Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 DRAGON+
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  21:36:41  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Issue #3 is out.
For a freebie, I like Dragon+ though I obviously would prefer a solid magazine brimming with material that I paid for.

The app isn't very stable, even at #3 (I still haven't been able to actually READ the thing) - but there's news about the Sword Coast book, so I hope they have fixed it now (Android) so I can enjoy it before falling asleep this very fine evening.

I thought we could gather discussion about the contents of Dragon+ here unless the mods have a differing view on the subject.

It's Friday night, and I am all hyped up for the coming Star Wars movie, and the upcoming D&D/Realms products, having a beer while putting a small army of miniature bugbears on a shelf, ready to be used in November when my old gaming group is having a reunion weekend.

Have a nice weekend!

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  22:13:04  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I for one am really enjoying this issue. (Side note, I think it really matters what version of Android you're running with the app. My S5 runs it without issue, but my Lenovo tablet running a much older version crashes all the time.)
The article on Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide was just awesome. It gave me enough detail (and a nice map preview) to really put my hopes up for the tome. It's primaril focused on it's title region, but it does promise a decent overview of the rest of Faerûn, post Sundering. That's great news. It's promising a lot of details we've been waiting for. I just hope it delivers.
The crunch they allude to is just exciting. Can't wait to see it.
Other than that, I've only read the article on the Rage of Demons adventure and downloaded the Harried in Hillsfar adventure, which I got to play at GenCon. Looking forward to reading that and seeing what us PCs missed.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  23:13:29  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a Galaxy S5 too. Every time there's a new issue I'm unable to open it (swiping doesn't get me past the cover), then a day or so later there's an update and it works. I'm patient though. Gonna give it a read now, you made me curious! :)
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  23:21:20  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

I have a Galaxy S5 too. Every time there's a new issue I'm unable to open it (swiping doesn't get me past the cover), then a day or so later there's an update and it works. I'm patient though. Gonna give it a read now, you made me curious! :)

Huh. I dunno what the problem is. I had that problem with the second issue, but the app updated and it's been fine.
Hope you enjoy!

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2015 :  08:49:24  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow there was indeed a lot to digest :) I think the Adventurer's Guide sounds promising and the map preview looks as if 3rd and 4th edlition never happened which was surprising. Also surprised the map's style, lovely.
On the other hand Rage of Demons sounds like a storyline sounds a lot less interesting now that more of its design goals are revealed. All subjective opinion of course
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2015 :  11:13:23  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Wow there was indeed a lot to digest :) I think the Adventurer's Guide sounds promising and the map preview looks as if 3rd and 4th edlition never happened which was surprising. Also surprised the map's style, lovely.
On the other hand Rage of Demons sounds like a storyline sounds a lot less interesting now that more of its design goals are revealed. All subjective opinion of course

Story-wise, yes. I'm really not interested in the story beyond its impact on future canon. I'm more interested in how they're using the optional rules from the DMG for sanity/madness and the other crunchy bits for 5e.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2015 :  12:27:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still waiting for them to give me a way to read this content that's not thru the app. I've figured out a way to export content, but it's only for unformatted text.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2015 :  22:10:35  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If there's anything you want to ask about the issue, feel free Wooly and I'll whip it up and transcribe for you :)
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2015 :  22:11:16  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...and by whipping it up, I obviously alluded to my smartphone...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2015 :  02:08:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the app... I want a built-in "save this article" option that exports to pdf so I can read/refer to the material without having to pull up an app on a mobile device.

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2015 :  05:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, right :)
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2015 :  23:16:32  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The next issue has a full write-up of Gracklstugh. Some proper lore for once!

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Gurgle Gobblespit
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  00:31:28  Show Profile Send Gurgle Gobblespit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually like the Dragon+ format… reads well on my iPad. Is the content/writing great? Ehh… it's alright. Nothing amazing, although I do like that I can pick up some teasers and snippets about upcoming products from it.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  02:30:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
have they started putting out any new dragon mags at all that you can download with gaming content?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  02:34:00  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

have they started putting out any new dragon mags at all that you can download with gaming content?

We will see in October (the issues come out every two months, the latest was released in August).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2015 :  15:42:43  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragon+ is now available on browsers

www.dragonmag.com

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2015 :  01:22:39  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

www.dragonmag.com

That's a welcome addition. Although I wish they were downloadable as PDfs.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2015 :  01:51:49  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, really glad I can view it on PC. Must be my age showing, but I don't like to read on the phone. Too small screens!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2015 :  06:01:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

www.dragonmag.com

That's a welcome addition. Although I wish they were downloadable as PDfs.

Ditto. You can't even copy and paste them to Word.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2015 :  03:32:49  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Skimmed through them. The Thween short fiction actually wrote Drizzt into it. Very short "cameo", but not by RAS. No dialogue and he's not even named, but you get the gist of it. I'm not sure how I feel about that even considering the shared world deal. I find it very strange, I had assumed Salvatore's characters to be off limits considering the old Shores of Dusk thing from back in the day.

Edited by - Eilserus on 20 Dec 2015 03:34:28
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2015 :  14:46:32  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a nice idea that they now have Dragon+ available on the web, but just like the app it's horribly made. The app is the just about the most sluggish app I have ever used, and now the website has the same unresponsive feel and it is completely unusable on a mobile browser. I'd be more upset if they ever had any content that wasn't purely promotional.

--Zoomable Map of Faerun--
Go to Top of Page

Green Giant
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2016 :  14:09:40  Show Profile Send Green Giant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems Volo has returned to the Realms in the current issue. And his first new guide is to Barovia!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000