. Eventually, those who haunted the sewers beneath the city found places where the maze of foul waterways came in contact with Halaster's delvings. Knowledge of this fact soon spread among elements of the city's underworld. Thus the upper halls of Undermountain became a refuge for bands of criminals and cults dedicated to evil and forbidden gods. When the hidden Lords of Waterdeep finally assumed control of the city a century ago, most of these sinister organizations were rooted out and destroyed. After that, Undermountain was left to brood in its own silent darkness. Durnan was the first to descend into Undermountain in recent times and return bearing tales of wonder and the riches to prove them. Seven times Durnan journeyed beneath Mount Waterdeep, and seven times he returned triumphant. At last he retired from the adventuring life and built his inn, the Yawning Portal, right over the entrance into Undermountain he had discovered. Some whispered that it was upon this very spot that the tower of Halaster once stood. All that was nearly twenty years ago. Now Durnan was a gruff innkeeper, not a hero. Yet he kept the Well of Entry ever open. Would-be heroes came from all over Faerun to pay one gold coin and take their chances in the maze below. A few of them found wealth and fame. Most of them found death. Either way, lucre changed hands in the tavern above as bets concerning the adventurers' fates were settled. [prologue]
Many nobles had constructed their own private entrances into the labyrinth, and the rest curried their favour. To the nobility of Waterdeep, venturing into Undermountain to hunt trophies of kobold or goblin was no different than the manner in which country lords rode into their greenwoods in search of hart or stag. Always the nobles went in large, well-armed parties and ventured down only well-known passageways. There was little true danger in these excursions. It was an expensive and stylish game, and that was all. [prologue]
The Magisters Prison, inside it is the Pit, a vast chamber, its floor fifty feet below—the center of the prison, five levels of cells lined the perimeter of the Pit, each bordered by a narrow catwalk. In the far wall was a massive stone slab of a door. At present, the door was raised, held up by a chain that passed through a ring in the ceiling and hooked to a large counterweight. A dozen armed guards stood before the open portal. At the bottom of the Pit a massive iron ball was tied with a rope to a ring in the wall. The ball was, in turn, attached to a long chain dangling from above—the counterweight to the door. [1]
Melthis, wizard in service to Lord Darien Thal [1]
"Three days ago, in search of sport, a hunting party consisting of several nobles and their attendants ventured into the upper levels of Undermountain. By accident, one of the nobles, Lord Corin Silvertor, was separated from the rest of the party. Lord Silvertor has not yet been found. [1]
A heart jewel, a small blue crystal with a faint light flickering inside, magical stones, each linked to the one it is created for. The light within pulses in time to his heart, the nearer the jewel is to its master, the brighter the light. [1]
Lord Darien Thal possesses Lord Corin Silvertor’s heart jewel so knows he is still alive and that he is likely in Undermountain [1]
Lord Rithilor Koll had an untimely death. He was a member of the Circle of Nobles (the seventh seat). In two days time a vote will be held to choose the seventh seat on the Circle of Nobles, Lord Corin Silvertor is the favoured candidate [1]
A back alley in Dock Ward has a hidden passage that leads to the upper halls of Undermountain, accessed by tapping a magic staff on a particular stone. The slimy passage leads west under Mount Waterdeep and slides down towards a wall of spikes, at the spiked wall is a weight sensitive pit trap with a 60 ft drop below it into a circular chamber with a huge red stone statue [2]
The Magisters had outlawed the Cult of Malar years ago in Waterdeep because theirs was a bloody and violent religion. Malar was held to be the master of all beasts, but he did not love them. Rather, he considered them tools to be used as he wished in order to further his evil machinations. And, to Malar, humans were just another kind of beast. Banished from the city above, the priests must have found their way into Undermountain and continued their worship in secret. [10]
House Silvertor is one of the oldest in the city, and there has always been a Silvertor on the Circle of Nobles [12]
Darien slew Mathis. Corin slew Darien. Artek survived. Beckla ended up with Corin [14]

Artek Ar’talen
Artek Ar'talen, known also as Artek the Knife, had once been Waterdeep's most famous and elusive criminal. He had preyed most often upon the nobility, if not those of the common folk. He was locked up by the Magisters over a year ago. A quarter orc (half orc father), the blood of the Garug-Mal runs in his veins, the orc-kindred of the Graypeak Mountains. [prologue]
Tried to give up being a thief but was arrested when he tried to rescue a countess from a robbery. [prologue]
Coal black eyes, deep olive skin, well muscled [1]
Given an enchanted sabre (cursed to keep him fighting until all enemies are dead, but deadly in combat, also enchanted so that it cannot harm Darien Thal) and a small golden box that will create a gate out of Undermountain to Waterdeep. In truth the gate will take them deeper into Undermountain (very deep, was it always set to go that deep, who made the box and how did they set the gate to such a deep level????) [1,3,4,14]
Branded by methis with a tattoo of a stylized sun and moon, with an arrow next to it. In the center of the wheel was a grinning skull. The sun and moon move, if two days pass it will trigger a shock spell that will kill him [1]
Son of Arturg, son of Arthaug, and he had been a high chief among the orcs of the Graypeak Mountains (orcs of the Graypeak Mountains known as the Garug Mal) [2]
From time to time, the orcs had raided human settlements at the foot of the mountains, capturing men and women and bringing them back to the orc warrens to work as slaves, digging and tunnelling. It was upon one of these human women that Arthaug had sired Arturg. Not long after this, Arthaug was deposed in an overthrow engineered by a rival orcish chief. Arthaug was forced to flee the warrens of the Garug-Mal, and he took young Arturg with him. Arthaug plotted for the day he would return to the Graypeak Mountains and become high chief of the Garug-Mal again. However, he died in exile—slain in a duel with highwaymen—without ever again laying eyes on the tunnels of his homeland. After his death, his half-orc son was left to fend for himself. Fully grown at the age of ten, Arturg was brutish in appearance. However, he could pass for a human man, at least in dim light. Remembering the power of the brigands who had killed his father, he made his way in the overworld as a rogue, though he never managed to rise far above petty theft. His companion was a human witch named Siraia, who died giving birth to Artek. Arturg raised Artek alone, teaching his son all that he knew of stealth and stealing. When Artek was seven, Arturg was caught robbing a rich merchant in Elturel. There he was beheaded, and with him died the dream of Arthaug. For Artek considered himself human, and he had no desire to return to the Graypeak mountains to claim rulership of the Garug-Mal [2]

Beckla Shadesar
Wizard [2]
She was tall—a good head taller than Artek was—and sleek, with close-cropped brown hair. Her too-square jaw and crooked nose precluded prettiness, but there was something warmly compelling about her deep brown eyes. Her clothes were better suited to a young prince out hunting than a wizard or a woman—worn leather breeches, a full white shirt, and a gray vest. However, the garb was dirt-smudged and threadbare, as if she had been wearing it for a long time. [2]
Artek once stole a chest full of emeralds from her old employer (Vermik????) [2]
Lives in Undermountain, has a tiny chamber with a magically locked door filled with old scavenged junk [2]
A year ago, I took a job working for a moneylender in the South Ward of Waterdeep. His name was Vermik. He was vile-tongued and foul-tempered, but he paid well. Beckla used magic to make his coins heavier while he shaved the edges off. He laundered a lot of money and got rich. Then Beckla accidentally transformed him into a green slime. Beckla fled into the sewers and ended up in Undermountain [2]
Beckla did not enter Undermountain a year ago, actually was hired by Lord Darien Thal a few hours after Artek entered to find him and help him get to Corin and then get them to use the teleport box. In return Darien promised to make her a great mage. In order to help her escape Darien gave her a horned ring (which unfortunately only takes the wearer deeper) [13]

Other Lore
Dwarven firebrandy. Rare and expensive. Its intoxicating effects vanish instantly when you want it too (cancelled by adrenaline????) [2]
Blood-wine [3]
The Dead Goblin, a type of dance [3]
"Guhr og noth!" an orcish oath (of vengeance????) [3]
"Morth al haugh nothok, Artek Ar'talen! Bettah al nothokari!" –orcish it means “Your heart is not that of an orc. It is that of a goblin.” [4]
There was no greater insult among orc kindred than to have one's heart compared to a goblin's. It was an accusation of cowardice, a brand of worthlessness. [4]
"Malth al nothilk, Artek Ar'talen!" – orcish it means “ Your ears are made of cheese, Artek Ar'talen.'
A dreamserpent, a tiny serpent with ruby eyes and emerald scales. Its bite brings long sleep that cannot be disturbed [7]
A two-masted schooner, small, sleek, and highly manoeuvrable. Such crafts were a common and much-feared sight along the Sword Coast, for they were favoured by pirates for their speed and agility. [7]
A wound tainted with the filth of a zombie will fester. Gradually, the victim's body will start to die. But he won't stop moving. Instead, the victim will become a zombie himself [9]
Vaasan thunderhooves. [10]
Lance Board, a game played on a black and white checked board. Dwarf (known as soldiers) replace pawns, tusked ogres with long arms replace rooks, knights replace knights, robed sorcerers replace bishops King and Queen replace King and Queen [10]
Ur thokkar! – a swear word in orcish [12]
Sword shark [14]
Finball, a game of sport played by mermen [14]

Lord Corin Silvertor
A young man with a pale face, golden hair, and blue eyes [3]
Lord Corin was invited by Lord Darien Thal to a hunt in Undermountain. They entered through Lord Thal’s private entrance, a dozen strong. They were to head to the Emerald Fountain so Corin could drink the waters and become wise beyond his years (in reality he would die) [3]
Lord Darien Thal was pretending to be Corin Silvertor’s friend. If Corin Silvertor dies, Darien Thal would gain the 7th seat on the Council of Nobles [3]
His father used to beat and whip him as a child [12]
His mother died in childbirth and when his father got drunk and lots at gambling he would hurt Corin [12]
Corin’s older brothers died. Corlus died of the red fever, and Cordair got a knife in the heart when he was caught cheating at dice in a tavern by the harbour. Then this winter my father finally died (1324 DR????). [12]

Muiral’s Gauntlet
A chamber with four walls and no door. Each wall covered with a frieze of tortured souls. The chamber has not been disturbed by a living thing in countless centuries. The room is trapped to have the walls crush anyone who triggers the trap by twisting the head of one of the tortured souls. Twisting an arm causes the floor to fall away leaving a 10 ft drop into a corridor [4]
A chamber filled with wraith spiders who are immune to non magical weapons, vulnerable to fire, and have webs with similar immunities and vulnerabilities. [5]
Muragh Brilstagg, in life, Muragh had been a priest of Lathander—and at least as loquacious as he was now. He relentlessly pestered an evil mage to give up his dark ways, and the mage secretly cast a magical curse on Muragh. Shortly thereafter, Muragh's loose tongue landed him in a bar fight in which he received a knife in the heart, and his body was tossed into a dark alley. Though dead, Muragh found that he could still think and talk—apparently thanks to the evil mage's curse. After decomposing for a week or so, Muragh was found by a drunken soldier who cut off Muragh's head and tossed it into Waterdeep Harbor. There the fish stripped the flesh from his skull. Eventually, he was found by the mermen. Annoyed with his constant prattling, they took the skull to Waterdeep's City Watch, where Muragh fell into the hands of the duty-wizard. When thieves broke into the wizard's tower, they stole Muragh, thinking him to be a thing of value. That was a mistake. They soon found that no one would pay good gold for a chatterbox skull, and tossed Muragh into the sewers. In time, the waters flowing beneath the city carried Muragh into Undermountain, and the skull had rattled around Halaster's labyrinth ever since. Occasionally, wandering creatures picked him up out of curiosity and carried him for a time, only to drop him before long in some new place. Eventually, he came into the possession of someone named Muiral (he got stuck into a gelatinous cube that slithered its way into Muiral’s Gauntlet. Though Muragh was extremely vague on this point, it seemed that Muiral grew weary of his incessant talking and locked him in this chamber. Muragh had been in Undermountain for at least a dozen years [5]
Nearly a thousand years ago, the wizard forsook his tower on the slopes of Mount Waterdeep and descended into the vast labyrinth he had created below. When he did not return from Undermountain, the Seven— powerful mages in their own right—boldly ventured into the dark depths in search of him. There they found magical tricks and deadly obstacles, and the deeper they went, the more difficult grew the riddles, the more perilous became the traps. The Seven soon realized that this was a test set for them by their master. Believing that whoever reached Halaster first would become his most favored—and thus heir to his most powerful magic—the Seven strove against each other. Each tried to go deeper than the rest and be the first to find their mysterious master. Whether or not the apprentices ever succeeded in finding Halaster, no one knew. Only one of the Seven ever returned from Undermountain: Jhesiyra Kestellharp, who became the Magister of Myth Drannor. The other six apprentices remained in Undermountain, and whether they still searched, granted unnaturally long life by their magic, the histories did not tell. [5]
Muiral loves spiders. He's part spider himself. I don't know how he did it, but he fused himself onto the body of a giant spider. He created the wraith spiders in Undermountain. Muiral's quite mad, of course. Searching for his master and failing addled his brain. What little sanity he still possessed after that was destroyed when he grafted himself onto that giant spider's body. His only pleasure comes from toying with the victims he gates down from the surface. He sends them into his Gauntlet and watches to see how far they can get through the maze of dangers he's created. [5]
Muiral’s Gauntlet has steps that lead to a dwarven road was part of Underhall, a city built by the Melairkyn. The Melairkyn disappeared centuries before Halaster stumbled onto their delvings in the course of his excavations. Most likely they were slain by the duergar—dark dwarves who skulked in these halls until Halaster showed up. He decided he wanted Underhall for himself. Not being keen on sharing, Halaster eradicated the duergar like so many rats. After that, Underhall became part of Undermountain proper [5]

Deeper Levels
Talastria and Orannon were two of Halaster’s apprentices, they made it to Underhall on the 56th day since they entered Undermountain. They had to descend 500 steps, a fiend was summoned by Halaster’s magic on every step. At the end of the stairs Talastria and Orannon found their own tombs and became undead lichlings (incomplete liches). Their tombs were guarded by gargoyles that protected Talastria and Orannon, but many were destroyed when Artek and co found them. Their bodies aged over time and became brittle and when they tried to move (when Artek and co disturbed them), they collapsed to dust and were no more. [5,6]
Terrathiguss the gargoyle. Made by Talastria and Orannon, as well all the other gargoyles. Terrathiguss is different though. The gargoyles guarded Talastria and Orannon for a thousand years, destroying intruders. But Terrathiguss felt sympathy for the intruders and stopped attacking. Over time the gargoyles cracked and disintegrated over the centuries until only Terrathiguss was left. Called Guss by Beckla, he leaves with Artek, Beckla, and Corin [6]
A chamber with a shimmering blue pool contains a gate to Arcturia’s abode. Many gates lead to Arcturia’s lair. Arcturia uses illusion to appear beautiful. Her skin was as green and radiant as emeralds, and long hair tumbled about her shoulders in waves of polished jet. She wore a pale, diaphanous shift that seemed to accentuate the lushness of her smooth body rather than conceal it. Blue wings—as fine as those of a dragonfly—fluttered gently behind her. Eyes as bright as the sun shone from her delicate, nymphlike face. In reality her skin was still emerald, but now it was composed of overlying scales, like those of the serpent. Wicked spurs of bone protruded from her elbows, her shoulders, and her knees. Instead of hair, a writhing mass of slimy black tentacles sprang from her head. Her wings were not a fairy's, but rather a foul insect's. Arcturia likes experimenting on people, grafting body parts and modifying them magically, she has done the same to herself. [6,7]
One of Halaster’s apprentices lairs in a room beyond a gigantic room that serves as a real life magical Lance Board (those wishing to gain entry to the room must play Lance Board with themselves as pieces, arrayed against an entire ghostly side of pieces. The apprentice died long ago deciphering a riddle left by Halaster [12]

Wyllowwood
Solthar, he had been a merchant of some sort. While Solthar was traveling, a sudden storm had come upon his caravan. Seeking shelter, he and the rest of the party had entered a cave—only to find themselves in the Wyllowwood in Undermountain [9]
The entire ceiling of the Wyllowwood is a one way gate from a desert (which is in midsummer when Waterdeep is in spring) [9]
Located next to a lake the temple of Malar was series of low buildings constructed of the same rose colored stone as the walls. The buildings were arranged symmetrically around a circular structure that dominated the center of the compound—the high crimson dome they had glimpsed earlier, supported by fluted stone columns. Evidently it was the main temple. [10]
M'tureth, M'ordil, M'kar, priests of Malar in Wyllowwood. Clad in leather armour trimmed with bronze and had crimson cloaks about their shoulders. Feral beast masks of beaten bronze covered their faces. Each wore a mace at the hip, tipped with a heavy bronze claw, and white animal skulls dangled from their belts [10]
In a cult of Malar, the penalty for desecrating a temple is death [10]
In the centre of the temple was a hideous statue wrought of black metal. The priests apparently created more than just masks and maces in their foul smithy. The statue had been crudely forged in the shape of a grotesque, gigantic wolf. Bloody light flickered in its slanted eyes, and rancid smoke poured from its gaping maw, as if some terrible fire burned in the pit of its belly. [10]
A garbage pit in the temple of Malar contains steep tunnels (chutes) that lead to Trobriand’s Graveyard) [10]

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6026 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2022 :  18:25:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a bad novel, not the best by a long shot.

Got some Undermountain locations i've never read about before, and a few i did know about.

A bit of history from Waterdeep 40-50 years ago.

Nothing spectacular or of special interest to point out though.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6475 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2022 :  02:35:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this one. I had missed a bit of the orcish and expanded my lexicon.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6475 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2022 :  02:45:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this one. I had missed a bit of the orcish and expanded my lexicon.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6026 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2022 :  05:37:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I figured you would be interested in the language bits if anything.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Athreeren
Acolyte

41 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2022 :  12:19:25  Show Profile Send Athreeren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The backstory of Muragh in Undermountain and the place itself are expanded in the prequel The Grotto of Dreams, in Realms of the Arcane.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2022 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000