Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Making some druid slang
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Giant Snake
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2024 :  02:33:23  Show Profile Send Giant Snake a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey guys please let me know if you like or totally dislike some of this druid specific bywords that they might use…

One man conclave: negative pejorative used by druids to describe vigilante or unilaterally judging druids.

Oak/dry brain/slow as sap: the converse of a quick to judge druid. A druid who lacks a sense of urgency or of an overly long time presence. (Mostly - but not at all exclusively - used by rash druids)

Sewers/Cess pits/blights/stink stacks/wounds/scabs: cities.

Crickets: Druids who speak too much in the secret tongue around non-druids, particularly around wizards.

Gone rotten/corrupted to the roots: Traitorous druids.

Willy: a druid who imbibes perhaps too much. Alternatively, a druid who possibly spends too much time in wild shape.

Acorns and goodberries: General colloquialism to indicate austerity/poverty/fastidiousness.

Scribe: negative pejorative for wizards.

A book don’t hang the moon: Dismissive phrase for wizards or any sort of magic user who sees druid craft as archaic or quaint.

Strewer: Irresponsible hunter.

Sharmer: Irresponsible woodsman/logger.

It’s goodberry night again: My wife left me.

Risker rasker: A metal or crafted weapon.

Covering up an ant hole: unnecessary destructiveness in general (not exclusively in regards to nature)

Wooden fishhook: a person or a practice that is unpragmatic, overly rigid.

Fly over the storm: be courageous/to have grit.

Deer shit: Ultimately harmless/non threatening. Not always used as a negative although it can be if it refers to a boaster or a braggart.

Couldn’t find an orc outhouse: a really bad tracker or a hopeless ranger.

Mountain lion: a messy eater or generally untidy person.

Gigglebiscuit: a pandering or potentially harmful fey.

Your stones are poorly positioned: You don’t have your act together at all.

Giant dwarf: a sour or surly person.

Snail: an arrogant or foppish person, particularly someone from a city.

Otter/butterfly: someone it is easy to like.

Please add more if you have any!!

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2024 :  07:57:47  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder how Druids would perceive "city mouse"/"town mouse".

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Giant Snake
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2024 :  13:55:59  Show Profile Send Giant Snake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as rodents go, a house mouse is irl slang for a little guy. Chipmunks are smol but they aren’t like mice. They’re like mice on crack cocaine! They get through anything when you camp. Little raiders.

But by the by I think druids probably see rat nests and so forth to be a blight of overcrowding.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2024 :  10:36:03  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"In the falcon's talons." or "Falcon's talons." = Being caught up in unexpected trouble/an unexpected problem (an expression formed by observations of the birds-of-prey ambushing their quarry before the latter can react quickly enough).

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2024 :  12:32:00  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This misses the entire point. The secret tongue is secret.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2024 :  17:01:42  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

This misses the entire point. The secret tongue is secret.

Then how do you know about it, hmmm?
Go to Top of Page

Giant Snake
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2024 :  19:00:39  Show Profile Send Giant Snake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn’t say anything because I thought the answer was obvious. Slangy words are the things what enter your normal vernacular and not a secret language itself.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2024 :  23:42:34  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

The secret tongue is secret.

Sunite philosophy?

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2024 :  15:05:16  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aa I understand, these are phrases in Common that druids use, not Druidic itself. If this is the case, I could see rangers and some barbarians also use these expressions.
Go to Top of Page

Giant Snake
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2024 :  22:24:39  Show Profile Send Giant Snake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most definitely. Druids historically are more like a caste and I envision them as performing roles in society rather than just being a whole society unto themselves.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2024 :  23:36:57  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Giant Snake

I envision them as performing roles in society rather than just being a whole society unto themselves.

That makes more sense with the 2e version: Charisma 15 was a requirement of the class. It is believable that such Druids would be found in all sorts of non-Druidic hierarchies when even the "acolytes" are capable of ingratiating themselves.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2024 :  03:10:08  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about "Spray the skunk"? The phrase would depict someone picking a fight with a clearly superior opponent. Perhaps clear to everyone except the person picking the fight.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2024 :  03:13:52  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"A mind as a butterfly."

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2024 :  08:53:18  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

"A mind as a butterfly."

Would this phrase refer to what we would call ADHD?
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2024 :  10:05:21  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:
Originally posted by Azar

"A mind as a butterfly."

Would this phrase refer to what we would call ADHD?

Either one who frequently changes their mind (derisive) or one who is slow to reach a decision yet becomes fully committed once a decision has been reached (approving).

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2024 :  04:31:25  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Giant Snake

Slangy words are the things what enter your normal vernacular and not a secret language itself.

If they allowed their secret language to leak outside bit by bit, it would not stay secret for very long. So, contamination is unlikely.
Generally, a slang lives because it serves a purpose or three:
1. Optimize the language for specifics of usage by the given group.
2. Make communications more opaque to the outsiders.
3. Impress the same outsiders.
An entire specialized secret language is clearly better at the first two functions, and the third is not an issue in this case. So what's the niche of such slang could be?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Giant Snake
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2024 :  04:30:34  Show Profile Send Giant Snake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because it’s organic.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000