Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Resource Art - Disorganized as Can Be
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2022 :  01:26:29  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I think its pretty cool that DMsGuild released so much artwork from the 3e era but the packs are so remarkably disorganized. You can't rely on their titles whatsoever (Undead has plenty non undead in it), there are repeats, and despite being funny a pic called "Wut" doesn't really help much.

Has anyone ever organized these art pieces into some useful order?

I am specifically looking to see if they've released the uvuudaum and thorciasid from the epic level handbook and the phaerlock from the Underdark supplement. Also looking for the kopru but Im pretty sure I saw that one somewhere already...

EDIT: Yup, koprus are on the cover of monstrosities

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 24 Feb 2022 02:27:15

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11669 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2022 :  14:59:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I think its pretty cool that DMsGuild released so much artwork from the 3e era but the packs are so remarkably disorganized. You can't rely on their titles whatsoever (Undead has plenty non undead in it), there are repeats, and despite being funny a pic called "Wut" doesn't really help much.

Has anyone ever organized these art pieces into some useful order?

I am specifically looking to see if they've released the uvuudaum and thorciasid from the epic level handbook and the phaerlock from the Underdark supplement. Also looking for the kopru but Im pretty sure I saw that one somewhere already...

EDIT: Yup, koprus are on the cover of monstrosities



Yeah, the names suck... but that's probably because that's what the artists named them as for themselves to remember things. I'd bet that they just took directories from some sharepoint and dumped them into these collections. I wish the files were in PNG format with transparency, but that may not have really have been an option at the time (not sure when PNG format became more commonly used).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2022 :  15:26:01  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always just use this to ditch the background

https://www.remove.bg/

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11669 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2022 :  20:00:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I always just use this to ditch the background

https://www.remove.bg/



I will have to try that. I usually use the magic wand in paint.net, but it doesn't always catch things right, especially if someone is wearing white with a white background, etc... Some pictures are cake, others.....

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2022 :  20:42:49  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you would like to make some photo-realistic landscapes, you can use Nvidia's Canvas. It is really quite amazing. I am playing around with that to do stuff like the Upper Chionthar Rapids and the Far Hills/Sunset Mountains.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/studio/canvas/


"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11669 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2022 :  22:20:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

If you would like to make some photo-realistic landscapes, you can use Nvidia's Canvas. It is really quite amazing. I am playing around with that to do stuff like the Upper Chionthar Rapids and the Far Hills/Sunset Mountains.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/studio/canvas/





Wow, that looks pretty f'ing amazing... for some reason not installing though on this PC. Might try my laptop a little later, but that is amazing looking if the site can be believed.

EDIT:
Ah.. makes sense, I need their specific video card and this pc is a bit on the 5 or 6 year old side.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX, NVIDIA RTX, or TITAN RTX GPU

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 24 Feb 2022 22:24:51
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2022 :  22:33:02  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

If you would like to make some photo-realistic landscapes, you can use Nvidia's Canvas. It is really quite amazing. I am playing around with that to do stuff like the Upper Chionthar Rapids and the Far Hills/Sunset Mountains.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/studio/canvas/





Wow, that looks pretty f'ing amazing... for some reason not installing though on this PC. Might try my laptop a little later, but that is amazing looking if the site can be believed.

EDIT:
Ah.. makes sense, I need their specific video card and this pc is a bit on the 5 or 6 year old side.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX, NVIDIA RTX, or TITAN RTX GPU



It can. I was messing around with it and made a fairly realistic looking stream with rocks and white water. I need to work with it more to get a better horizon line (I had the trees going across the water almost like they were floating in mid-air).

Edit: I put an example in my mediafire share named Canvas Test.png. That took about 5 minutes to make.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 24 Feb 2022 23:17:22
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11669 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2022 :  01:22:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

If you would like to make some photo-realistic landscapes, you can use Nvidia's Canvas. It is really quite amazing. I am playing around with that to do stuff like the Upper Chionthar Rapids and the Far Hills/Sunset Mountains.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/studio/canvas/





Wow, that looks pretty f'ing amazing... for some reason not installing though on this PC. Might try my laptop a little later, but that is amazing looking if the site can be believed.

EDIT:
Ah.. makes sense, I need their specific video card and this pc is a bit on the 5 or 6 year old side.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX, NVIDIA RTX, or TITAN RTX GPU



It can. I was messing around with it and made a fairly realistic looking stream with rocks and white water. I need to work with it more to get a better horizon line (I had the trees going across the water almost like they were floating in mid-air).

Edit: I put an example in my mediafire share named Canvas Test.png. That took about 5 minutes to make.



That's pretty cool looking. What about making an earthmote with a mountain and trees up in the sky? (somewhat shaped like an 8 sided die)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7962 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2022 :  02:42:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can get similar or identical results with older computers running older graphics cards. You can even render cinematic quality images/video from scratch. It just takes longer. A lot longer. The whole appeal of the newer GPUs with newer tech is that they can handle more stuff in realtime.

Of course you'll need older versions of software with older cards. The newer versions always disable and disdain anything which isn't cutting edge, they want to force consumers to pay again and again for all that expensive R&D. (Even though the real money is the powerusers, enthusiasts, overclockers, professionals and Enterprise datacenters, but there's little need to market to them because they always demand and pay for top-tier stuff without being prompted.)

Nvidia has some sort of cloud computing thing, you run stuff on their hardware. You pay a subscription to basically let their servers full of best GPUs run your stuff. It's targeted towards gamers (with fast internet) but I think you can run image rendering, video editing, or any other projects you like. Might be worthwhile if things take days per frame on your machines but only minutes on theirs.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 25 Feb 2022 02:49:13
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2022 :  03:07:48  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

If you would like to make some photo-realistic landscapes, you can use Nvidia's Canvas. It is really quite amazing. I am playing around with that to do stuff like the Upper Chionthar Rapids and the Far Hills/Sunset Mountains.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/studio/canvas/





Wow, that looks pretty f'ing amazing... for some reason not installing though on this PC. Might try my laptop a little later, but that is amazing looking if the site can be believed.

EDIT:
Ah.. makes sense, I need their specific video card and this pc is a bit on the 5 or 6 year old side.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX, NVIDIA RTX, or TITAN RTX GPU



It can. I was messing around with it and made a fairly realistic looking stream with rocks and white water. I need to work with it more to get a better horizon line (I had the trees going across the water almost like they were floating in mid-air).

Edit: I put an example in my mediafire share named Canvas Test.png. That took about 5 minutes to make.



That's pretty cool looking. What about making an earthmote with a mountain and trees up in the sky? (somewhat shaped like an 8 sided die)



There is a file called earth mote.png in there now. I wouldn't call it spectacular. I have zero skill with photo editing stuff beyond using paint3d to do some minor modifications. I did try something new and put the floating mountain on a separate layer. That first picture has everything on the same layer.

Edit. Oh, that also only took about 2 minutes to do. I just erased the mountain in the first picture and drew one in the sky. I think that confused the AI a bit.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 25 Feb 2022 03:11:43
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11669 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2022 :  12:20:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

If you would like to make some photo-realistic landscapes, you can use Nvidia's Canvas. It is really quite amazing. I am playing around with that to do stuff like the Upper Chionthar Rapids and the Far Hills/Sunset Mountains.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/studio/canvas/





Wow, that looks pretty f'ing amazing... for some reason not installing though on this PC. Might try my laptop a little later, but that is amazing looking if the site can be believed.

EDIT:
Ah.. makes sense, I need their specific video card and this pc is a bit on the 5 or 6 year old side.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX, NVIDIA RTX, or TITAN RTX GPU



It can. I was messing around with it and made a fairly realistic looking stream with rocks and white water. I need to work with it more to get a better horizon line (I had the trees going across the water almost like they were floating in mid-air).

Edit: I put an example in my mediafire share named Canvas Test.png. That took about 5 minutes to make.



That's pretty cool looking. What about making an earthmote with a mountain and trees up in the sky? (somewhat shaped like an 8 sided die)



There is a file called earth mote.png in there now. I wouldn't call it spectacular. I have zero skill with photo editing stuff beyond using paint3d to do some minor modifications. I did try something new and put the floating mountain on a separate layer. That first picture has everything on the same layer.

Edit. Oh, that also only took about 2 minutes to do. I just erased the mountain in the first picture and drew one in the sky. I think that confused the AI a bit.



That is interesting to say the least. If one made an earth colored mountain in a separate picture, you could magic wand it out, paste it in as a new layer underneath the one in the sky and then rotate the selection to fit underneath. Damn, I'd have fun playing with that. I wonder how much a new PC would be.... let me go play on cyberpower's web site for a little while before work.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2022 :  14:34:51  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

It can. I was messing around with it and made a fairly realistic looking stream with rocks and white water. I need to work with it more to get a better horizon line (I had the trees going across the water almost like they were floating in mid-air).

Edit: I put an example in my mediafire share named Canvas Test.png. That took about 5 minutes to make.



That's pretty cool looking. What about making an earthmote with a mountain and trees up in the sky? (somewhat shaped like an 8 sided die)



There is a file called earth mote.png in there now. I wouldn't call it spectacular. I have zero skill with photo editing stuff beyond using paint3d to do some minor modifications. I did try something new and put the floating mountain on a separate layer. That first picture has everything on the same layer.

Edit. Oh, that also only took about 2 minutes to do. I just erased the mountain in the first picture and drew one in the sky. I think that confused the AI a bit.



That is interesting to say the least. If one made an earth colored mountain in a separate picture, you could magic wand it out, paste it in as a new layer underneath the one in the sky and then rotate the selection to fit underneath. Damn, I'd have fun playing with that. I wonder how much a new PC would be.... let me go play on cyberpower's web site for a little while before work.



I used a different material for the bottom and updated the picture in the drop. Looks much better now.

The chip shortage has definitely affected video card prices. My computer has a Nvidia 2060 RTX Super and if I remember correctly, it was only a $125 upgrade at the time (about a year ago). Looking at that card now, it would be over half what I paid for the whole computer.

One thing to keep in mind is that this software is listed as a beta version. There is no guarantee they are going to actually release it or if they do, how much it will cost.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2022 :  20:36:42  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if the three monsters from the OP are available for usage? It seems their lack of inclusion would be odd. The uvuudaum and thorciasid from the Epic Level Handbook and the Phaerlock from the Underdark supplement (both 3e)?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000