Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Greeting! I'd love to help rebuild these forums
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jsacks
Acolyte

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2022 :  19:27:26  Show Profile  Visit jsacks's Homepage Send jsacks a Private Message  Delete Topic
Hi all!

I'm a long term FR player & GM who has been playing since the 1st Ed sourcebook came out. I've also frequented this site as a lurker for a very long time.

If the management is interested, I am an experienced social media master and webmaster who would love to host this forum in Discord. Of course the same mods would be the... same mods. A modernization, if you will.

Discord is hot and getting hotter, has a phone app, is versatile, easy to use, and "the future".

Please feel free to contact me, I'd love to help and perpetuate THE Best Forgotten Realms forum!

Join our Fantasy Fiction community!
https://discord.com/invite/MNDJ8zH

jsacks
Acolyte

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2022 :  19:30:36  Show Profile  Visit jsacks's Homepage Send jsacks a Private Message
I should note: I'm not seeking money - purely for love of the game.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2022 :  22:00:19  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
That is an app that gets flooded with videos?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2022 :  04:24:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Can't say that I'd be enthusiastic about moving to Discord... I'm on multiple Discord servers, and only actively follow two of them -- and of those two, one is a once-a-week thing and the other I fluctuate between hitting it multiple times a day and ignoring it for weeks.

You'll need to ping Big Al; this is his show.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2022 :  11:16:51  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

Thanks for your interest, jsacks. Discord isn't a platform i'd consider for Candlekeep. There are plans to migrate to an alternative forum, however. Furthermore, I've seen companies attempt to guide their fanbase over to Discord from other community platforms, without much success.

Thanks again, and hope you continue to enjoy your time here at Candlekeep.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

jsacks
Acolyte

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2022 :  16:12:02  Show Profile  Visit jsacks's Homepage Send jsacks a Private Message
No problem at all.

I should say "Take another look at Discord", it's the future. And a well-run one is an excellent low-cost idea. My team and I run 167 Facebook Pages, 87 Instagrams, and 10 Discords with over 100,000 followers combined. Discord is by far the most customizable.(I am part of a social media management company). How about: Would you consider allowing our team to create a simulacrum on our Dragons Lair Discord Server? (Fantasy Fiction gaming Discord for D & D, WoW, related) and the privilege of saying we're partnered with Candlekeep to host a Discord version? Of course, any and all management from here could have permissions, input, and insight there.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2022 :  18:05:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
This is starting to sound more like a sales pitch and less like "I'd like to help out"

Also, there's been a lot of "the future" things that haven't really panned out as such.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 Dec 2022 18:07:17
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2022 :  20:16:30  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
It is a pitch to be paid. Just not a bot. Or to commercialize Candlekeep content.

I see no reason to deal with this proposal. I for one would not go to a discord server, there again not a fan of Facebook or Instagram.

this
quote:
Of course, any and all management from here could have permissions, input, and insight there.
Offers nothing, except all management could lose permissions.

In any event, Big Al decides what changes will occur for Candlekeep II. I am just expressing my opinion on this proposal.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

pancakewizard
Acolyte

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2023 :  13:47:28  Show Profile Send pancakewizard a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Thanks for your interest, jsacks. Discord isn't a platform i'd consider for Candlekeep. There are plans to migrate to an alternative forum, however. Furthermore, I've seen companies attempt to guide their fanbase over to Discord from other community platforms, without much success.

Thanks again, and hope you continue to enjoy your time here at Candlekeep.

I've frankly no idea why people think Discord is good alternative to a forum. The 'live feed' nature of it is very off-putting to an old grog like me. phpBB forums were the pinnacle of online community tech in my world!
Go to Top of Page

jsacks
Acolyte

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2023 :  03:22:01  Show Profile  Visit jsacks's Homepage Send jsacks a Private Message
Oh man, sorry to hear such negativity. That's a little disappointing to read, and frankly, a bit unbecoming. I have no interest in any "commercialization" whatsoever, we just love FR and Candlekeep has been one of core group's go-to references for a very long time.

No matter what type of platform Candlekeep ends up using, we'll support it 1000%. The offer to host *for free* is always open.

Go to Top of Page

Nightgrave
Acolyte

0 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2023 :  03:29:27  Show Profile Send Nightgrave a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

It is a pitch to be paid. Just not a bot. Or to commercialize Candlekeep content.

And yet, it isn't. If it were, he would have stated such directly from the start. Do you normally insult individuals and question their integrity from the get-go? Asking for... myself. I think it is a great idea to mirror the content and give greater exposure for a great resource to many players - players who traditionally have been inclusive, open minded, welcoming, and community oriented.

At least two of you up there sound completely contrary to that, and it's disappointing to read.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000