Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 45

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2004 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2012 :  16:02:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you all liked the write-up of the Vale of Lost Voices.

Next up in my scattershot approach to updating N5 - Under Illefarn, some goblin ranger racial substitution levels.

Goblin Ranger
Goblins have long been allied with worgs, and the two races often live in close proximity. Goblin rangers form a close bond with their tribeís allied worg pack, learning to track by scent, ride worgs into combat, and can select a worg as an animal companion.
Hit Die: d6.

Requirements
To take a goblin ranger substitution level, a character must be a a creature with the goblin subtype (e.g a goblin or a worghestDra350) about to take his 1st, 4th, or 10th level of ranger.

Class Skills
Goblin ranger substitution levels grant the same class skills as the standard ranger class, plus Tumble.
Skill Points at Each Level: 8 + Int modifier (or four times this number as a beginning character).

Class Features
All the following are features of the goblin rangerís racial substitution levels.
Scent (Ex): A goblin ranger can detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell.
He can detect opponents by sense of smell, generally within 30 feet. If the opponent is upwind, the range is 60 feet. If it is downwind, the range is 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at three times these ranges.
A goblin ranger detects another creatureís presence but not its specific location. Noting the direction of the scent is a move action. If it moves within 5 feet of the scentís source, the creature can pinpoint that source.
A goblin ranger can follow tracks by smell, making a Wisdom check to find or follow a track. The typical DC for a fresh trail is 10. The DC increases or decreases depending on how strong the quarryís odor is, the number of creatures, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the trail is cold, the DC increases by 2. The ability otherwise follows the rules for the Track feat. Goblin rangers tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility.
Goblin rangers with the scent ability can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights.
Water, particularly running water, ruins a trail for air-breathing creatures. Water-breathing goblins that have the scent ability, however, can use it in the water easily.
False, powerful odors can easily mask other scents. The presence of such an odor completely spoils the ability to properly detect or identify creatures, and the base Survival DC to track becomes 20 rather than 10.
This substitution feature replaces the standard rangerís class feature of wild empathy.
Mounted Combat: A goblin ranger gains Mounted Combat as a bonus feat at 3rd level, assuming he meets the prerequisites.
This substitution feature replaces the standard rangerís bonus feat of Endurance gained at 3rd level.
Worg Companion (Ex): A 4th-level goblin ranger can select a worg as his animal companion, even though the creature is a magical beast. For the purpose of any of the rangerís spells that affect animals, as well as his use of Handle Animal or wild empathy (if granted by a different class) on the companion, the worg is treated as an animal.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1594 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2012 :  02:01:23  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for the lore posted yesterday and today, Mr. Boyd. It's good to have so precious pieces of Realmslore known in my birthday...

Edit: Well, my birthday was yesterday, on July the 1st, but when I posted the message, at night here in Brazil, it was already July the 2nd there.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 02 Jul 2012 11:50:06
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3253 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2012 :  12:13:59  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed Markus, indeed.

'Tis easier to destroy than to create...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 02 Jul 2012 12:19:17
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
200 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2012 :  17:31:17  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric !
As the "3E perfect-converter of monsters", did you ever updated the "Shadowrath" from the City of Splendors boxed set to 3E ?

Many thanks for the great "Bestiary Volumes", anyway !
Marco
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2004 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2012 :  17:43:29  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

Hi Eric !
As the "3E perfect-converter of monsters", did you ever updated the "Shadowrath" from the City of Splendors boxed set to 3E ?

Many thanks for the great "Bestiary Volumes", anyway !
Marco



If it's not in one of the bestiaries, then no. Tom Costa gets most of the credit for them, IMO.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
200 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2012 :  08:10:01  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

Hi Eric !
As the "3E perfect-converter of monsters", did you ever updated the "Shadowrath" from the City of Splendors boxed set to 3E ?

Many thanks for the great "Bestiary Volumes", anyway !
Marco



If it's not in one of the bestiaries, then no. Tom Costa gets most of the credit for them, IMO.

--Eric

Sorry, I didn't know the "who's done what" for the bestiaries. Anyway, it was a great idea/work.
So, I'm going to update the Shadowrath, basing on the "spectre".
Thanks you for your reply,
Marco
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2012 :  13:55:40  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are the other 2 sembians families in Myth Drannor ones mentioned in any print,
or were they left out for DM's to fill in?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2004 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2012 :  11:27:23  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Are the other 2 sembians families in Myth Drannor ones mentioned in any print,
or were they left out for DM's to fill in?



I think they were left for the DM to fill in.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  07:50:38  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr.Boyd,I have a few questions regarding the triumvirate of Vhaeraun worshipping drow cities in and beneath the Forest of Mir. Hollydaybim, Dallnothax, and Iskasshyol only ever mentioned in Demihuman Deities. Do you have any other notes pertaining to these locations? Anything regarding their above-ground settlements or of the cities themselves? Any little tid-bits you can share would be much appreciated.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2004 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  11:18:55  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Mr.Boyd,I have a few questions regarding the triumvirate of Vhaeraun worshipping drow cities in and beneath the Forest of Mir. Hollydaybim, Dallnothax, and Iskasshyol only ever mentioned in Demihuman Deities. Do you have any other notes pertaining to these locations? Anything regarding their above-ground settlements or of the cities themselves? Any little tid-bits you can share would be much appreciated.



Hmm. I thought there was something on them that Steven did in Empires of the Shining Sea or Lands of Intrigue or something I did in DDGttU. I'd have to go look.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6012 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  12:41:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not wanting to steal your thunder or anything Mr Boyd, but i just recently went through all my sourcebooks cataloguing the lands of Intrigue area (in case my PCs ever went there) and so found reference to these three sites in the various books.

The sourcebooks i read (lands of Intrigue was one of them) place them in the Forest of Shilmista. However the Forest of Mir writeup also contains information about 3 drow settlements under its bows but does not give any names, all seem to be Vhaeraun worshippers.

I am wondering if at some point in the past someone got confused with the forests in Tethyr (easily done as there are so many) and misnamed the forest they were in, thereby duplicating the number of drow settlements in Tethyr.

Dallnothax, Holldaybim, and Iskasshyoll: These three drow settlements were once four, but a concerted effort by the Tethyrian army and a later ambush by elven forces from Shilmista and Tethir fully destroyed Allsihwann, the drow enclave closest to the forestís northern edge by Ithal Pass. These three are all that remain. A few buildings dot the surface where these three cities reside, providing access to the deep realms below. These buildings also allow the drow to stable small, swift ponies with which they can reach Ithal Pass, Kzelter, or other cities in the area. All three sites are among the foothills of the Marching Mountains beneath the tree cover of the forest Shilmista (north, northeast, and east of the eastern end of the range). Their caverns were once the Clan Velm lands of Deep Shanatar.
Of the hundreds of drow among the settlers in the three cities, about 75% are ardent Vhaerun-worshipers, while the others are atheistic or worship darker gods still. The northern sites of Dallnothax and Iskasshyoll are patriarchal societies; Holldaybim is an egalitarian city where males and females rule.
A select guard in each settlement is chosen every 10 years to remain on the surface and become acclimated to the light, so they may serve as guards against the creatures above. Of Dallnothaxís guard, a drow named Tleobar (CE ef F13/W8) hates the Company of Eightís members with a passion; they prevented her and her band from killing Garlokantha the gold dragon of Tethir. She has vowed that she will personally slay each of them, but Silvanus Moondrop, for whom she has a personal vendetta, she will drop into the Spidersí Maw, a deep crevasse far below the undercity of Dallnothax.



Forest of MirFinally, wild reports in the past few years claim there are drow elves within the Forest of Mir. Dark elves do exist there but are less a threat to the safety of County Mirkazar than once believed. One rumor told of eight or more settlements with a total of over 80,000 drow living above ground; when the rumor surfaced late in the Year of the Bloodbird (1346 DR), it sent panic through the streets of towns from Ithal Pass to Ithmong, and many soldiers and adventurers alike entered the forest to combat the enemy. They found fewer drow than expected.
Still, the Interregnum allowed the drow settlements a brief respite, and they have maintained their numbers at about 6,500, despite frequent assaults by ogres upon their tunnels.
The drow concentrate in three separate settlements under Mirís boughs, all connected by tunnels and caverns created during the Night Wars. The lowest tunnels, where they link with the Underdark and Guallidurth, have been sealed, as the drow of Guallidurth have spent the past 50 years eradicating other drow of the Forest of Mir out of religious zeal. The dark elves that inhabit the southern forest are heretic worshipers of Vhaerun as well as exiles or outcasts. At one time, their total numbers may have ranged as high as 12,000, but that time passed a century or two after the Shoon fell from power. Tunnels leading into Deep Shanatar are still being plundered.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 01 Aug 2012 12:43:43
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  17:16:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are NO Drow in Shilmuista - read the Cleric Quintet trilogy; it details those woods. The elves in Shilmista are Sylvan/Green Elves, mostly Wood but some Wild (note, however, that dark elves WERE green elves at one point). Their anti-social behavior (even against other elves) may account for some folks thinking of them as 'drow-like'. You may be misreading the first line in that first entry you are quoting (Shilmista Elves fought Mir drow).

The Drow are heavily entrenched in Mir - see my map of Calimshan here in the map room. The settlements (you mentioned) are listed, but the placements are my own (although being in the forest of Mir is canon - they are mentioned in at least two different places in the LoI sources, so you need to reference all of them). Their 'nation' is called Sarenestar (which is confused for the name of the forest itself in some writings).

EDIT: Those two forests, along with the Snakewood, used to be one enormous forest called 'Keltormir'*, which adds to the confusion.

* LoI, Tethyr booklet, pg.19

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone


Edited by - Markustay on 01 Aug 2012 17:32:13
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6012 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  18:29:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are quite right i made a huge mistake there, silly me

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  19:17:00  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal<nipped>...All three sites are among the foothills of the Marching Mountains beneath the tree cover of the forest Shilmista (north, northeast, and east of the eastern end of the range). Their caverns were once the Clan Velm lands of Deep Shanatar.</snipped>

Hi Dazzerdal, looks like you might have mixed up some forests and mountains...

The forest on the northern slopes of the Marching Mountains and stretching into Tethyr is the forest of Mir / Sarenastar.

The Shilmista forest is on the western slopes of the Snowflake Mountains, stretching into eastern Amn.

The drow are in the forest of Mir but you are correct that they occupy part of Shanatar below the surface.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  01:33:31  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My mistake, I guess I do remember a few additional snippets from here and there, I was just wondering if there was anything left on the editing room floor. Especially physical descriptions of the cities in question.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out


Edited by - Fellfire on 02 Aug 2012 02:06:10
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  01:39:39  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<snip> "A select guard in each settlement is chosen every 10 years to remain on the surface and become acclimated to the light, so they may serve as guards against the creatures above." </snip>

Drow in undislodgeable sunglasses, ala' Blade/Neo.

Is there a formal title for these sentinels?

I'd even appreciate any thoughts off of the top of your head, Eric.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out


Edited by - Fellfire on 02 Aug 2012 01:41:01
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
871 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  01:26:00  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric. I hope all finds you well.

As for the Shadowrath, nope I never did convert them, but Creature Catalogue did,
http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/cc/converted/index.php

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

Hi Eric !
As the "3E perfect-converter of monsters", did you ever updated the "Shadowrath" from the City of Splendors boxed set to 3E ?

Many thanks for the great "Bestiary Volumes", anyway !
Marco



If it's not in one of the bestiaries, then no. Tom Costa gets most of the credit for them, IMO.

--Eric

Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
200 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  07:16:52  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Hi Eric. I hope all finds you well.

As for the Shadowrath, nope I never did convert them, but Creature Catalogue did,
http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/cc/converted/index.php

Thank you, M. Costa, it's always a pleasure seeing you at Candlekeep :)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3557 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2012 :  21:59:06  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, thanks for attending the Candlekeep seminar. I really enjoyed your perspectives on the different topics that came up. It was cool to see the positive energy seem to come off of you as the changes and possibilities were discussed.
Looking forward to see
What may happen in the future with your name associated with it!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2004 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2012 :  22:32:10  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I had a great time at the Candlekeep seminar and GenCon in general. It was a pleasure to meet so many candlekeep scribes, young and old. I'll save my thoughts on the realms going forward for another scroll, but the energy from the fellow fans of the setting, in all its incarnations, was fantastic.

Hope to see more of you next year!

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3557 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  00:26:07  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Thanks! I had a great time at the Candlekeep seminar and GenCon in general. It was a pleasure to meet so many candlekeep scribes, young and old. I'll save my thoughts on the realms going forward for another scroll, but the energy from the fellow fans of the setting, in all its incarnations, was fantastic.

Hope to see more of you next year!

--Eric



I'd love to see a scroll with your thoughts at some point and I am sure other scribes would as well.


Thanks again

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2004 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  19:46:04  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker


I'd love to see a scroll with your thoughts at some point and I am sure other scribes would as well.


Thanks again



Posted! (Under Sundering and Game Design.)

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3557 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  19:52:30  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker


I'd love to see a scroll with your thoughts at some point and I am sure other scribes would as well.


Thanks again



Posted! (Under Sundering and Game Design.)



I've been following it, Thanks for sharing!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  21:29:20  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

I've been tinkering around in the Underdark and will be using Maerimydra soon and had a few questions about the original vision for the city you mentioned in the information below several years back:

On September 27, 2006 Eric Boyd said: Also note that they didn't put Maerimydra where I intended it to be in CotSQ, although the placement is reasonable. Drawing on a my conversation with Ed, I intended it to be under the Moonsea (or nearly so), as you can guess from a close reading of DDGttU.
Basically the only real changes would be to make the connection via Haptooth Hill far less important and to make the infamous "sea drow" of "The Moonsea" part of this settlement (but in a radically different way than the rumors posited in "The Moonsea"). I had this weird idea at the time that the drow might have clear domes in the roof of their cavern popping up into the sea floor. So you could levitate up and stand in air on the floor of the Moonsea.

Was there anything specific or interesting about Maerimydra that never made it in published lore? I'm really curious as to what you mean by "make the infamous "sea drow" of "The Moonsea" part of this settlement (but in a radically different way than rumors posited in "The Moonsea")." Is there anything you can share regarding this?

I like the idea of crystal domes. Aside from the most likely beautiful view, I could see those chambers being used as a form of betting games where drow bet on aquatic spiders and which ones bring something back dead first wins or the hunting of crabs and other Moonsea delicacies.

Thank you. :)
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2004 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2012 :  00:38:23  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Hi Eric,

I've been tinkering around in the Underdark and will be using Maerimydra soon and had a few questions about the original vision for the city you mentioned in the information below several years back:

On September 27, 2006 Eric Boyd said: Also note that they didn't put Maerimydra where I intended it to be in CotSQ, although the placement is reasonable. Drawing on a my conversation with Ed, I intended it to be under the Moonsea (or nearly so), as you can guess from a close reading of DDGttU.
Basically the only real changes would be to make the connection via Haptooth Hill far less important and to make the infamous "sea drow" of "The Moonsea" part of this settlement (but in a radically different way than the rumors posited in "The Moonsea"). I had this weird idea at the time that the drow might have clear domes in the roof of their cavern popping up into the sea floor. So you could levitate up and stand in air on the floor of the Moonsea.

Was there anything specific or interesting about Maerimydra that never made it in published lore? I'm really curious as to what you mean by "make the infamous "sea drow" of "The Moonsea" part of this settlement (but in a radically different way than rumors posited in "The Moonsea")." Is there anything you can share regarding this?

I like the idea of crystal domes. Aside from the most likely beautiful view, I could see those chambers being used as a form of betting games where drow bet on aquatic spiders and which ones bring something back dead first wins or the hunting of crabs and other Moonsea delicacies.

Thank you. :)



It's been a while, but I think I was basically saying ...

1) I'm not sure "sea drow," as described in The Moonsea, is a good idea. (I'm loathe to introduce new intelligent races for little reason.) However, rumors of "sea drow" (similar to what is stated as fact in The Moonsea) would be a good distortion of what's really there (see #2).

2) Make Maerimydra a classic drow settlement, but with domes that let them see the sea floor and stout timbers purloined from sunken ships. Unlike Menzo, the drow of this city would probably have all sorts of magic that lets them explore the depths of the Moonsea. I can picture drow warriors swimming through the depths, battling the leviathans of the deep for treasure plundered from Moonsea wrecks.


--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 25 Aug 2012 00:39:45
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2207 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  07:03:02  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

It's been a while, but I think I was basically saying ...

1) I'm not sure "sea drow," as described in The Moonsea, is a good idea. (I'm loathe to introduce new intelligent races for little reason.) However, rumors of "sea drow" (similar to what is stated as fact in The Moonsea) would be a good distortion of what's really there (see #2).

2) Make Maerimydra a classic drow settlement, but with domes that let them see the sea floor and stout timbers purloined from sunken ships. Unlike Menzo, the drow of this city would probably have all sorts of magic that lets them explore the depths of the Moonsea. I can picture drow warriors swimming through the depths, battling the leviathans of the deep for treasure plundered from Moonsea wrecks.
Cool idea!
Got to agree with (1) due to the setting simply not having any place for these (between the Descent and elven subraces interbreeding in all-or-nothing way).
As to construction materials - methinks, stone shaped rocks (like granite or basalt) hauled from below are much better than soaked logs scavenged from above. Most vulnerable elements like panel holders can be reinforced with adamantine alloys, panels got to be glassteeled and preferrably in more than one layer, but this should be only a matter of time. Outside elements need some concealment, but hallucinatory terrain would do, and the drow are magically-strong folk.
So looks like it can be done with the known tools.
IMO it's not "classic" because they would have to make real buildings instead of carving stalagmites. Though a little stone shape can go a long way, of course.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2004 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  14:26:11  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding the soaked logs, I was thinking of them as decoration (but didn't make that clear in my previous post).

I have this image (painted by Todd Lockwood, of course, in my head) of a drow matron mother sitting in a cavern with her "throne" made of salvaged timbers and sailcloth. Overhead there is a force dome through which you can see some leviathan (probably like one of the monsters from the Phantom Menace).

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

It's been a while, but I think I was basically saying ...

1) I'm not sure "sea drow," as described in The Moonsea, is a good idea. (I'm loathe to introduce new intelligent races for little reason.) However, rumors of "sea drow" (similar to what is stated as fact in The Moonsea) would be a good distortion of what's really there (see #2).

2) Make Maerimydra a classic drow settlement, but with domes that let them see the sea floor and stout timbers purloined from sunken ships. Unlike Menzo, the drow of this city would probably have all sorts of magic that lets them explore the depths of the Moonsea. I can picture drow warriors swimming through the depths, battling the leviathans of the deep for treasure plundered from Moonsea wrecks.
Cool idea!
Got to agree with (1) due to the setting simply not having any place for these (between the Descent and elven subraces interbreeding in all-or-nothing way).
As to construction materials - methinks, stone shaped rocks (like granite or basalt) hauled from below are much better than soaked logs scavenged from above. Most vulnerable elements like panel holders can be reinforced with adamantine alloys, panels got to be glassteeled and preferrably in more than one layer, but this should be only a matter of time. Outside elements need some concealment, but hallucinatory terrain would do, and the drow are magically-strong folk.
So looks like it can be done with the known tools.
IMO it's not "classic" because they would have to make real buildings instead of carving stalagmites. Though a little stone shape can go a long way, of course.


--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2004 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  14:39:48  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about:

Dragaryn (Sunseared Sentinels)

(From my notes:
Drag- Hatred
Ar- Sun
Keryn Warrior

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

<snip> "A select guard in each settlement is chosen every 10 years to remain on the surface and become acclimated to the light, so they may serve as guards against the creatures above." </snip>

Drow in undislodgeable sunglasses, ala' Blade/Neo.

Is there a formal title for these sentinels?

I'd even appreciate any thoughts off of the top of your head, Eric.


--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2207 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  15:31:46  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

<snip> "A select guard in each settlement is chosen every 10 years to remain on the surface and become acclimated to the light, so they may serve as guards against the creatures above." </snip>
Drow in undislodgeable sunglasses, ala' Blade/Neo.
That would be kind of self-defeating if it's about adapting.
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

I have this image (painted by Todd Lockwood, of course, in my head) of a drow matron mother sitting in a cavern with her "throne" made of salvaged timbers and sailcloth. Overhead there is a force dome through which you can see some leviathan (probably like one of the monsters from the Phantom Menace).
Heh. But it's a lot of work. What would be their purpose there other than access to seafood... and a springboard for fighting with sea elves over Lyrathil?
Is it linked to the history of SerŰs? Because the only obvious thing that valuable could be some legacy of old Marid States. Sshamath pulled one big research boost out of a Netherese cache, so let's try to one-up them?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2004 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  16:08:50  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thought was the caverns were originally flooded by the Moonsea. When the drow claimed them, they put the force domes in place and then pumped the caverns out.

Why go to so much work? There was something to be claimed in them? (Unusually powerful faerzress?) A gift from Lolth left for particuarly enterprising drow to claim?

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

<snip> "A select guard in each settlement is chosen every 10 years to remain on the surface and become acclimated to the light, so they may serve as guards against the creatures above." </snip>
Drow in undislodgeable sunglasses, ala' Blade/Neo.
That would be kind of self-defeating if it's about adapting.
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

I have this image (painted by Todd Lockwood, of course, in my head) of a drow matron mother sitting in a cavern with her "throne" made of salvaged timbers and sailcloth. Overhead there is a force dome through which you can see some leviathan (probably like one of the monsters from the Phantom Menace).
Heh. But it's a lot of work. What would be their purpose there other than access to seafood... and a springboard for fighting with sea elves over Lyrathil?
Is it linked to the history of SerŰs? Because the only obvious thing that valuable could be some legacy of old Marid States. Sshamath pulled one big research boost out of a Netherese cache, so let's try to one-up them?


--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 45 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2022 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000