Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lich Drow
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2022 :  16:15:48  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was looking through Daughter Of The Drow when I came across this tidbit:

'Kharza-kzad was now a lichdrow, a dark-elven wizard who existed beyond death, beyond the limitations of mind and body. Invulnerable, nearly invincible, the undead creature could cast at will all the spells gathered throughout its centuries of life.'

This statement is quite a step up from MC Lichdrow.

Does anyone know if this had a source, or was it just Elaine Cunningham amping up a monster type to make it more formidable? (I think she kind of did the same thing with a drow banshee). Is there a source for lichdrow other than the old Ravenloft MC? Granted, the idea of a wand of lichdom flies in the face of all the complicated processes for becoming a lich we got over the years...

Part of me likes this idea of a ultra-lichdrow.

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1217 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2022 :  16:24:31  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is a Lichdrow the Drow's version of a Baelnorn or are all drow that become liches automatically a Lichdrow and not a standard lich?

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2022 :  17:11:34  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Is a Lichdrow the Drow's version of a Baelnorn or are all drow that become liches automatically a Lichdrow and not a standard lich?

Its just the variation of lich that drow become. There was nothing terribly special in the old Ravenloft write up, except they have some od the drow innate abilities and Magic Resistance.

I type lichdrow, because that was what they used for Dyrr. Most other things say lich drow or drow lich.

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 19 Sep 2022 17:14:29
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2250 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2022 :  16:42:24  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Custom transformation is custom.
I would even randomize traits of liches, much like PS had with tieflings.
The wizards taught how to do this inherit their master's version of the process, but most research on their own, so why shouldn't they wind up with slightly different quirks?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36344 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2022 :  17:01:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

The wizards taught how to do this inherit their master's version of the process, but most research on their own, so why shouldn't they wind up with slightly different quirks?

Given that the info we have on liches does generally indicate that each lich had to figure it out on their own, it makes sense to handle each one differently and give them different abilities.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1217 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2022 :  17:03:33  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

That seems reasonable to me. I have an archlich that was created accidently by the interaction of wild magic, a failing Phezult's sleep of ages, and the magic the wizard used to extend his lifespan. Because of that, he has different traits than the typical lich.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36344 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2022 :  19:06:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back in 2E, there was a series of "Van Richten's Guide to" books for Ravenloft, detailing various nastybads and giving ways to make them unique.

He covered liches in one of them; it was later reprinted in Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendium, Volume 2.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1217 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2022 :  20:08:01  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a good point. I forgot about the Van Richten stuff for that archlich. I should dig that out and see what it has. I DID use it for a couple of ghosts. If their story ever gets out, some bard could get some milage out of "The Ghostly Lovers of Iriaebor".

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2022 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000