Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Glacier's Edge coming later this year

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Erikor Posted - 13 May 2022 : 20:50:37
RAS's new book, Glacier's Edge, is released in august this year I think.
Starlight Enclave wasn't particularly well recieved among fans on this site, including myself.
Do you guys think it's gonna be any good?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Erikor Posted - 28 Sep 2022 : 03:15:26
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Heh, and I see my long-ago experiment with an RAS book and GI Joe figures got mentioned.

It was so poignant that I just had to include it.

This one made me laugh:
Silent, precise and deadly as a great horned owl diving for its prey is more the vibe of the Hunter, not some unintelligent crustacean thatís pretty far down multiple food chains.
sno4wy Posted - 26 Sep 2022 : 17:35:02
quote:
Heh, and I see my long-ago experiment with an RAS book and GI Joe figures got mentioned.

It was so poignant that I just had to include it.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Sep 2022 : 05:26:32
quote:

I posted the next section of my review: https://archiveofourown.org/works/40921692/chapters/105283080

Been busy with work, so haven't been able to update on my original schedule.

sno4wy Posted - 26 Sep 2022 : 04:26:19
I posted the next section of my review: https://archiveofourown.org/works/40921692/chapters/105283080

Been busy with work, so haven't been able to update on my original schedule.
Erikor Posted - 15 Sep 2022 : 00:34:19
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

quote:
Originally posted by Erikor

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Denier is indeed back as a deity, at least from my understanding. Most of the deities are.

Thanks, I wasn't sure. It would be cool if Pikel and a returned Cadderly went up against the Slaad lord though. And there's a whole new story there: Cadderly trying to adapt to the world after the spellplague and after losing Danica. Maybe he meets his grandkids. But enough of my thoughts, we'll just have to wait and see.

I know Dwarves are long lived but Ivan and Pikel didn't benefit from being resurrected. They should both be ready to keel over soon...no?

It's mentioned in the books that Ivan is old. Pikel is younger. But I don't know how old Ivan is. He felt old because of his life as a guard was boring. I can't remember the details. Someone else who knows more can probably give more information.
jordanz Posted - 14 Sep 2022 : 23:41:56
quote:

quote:

Denier is indeed back as a deity, at least from my understanding. Most of the deities are.

Thanks, I wasn't sure. It would be cool if Pikel and a returned Cadderly went up against the Slaad lord though. And there's a whole new story there: Cadderly trying to adapt to the world after the spellplague and after losing Danica. Maybe he meets his grandkids. But enough of my thoughts, we'll just have to wait and see.

I know Dwarves are long lived but Ivan and Pikel didn't benefit from being resurrected. They should both be ready to keel over soon...no?
Erikor Posted - 14 Sep 2022 : 21:58:42
quote:

CorellonsDevout Posted - 14 Sep 2022 : 02:23:20
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Sep 2022 : 15:04:11
I've long wondered if the Cleric Quintet was RAS trying to move away from Lord Ginsu... If it was, it obviously didn't work.
jordanz Posted - 11 Sep 2022 : 10:01:17
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

After reading this Novel - that I liked a lot- does anyone have a theory on what Pikel is?

I'm trying to explain to myself how he seems to have an affinity and channel the power of multiple nature deities.

He's been statted as a dwarven fighter/druid, at least once.

And though I've always pronounced his name "Pie-kull" myself, I've read that he was created to prove the author could name a character "Pickle"

With some of his feats its seem like he's some sort of Chosen - of all the nature gods...very interesting little character...

I really like the Bouldershoulder brothers. Pikel is very interesting as you said. And even though Ivan is more like a standard dwarf their talks and interactions have made me chuckle several times.

Indeed. If the Companions are the "Avengers" of the realms, the Cleric's Quartet is surely the Fantastic Four. I really miss them....
Danica's probably long dead by now? And Cadderly....is still fighting the Ghost King somewhere off in limbo?

Cadderly's still walking around his ward. I haven't read anywhere that he was freed from his eternal task.

But this could be interesting. What if, in the next book, Cadderly somehow returns? I don't know if Deneir is back as a deity but if Cadderly still have his powers, he and Pikel could be quite formidable together.

Cadderly is a darn near Demi God I think...wonder if that makes him off limits....Would love if RA resumed that series.
Erikor Posted - 11 Sep 2022 : 04:41:19
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

After reading this Novel - that I liked a lot- does anyone have a theory on what Pikel is?

I'm trying to explain to myself how he seems to have an affinity and channel the power of multiple nature deities.

And though I've always pronounced his name "Pie-kull" myself, I've read that he was created to prove the author could name a character "Pickle"

With some of his feats its seem like he's some sort of Chosen - of all the nature gods...very interesting little character...

I really like the Bouldershoulder brothers. Pikel is very interesting as you said. And even though Ivan is more like a standard dwarf their talks and interactions have made me chuckle several times.

Indeed. If the Companions are the "Avengers" of the realms, the Cleric's Quartet is surely the Fantastic Four. I really miss them....
Danica's probably long dead by now? And Cadderly....is still fighting the Ghost King somewhere off in limbo?

Cadderly's still walking around his ward. I haven't read anywhere that he was freed from his eternal task.

But this could be interesting. What if, in the next book, Cadderly somehow returns? I don't know if Deneir is back as a deity but if Cadderly still have his powers, he and Pikel could be quite formidable together.
Erikor Posted - 11 Sep 2022 : 04:21:45
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

jordanz Posted - 09 Sep 2022 : 04:47:36
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Erikor Posted - 07 Sep 2022 : 21:19:46
quote:

quote:

quote:

jordanz Posted - 05 Sep 2022 : 06:56:47
quote:

quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Sep 2022 : 05:26:59
quote:

jordanz Posted - 04 Sep 2022 : 04:37:28

Charles Phipps Posted - 01 Sep 2022 : 18:17:51
I admit, I assumed Drow had purple skin for a long time.
Erikor Posted - 31 Aug 2022 : 22:04:59
quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Which is why I laugh when fans talk about a Drizzt movie. Never going to happen. Ever.

-- George Krashos

I've been saying that since around 2000, myself. I've gotten so tired of all the fanbois screaming about how it would be an automatic blockbuster and not problematic at all that I've simply given up on trying to say anything about it.

I would love an animated series set in the realms, not about Drizzt, but some original character. Hell, it could be about different characters every episode and even have established characters join in at times or just mention them. With good writers I think it would be great.

If they choose to use established characters it could be the early days of Storm's or Dove's adventures. Just a thought.
Erikor Posted - 31 Aug 2022 : 21:51:00
quote:

quote:

Which is why I laugh when fans talk about a Drizzt movie. Never going to happen. Ever.

-- George Krashos

I've been saying that since around 2000, myself. I've gotten so tired of all the fanbois screaming about how it would be an automatic blockbuster and not problematic at all that I've simply given up on trying to say anything about it.

I would love an animated series set in the realms, not about Drizzt, but some original character. Hell, it could be about different characters every episode and even have established characters join in at times or just mention them. With good writers I think it would be great.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Aug 2022 : 04:35:51
quote:

-- George Krashos

George Krashos Posted - 30 Aug 2022 : 04:12:56
Bill Willingham did the best drow, hands down, albeit in black and white for the most part. He didn't seem to have much issue. Although I guess he was allowed to draw them as they were first depicted in the sources. That mandate appears to be very much a thing of the past now. Which is why I laugh when fans talk about a Drizzt movie. Never going to happen. Ever.

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Aug 2022 : 05:22:16
Vale of the Mage came out in 1989. Whether or not that drow on the cover actually has black skin, it looks black.

For WotC to say, more than 10 years later, "Oh, artists can't do it so we're changing it" just didn't work for me.

If they'd come up with some in-game explanation, that would have been one thing. But instead, to say "we couldn't get artists to do what we paid them to do, so we'll retcon decades of published information, instead" -- that's just not right.

WotC has been hyper-focused on the drow for a long time and went out of their way to center novels and events on them -- they could have come up with an in-setting explanation, instead of a retcon, if they had cared enough to.

I don't care that the skin tone was changed; I care about the fact that continuity was brushed aside as an inconvenience, when making the change.
TheIriaeban Posted - 29 Aug 2022 : 03:53:51
That is the funny thing. I don't count any artwork created showing an imaginary creature/person to be exact. Every artist has their own interpretation. So make the drow just a tiny bit grey. They could be a just bit "ashy" and in need of some skin lotion.
sno4wy Posted - 29 Aug 2022 : 03:25:57
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

I always assumed there was some kind of skin tone variation among the drow simply because of the art with different depictions of drow. One of my first exposures to drow in art was the cover of the 1e Queen of the Spiders adventure book where the drow was depicted with dark brown skin. Dark grey would be just as useful in an underground setting as obsidian.

I wrote a more extensive analysis about why art of drow is the way that it is, but basically it's what Wooly said, it isn't possible to exactly depict the kind of skin that they have, and it leads to a lot of variations in interpretations of it. This information is now outdated because the new canon direction appears to be that drow have gray skin, but here's the post I wrote regarding drow skin prior to that change: https://artemis-entreri.tumblr.com/post/173570235383/the-lore-the-phb-salvatores-books-or-whatever
TheIriaeban Posted - 28 Aug 2022 : 23:21:47
quote:

quote:

I always assumed there was some kind of skin tone variation among the drow simply because of the art with different depictions of drow. One of my first exposures to drow in art was the cover of the 1e Queen of the Spiders adventure book where the drow was depicted with dark brown skin. Dark grey would be just as useful in an underground setting as obsidian.

According to WotC (and the reason they retconned drow skin tones), it's apparently hard for artists to get black skin right.

Black skin on drow doesn't make any sense, though... Dark skin is usually the result of more exposure to sunlight; critters in places without sunlight are often very pale, or even transparent (in the ocean). And even if drow skin tones were dark for being in a dark place, all the white hair would negate that.

"Crossbows at the ready! Aim for the white top!"
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Aug 2022 : 22:39:05
quote:

According to WotC (and the reason they retconned drow skin tones), it's apparently hard for artists to get black skin right.

Black skin on drow doesn't make any sense, though... Dark skin is usually the result of more exposure to sunlight; critters in places without sunlight are often very pale, or even transparent (in the ocean). And even if drow skin tones were dark for being in a dark place, all the white hair would negate that.
TheIriaeban Posted - 28 Aug 2022 : 19:24:17
Sno4wy, thanks for the new section. The darkvision thing would have pulled me completely out of the story. Heck, even half-elves have darkvision so that doesn't really make sense. Now, if RAS has said something about their diet suppresses their darkvision, that would have been fine and that could even affect new arrivals (but, he would had to have said something about them freaking out when they discover they are now night-blind).

VaxarKun Posted - 28 Aug 2022 : 11:44:47
quote:

For those interested, I've just posted the next section of my detailed review/analysis. This section discusses what I feel to be the neutral aspects of the book, and as with the rest of my review, it contains spoilers: https://archiveofourown.org/works/40921692/chapters/103615065

Thanks for continuing your review.

Couple of thoughts/observations.

[Skin Color]
Like you mentioned, it doesn't really matter, but certain aevendrow were described as having different skin colors/hues, so it's not unreasonable to assume that Dabnay's skin color is just one variation of underdark drow. Again, not that it really matters

[darkvision]
This is more interesting as it could have bigger implications, but some of it do seem like oversight from RAS.

My leading theory on the lack of darkvision for aevendrow - until I read your post - was that drow in general did not have darkvision before Crown Wars/fleeing to underdark/north/whatever, and that darkvision, much like orb of darkness, levitation and faerie fire was a result of them living in the underdark, a skill received through generations. This theory seemed to be supported by the fact that seemingly (certain?) Blaspheme doesn't have darkvision either - e.g. the usage of torches at one tunnel in Menzoberranzan.

But if surface elves do have darkvision (which I got to learn from your post, and also something RAS might retcon?) then it just would not work...

I say it can have bigger implications, as if Jarlaxle's apparent lack of darkvision, as well as the torch in Menzoberranzan are not oversights, then we are led to believe that the drows have managed to survive in the underdark by using light sources, which seems really silly.
sno4wy Posted - 28 Aug 2022 : 02:41:33
For those interested, I've just posted the next section of my detailed review/analysis. This section discusses what I feel to be the neutral aspects of the book, and as with the rest of my review, it contains spoilers: https://archiveofourown.org/works/40921692/chapters/103615065

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2022 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000