Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Longest-running D&D campaigns
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2023 :  05:34:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The DM and his ever-changing group of participants simply call this "The Game". It's become a fixture in their lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ-ehbVQYxI

(I've known about this for a while. Maybe I first heard about this on Candlekeep? I can't recall. But if so, sorry to repeat the topic, lol.)

Personally, I ran a few D&D campaigns which lasted about a year each. And participated in a large number of others which usually lasted months. Back in younger days when we played pretty much every weekend but didn't really have enough attention span to focus on any single game.

Sometimes enough of the old gang gets together to pick up old characters and stories, and run through another session (or even an all-nighter or a weekend). Not so often in recent decades, we all have lives and wives and jobs and families and higher priorities than playing games, lol, these rare sessions are more about socializing and nostalgia than about D&D.

I also played in (and was sort of an ad-hoc "Assistant GM" at times) in another campaign for over 5 years, though admittedly we only played one scheduled session every month. This campaign had been going on for years before I joined, it apparently continued for years more after I left the game.

Does anyone else have any long-lasting campaigns under their belts?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 07 Jun 2023 05:38:40

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2023 :  09:18:16  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been playing a lot more Call of Cthulhu than (A)D&D in the last decade or so, so did not run, or play in, a long D&D campaign.

However, my friend and I have been the core of a group since 2008, mostly playing Call of Cthulhu, mostly Delta Green. Our Delta Green adventures all share a universe (NPCs appear in multiple adventures, and retired (*cough* barely recovered from insanity *cough*) PCs revisit as NPCs. He has run around 200 sessions in that universe over a period of 15 years, with the longest single adventure running 72 sessions over two years. We even transformed our notes from that adventure into a podcast.

He and I are currently taking turns running CoC campaigns (set in different timelines), which have been running in parallel since early 2020, so we would have been running around 40-50 sessions each in those respective campaigns.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2023 :  11:06:06  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple for our group.

•Us in the Realms: This campaign started in 2006. We all statted ourselves as each person's stats/class were basically voted on by everyone else. Once we had that, we were transported to the Realms via a Mystical book bought at a pawn shop. The campaign has changed two editions since and still going strong.

•Cormyr/ Shadowdale/ Anauroch: the big super adventure put out towards the end of 3.5, we started at 1st level and they're actually just about completed with the whole thing. They're now all level 16.

•4e Spellgard campaign: To showcase 4e for a few new people in our group in 2019, we did a bunch of pre-made adventures for 4e starting with Escape from Sembia then went to Loudwater for the FRCG adventures. That played into the Scepter Tower of Spellgard adventure. By then, they adventures for Cormy and even into the Halruaa wilds.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2023 :  21:50:21  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Longest D&D game I've ever been in lasted I'd say about two or three years. Same group of 4-8 people on and off every Monday back in the early-2000s. Also had a d6 and then d20 Star Wars game that was every Friday with basically those same people, that lasted for a few more years from the late-90s to the early-2000s, maybe five?

-Longest game I ran personally lasted a little less than a year? Me and two other people, every week, started during the pandemic.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2023 :  23:18:36  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

The DM and his ever-changing group of participants simply call this "The Game". It's become a fixture in their lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ-ehbVQYxI

(I've known about this for a while. Maybe I first heard about this on Candlekeep? I can't recall. But if so, sorry to repeat the topic, lol.)

Personally, I ran a few D&D campaigns which lasted about a year each. And participated in a large number of others which usually lasted months. Back in younger days when we played pretty much every weekend but didn't really have enough attention span to focus on any single game.

Sometimes enough of the old gang gets together to pick up old characters and stories, and run through another session (or even an all-nighter or a weekend). Not so often in recent decades, we all have lives and wives and jobs and families and higher priorities than playing games, lol, these rare sessions are more about socializing and nostalgia than about D&D.

I also played in (and was sort of an ad-hoc "Assistant GM" at times) in another campaign for over 5 years, though admittedly we only played one scheduled session every month. This campaign had been going on for years before I joined, it apparently continued for years more after I left the game.

Does anyone else have any long-lasting campaigns under their belts?

I'm not sure what the longest campaign is that I've ever been in. Usually, they last no longer than 1-2 years.

Keep in mind, though, I came up on 3E and cut my teeth on campaigns that have more of an overarching storyline. It's hard to keep that going for more than about 1-2 years. I have played in episodic campaigns too, but they tend to fizzle out around the same time.

I'm always impressed with people who say they've been running the same campaign for 10 years or more. They must level their players at an unbelievably slow rate or play at obscenely high levels. Either way, that's a lot of work and my hat is off to them.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2023 :  03:55:15  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The longest campaign I've run as DM was the 4e Neverwinter campaign, that lasted for about 6 years, with a few of the players reuniting in recent years from time to time to play a few one-shots that take place "after the end" of the story. I'm trying to find all my notes about the original campaign and maybe turn them into a fanfic.

As an eternal DM, I have never had the chance to play in a long campaign, just in one-shots and a few short campaigns.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 06 Jul 2023 04:08:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000