Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Cantlow Library
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2023 :  21:23:05  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't know that I'd sweat the exact building that the books are located in.

And my personal philosophy with canon material is that if something isn't explicitly addressed, whatever you choose to do with it doesn't violate canon. In this case, if the building the books are located in isn't addressed anywhere, then there is nothing that says putting them in building A instead of building B would be wrong. It's the grey areas like that, where Realmslore doesn't go, that I find the most potential for creativity.

Well, the thing is I'm working on cataloguing all canon portals, gates and similar points of interest in the forgotten realms which is the main reason I engaged myself in this thread to begin with. I was hoping to make it into a map or web tool at some point, so knowing the precise location of there is one is useful to me. If it only were for my private games then of course it wouldn't matter. I can always make it up as needed. Now we'll probably never know more accurately than this. We got close though. And the evidence still points to The Map House, although that hasn't been confirmed. :)

Edit: Then of course it's always the general interest in books within the realms, and what they contain. I always like to include libraries and books in the campaigns I run to give the players an in game way to learn stuff about stuff. But for that sake I can of course wing it, although knowing more from the creator would have been pretty cool.

On the other hand you have different fingers.

Edited by - Returnip on 29 Mar 2023 05:56:40
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2024 :  22:32:27  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good afternoon Learned Scribe Returnip,

It is with great pleasure that I come back nearly a year passed to convey wisdom from the Great Ed! I am one of the Patreon Legends of the Realms members and asked Ed about this very question. Ed did indeed confirm that this is the location of the Cantlow Library! :) Huzzah!

Best regards!

quote:
Originally posted by Returnip

quote:

And my personal philosophy with canon material is that if something isn't explicitly addressed, whatever you choose to do with it doesn't violate canon. In this case, if the building the books are located in isn't addressed anywhere, then there is nothing that says putting them in building A instead of building B would be wrong. It's the grey areas like that, where Realmslore doesn't go, that I find the most potential for creativity.

Well, the thing is I'm working on cataloguing all canon portals, gates and similar points of interest in the forgotten realms which is the main reason I engaged myself in this thread to begin with. I was hoping to make it into a map or web tool at some point, so knowing the precise location of there is one is useful to me. If it only were for my private games then of course it wouldn't matter. I can always make it up as needed. Now we'll probably never know more accurately than this. We got close though. And the evidence still points to The Map House, although that hasn't been confirmed. :)

Edit: Then of course it's always the general interest in books within the realms, and what they contain. I always like to include libraries and books in the campaigns I run to give the players an in game way to learn stuff about stuff. But for that sake I can of course wing it, although knowing more from the creator would have been pretty cool.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2024 :  22:51:20  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Good afternoon Learned Scribe Returnip,

It is with great pleasure that I come back nearly a year passed to convey wisdom from the Great Ed! I am one of the Patreon Legends of the Realms members and asked Ed about this very question. Ed did indeed confirm that this is the location of the Cantlow Library! :) Huzzah!

Best regards!

quote:
Originally posted by Returnip

quote:

Yeah, you already mentioned this a few posts ago, and I saw your question in the Discord. Unfortunately it doesn't give us the answer what building it is in, and since the university is pretty large that gives some leeway. So it does not answer my question for the purpose of my map, but I'm glad it answered yours.

On the other hand you have different fingers.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000