Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Reasonable to consider 5E (or 4E) its own canon?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mastermustard
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2023 :  21:59:51  Show Profile Send mastermustard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Even 3.5E made a few retcons, but 4E attempted to reinvent the whole post-spellplague setting, deleting or rewriting a ton of established history. 5E changed a lot too, and it represents the era in which D&D transitioned from a niche hobby where writers and players joined in to create living, breathing worlds with historical consistency, to a commercialized product with mass appeal and a focus on gameplay, where lore is now something to be freely manipulated for the sake of selling an interesting product.

It's not unreasonable to consider the fifth edition, or possibly anything post 4E its own separate universe, right? Created for the sake of profit by Lord Ao's bosses at WOTC and Hasbro.

And yeah, I know we can do whatever we want. A lot of people have their own headcanon, especially with the dip in published material these past years. I guess I'm just bitter and want some consensus about where the Realms history should cut off.

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2023 :  22:36:18  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. The people at WotC have even said so. 5E is it's own "special thing". No one at WotC cares even a tiny bit about the legacy of the Realms. They will simply put out whatever they feel like on a whim....but maybe take a name from that "old Realms stuff".

Starting with 4E they did not just change things....they altered reality to say "oh, things have always been this way"
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2023 :  22:51:23  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. 5E is to the Forgotten Realms what Disney is to Star Wars (or Marvel Comics to the Marvel Movies, if you prefer). The people who shaped FR in 1E/2E/3E were little more than advisors in 5E. Most of them had no involvement.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2023 :  23:46:39  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Canon is a tricky term that people seems to not understand. Yes, 5e is its own canon, but its canon includes all previous editions.

As bloodtide mentioned, WotC considers that every edition is its own canon (with 5e being the one they consider the "main" one - the only one they are going to take into account), but this isn't new either. They have considered that every edition is ots own canon since 2e (I remember reading that in some old magazine, when they talked about the compatibility between AD&D and OD&D).

Anyways, isn't D&D the kind of product where GMs are encouraged to have their own personal canon?

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 28 May 2023 23:47:56
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2023 :  03:52:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Each game edition is a separate "canon".
Each setting edition (which is married to the game edition) is a separate "canon". Even when it provides some sort of transitional narrative to link it to previous edition "canon".

Indeed, each distinct setting product (Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Spelljammer, Planescape, etc) is a separate "canon". Even when they provide ways to link into each other.

AD&D 1E/2E, D&D 3E/3.5E, D&D 4E, D&D 5E - along with the Realmslore within each - are essentially entirely different games. Each with its own "canon". Wizbro basically abandoned the notion of maintaining a consistent, constant, continuous "canon" across all editions - so there's little point in trying to do it yourself (sorting out conflicting "canon" basically boils down to personal judgements, opinions, and preferences).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2023 :  04:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still believe that somehow it can all be worked out in a logical manner to make sense from 1e through 5e. It was done with Grand History of the Realms and can be done again where it all just gets explained in a neat little package. I’d donate a limb to get a GHotR2 that’s about three times the size of the original.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2023 :  16:33:05  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't mind 1e through 3.5. I can tweak and reconcile the differences and excise the parts that don't fit/I don't like. 4e/5e though, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. My extreme dislike of the setting/timeline changes make it *very* difficult to squeeze any enjoyment out of content from the last two edition in regards to the Forgotten Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2023 :  16:39:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a diehard 1360s timeline guy.

Saying that, even the 4e and 5e stuff has pieces that you can work backwards into the timeline (like some random prince of anauria from candlekeep mysteries).

Everything has its value, it's just that 4e and 5e have a lower value because the quality of the lore and how well it fits in with the rest of the setting is not as good. Still use it wherever possible though.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2023 :  19:16:53  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Everything has its value, it's just that 4e and 5e have a lower value because the quality of the lore and how well it fits in with the rest of the setting is not as good. Still use it wherever possible though.

quote:
Originally posted by TKU

I don't mind 1e through 3.5. I can tweak and reconcile the differences and excise the parts that don't fit/I don't like. 4e/5e though, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. My extreme dislike of the setting/timeline changes make it *very* difficult to squeeze any enjoyment out of content from the last two edition in regards to the Forgotten Realms.

But that is more because of personal bias and not because the quality of the content itself (I cannot speak for 5e, as I have no bought any 5e stuff, but 4e do has really good stuff among the bad things, like Returned Abeir/Laerakond, for instance).

Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2023 :  19:54:56  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Context is important. Maybe 4e has some gems in it-my opinion of what I have looked at leads me to think not so much (Abeir/:Laerakond does absolutely nothing for me personally). But if I have to pick a apart a setting I dislike on a fundamental level and think should never have been made in the first place to find those gems, I'm not having a good time. And at the end of the day, I'm reading the novels/adventure modules/sourcebooks, setting up games to DM, playing the video games, etc etc for my enjoyment, not sift through the uncomfortable memories of the Spellplague etc wrecking the setting I loved.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2023 :  21:57:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I still believe that somehow it can all be worked out in a logical manner to make sense from 1e through 5e. It was done with Grand History of the Realms and can be done again where it all just gets explained in a neat little package. I’d donate a limb to get a GHotR2 that’s about three times the size of the original.

The Grand History recorded three editions, two of which made an effort to stick with existing canon and a third that sometimes made that effort -- and yet, there are still issues with reconciling 2E canon and 3E canon, like the entire planar structure changing.

4E did not even attempt to maintain canon with itself, and in 5E, the official stance is "if we didn't write it ourselves it's not canon."

There is no reconciling all of that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2023 :  23:30:03  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

The Grand History recorded three editions, two of which made an effort to stick with existing canon and a third that sometimes made that effort -- and yet, there are still issues with reconciling 2E canon and 3E canon, like the entire planar structure changing.

4E did not even attempt to maintain canon with itself, and in 5E, the official stance is "if we didn't write it ourselves it's not canon."

There is no reconciling all of that.

I disagree with this just insofar is that we have minds like Ed’s that can somehow make sense of it all. Egregious inconsistencies can be thrown out with basic handwaiving and “unreliable narrator” explanations as long as someone (again Ed) takes complete control.

Or if not the creator himself, someone who loves the setting as much as we do here.

Once established, a Feige-like director can oversee the upcoming future of a setting that has an injection of recent popularity. In a sense, we are all doing it anyway. Almost every discussion on forums like Candlekeep or Facebook pages or Twitter discussions is about reconciling lore.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2023 :  04:07:22  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Ed is certainly trying his best...but YMMV on how much can actually be done in that regard, and whether it should even be done in the first place. There's no 'unreliable narrator'-ing your way out of the various RSE. Something like the Spellplague....you either take it or you don't. And so much of 5e/4e is built upon the assumption of accepting big setting-changing events/rectons/whatever. Just yanking the tablecloth out from under them just doesn't work here I think.

And honestly, in my opinion the fixes to bring 5e closer to prior editions are far from comprehensive, don't prevent those changes from having happened in the first place, and often offer very good explanations for their revisions either. It makes for a messy timeline of unsatisfying 'repairs' layered on top of what I actually like. Better in most cases to just brush that mess off and roll back to what I'd consider the 'good stuff'.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2023 :  10:54:28  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some people clearly enjoy retrofitting. I'm reasonably sure it is possible to invent a convoluted chain of consequences for some of the RSE that shoehorns all the Bear Lore nonsense as its in-Universe results. But do you want to do this?
Besides, some of that stuff not just fails to fit with the continuity, but is nonsensical even on its own (for example, the Dark Seldarine plot).

quote:

I disagree with this just insofar is that we have minds like Ed�s that can somehow make sense of it all.

If the content in question made sense on its own in the first place, this would be unnecessary. But its authors were unable or unwilling to do so. So: do you consider the efforts necessary to turn it into something that makes sense worthwhile? If yes, why?
Ed is way too nice, and they have his greatest shiniest product hostage, so when he tries to shape this mess into something that at least would not be a complete kitchen sink of stupidity, it's entirely understandable. Even if strategically that's probably a big mistake. As demonstrated by Lucas.
But what is the reason for a random reader and/or player to touch that content, much less dive into it?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2023 :  16:45:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No shared world is going to have total consistency. Especially one spanning 30+ years of published products written by a hundred hands. The question of why the fans should attempt to make everything consistent is a good one. If WotC don't care, why should I? But then again, it depends on what you are doing and why. For your own campaign, the Realms is always what you want it to be. As soon as you insert the adventures of the Company of the Dancing Dryad into the Realms, you immediately deviate from the canon Realms. After that, it doesn't really matter as long as you and your players are enjoying the game.

If you are writing for the Realms in a general sense, say at the DMs Guild, then you elect to follow canon or not, as circumstances dictate. A recent product at the Guild, which has seemingly done very well, is basically set in a post-apocalypse Realms. Certainly not canon, and yet the fanbase clearly like the idea and content. Additionally, if you are writing an adventure in say, the environs of Ormath in the Shining Plains in the 1490s DR, there is no way you can offend canon as there is no canon Realmslore for that location in the 5E Realms, and indeed little in all the published Realms.

So basically, yes, canon can be important. And it can be fun to make a coherent whole out of the inconsistencies other writers have left behind. But for 95% of all Realms fan, I don't think it's all that important because it doesn't really matter for their game. They are going to do what they are going to do, and it's as simple as that. A coherent, detailed entire Realms is a thing of the past. WotC just want to write stuff and ask you to buy it. They are paid to do it, it'a a job and they will write and do whatever generates sales. And if that means introducing Vecna and Acerarak to the Realms, they'll do it in a heartbeat. Heck, they are only doing what a million fans before them have done. I've seen decades of fans talking about their idea of introducing Vecna, an Abyssal invasion, a spelljammer assault by the scro, Raistlin, Iuz, etc. etc. etc. into the Realms. It's always been a thing. It's just now being done "officially". Like it, buy it, ignore it. Your call. WotC likely don't care as long as people keep buying the books and their ability to write them isn't unduly fettered by 30+ years of published products.

And you really can't blame them. Writing good quality, dealing-with-the-inconsistencies, giving due to all that has gone before Realmslore is *bleeping* hard. I've been trying to do it for 25 or so years, with varying degrees of success, because I love it. If it was my job, constrained by all that entails, I'm not sure I'd have the same commitment.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 30 May 2023 16:46:25
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2023 :  20:22:59  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

4E did not even attempt to maintain canon with itself

I would like to see an example for this, because I own all 4e products (not only-Realms related, but all), and I haven't seen any discrepancies on lore. Unless you are blaming 4e for things that 3.x or 5e did. Happens a lot in this fandom...

(Inb4, is something some 3.x novels did with the drow, that people insist was done for 4e, ignoring it's actually clear those novels were made by other team of writers that may or may not have any influence in what was later writen for 4e canon...)

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 30 May 2023 20:35:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2023 :  21:54:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:

I would like to see an example for this, because I own all 4e products (not only-Realms related, but all), and I haven't seen any discrepancies on lore. Unless you are blaming 4e for things that 3.x or 5e did. Happens a lot in this fandom...

Two examples I can think of off the top of my head:

The Sea of Fallen Stars lost 50 feet of sea level. This exposed the upper levels of Myth Nantar to open air... Myth Nantar previously had 300 feet of open water over it, so a change of 50 feet should not have exposed it to air. Similarly, the Sharksbane Wall was 80 feet below the surface. The change in water level exposed the top 10 feet of the Wall. So 50 feet equals 90 feet and also equals 350 feet, simultaneously.

And this happened without a single coastline changing on the maps.

Also, blocking off a large portion of the Sea of Fallen Stars would do more than just impact trade -- it would impact currents and migration, resulting in changes to food supply and even weather, but none of these things were mentioned.

The other great example is Halruaa, which we were originally told had exploded with so much force that the blast somehow went up over a mountain range, and then back down, causing the peninsula where Chult was to shatter and making the place an island. And yet this explosion that caused so much damage somehow left buildings standing at ground zero. Somehow, Halruaa both did and didn't blow up, at the same time.

Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

96 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2023 :  17:30:46  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
qu
quote:
Originally posted by mastermustard
It's not unreasonable to consider the fifth edition, or possibly anything post 4E its own separate universe, right?

I don't think it's unreasonable. I think it's just as reasonable to consider them all part of one universe too.

What I will concede is that, once you move past 3.5, it is infinitely harder to ensure that what you're creating is consistent with the current lore. I'll just give the example of the Forest of Mir. It's the same forest throughout every sourcebook up until 4E. Then suddenly, it's the Spires of Mir. So now you're like, "Okay... I'm not sure what I think about that, but I think I'm getting used to it," and then the Second Sundering happens. Now what? Is it a forest again? Are there still spires there? No way of knowing. And as a result, it's quite possible that you could put something together and a sourcebook that comes out next year will contradict you.

quote:
Created for the sake of profit by Lord Ao's bosses at WOTC and Hasbro.

Don't kid yourself. Ao's bosses have always been interested in profit. That was true when his boss was Gary Gygax and Don Kaye, it was true when it was Lorraine Williams, it was true when it was Peter Adkison, it is true now under Chris Cocks and Cynthia Williams. Ao's bosses have always been interested in profit.

Edited by - DoveArrow on 31 May 2023 18:05:49
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2023 :  22:50:17  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I guess I'm just bitter and want some consensus about where the Realms history should cut off.

It should cut off the moment in Realms-time/space that no longer interests you or your group.

Ask yourself, why are you adhering to Canon (regardless of time/edition) if other than to enmesh your group in a shared world with events that occur with or without your groups involvement? The thing with Canon - in my experience anyways - is that it was never intended to be followed with 100% accuracy by a group/player. The moment you make a character, interject your decisions and ideas and actions and involvement within the Realms...it stops being Canon. Its like a ripple in time that is irrevocably changed other than starting a new campaign in a new time-stream.

So if your involvement in the Realms instantly alters Canon, if your actions change an event or kill off an NPC or make a change to the landscape (and trust me, LOTS of spells do this) then it's possible that those actions will not be accepted in any "standard" Canon in future products, which I'd assume you'd happily ignore (and rightfully so!). So why not the reverse be true? Don't want Eilistraee to die, or an NPC to rise to power or a city to fall even if thats what's written in a book or a supplement....don't. let. it.

It's YOUR Realms for a reason. YOUR Canon. YOUR stories, adventures, trials and tribulations. Sticking with a storyline that bores you, or angers you, or disinterests you out of some longing for continuity that no one else is going to see anyways but the people that matter (your gaming group) doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Since 4th Edition (and I say this AS a big fan of 4th Edition rules and Forgotten Realms changes) occurred, I have opened my eyes to what Canon truly offers, a buffet of ideas and plots and tales that I can pick and choose to enhance my campaigns and stories. I actually PREFER to change things as to better shape how I want the world to look and feel. Not every change "feels" good, and that's actually a necessity in a world attempting to feel real, things in real-life can and often do suck. So sometimes I'll add in things that - on a world scale - hinder or interfere with aspects of my campaign. A god dying (or being reborn), a new weapon discovered (lasers, albeit briefly), portals to distant worlds (Hello Ravnica: City of Guilds) that certainly don't Jive with established Realmslore. That's the point, a living-breathing world has warts and sometimes oozes puss, and maybe it'll be my group's actions that fix it.

So do a group discussion of where you enjoy playing in the Realms. Figure out a time in which you'd like to start and then advance to, and then make the changes as you go. Take timeline events that you DO enjoy (I'm sure there's some out there) and add them in. Take out things you don't OR things that don't make sense. Use clues of campaign-time supplements to advance the world (I've found the Rumors section in the FRCS[/i] to be really valuable here!) and make those decisions as needed. OR roll for things and throw in some bad aspects too, because sometimes BBEGs actually do win, otherwise there'd be no point.

Hope this ramble helped provide some clarity or at least inspiration. Happy gaming!!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2023 :  23:14:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I don't agree with the thought that as soon as you do something in the Realms, it's no longer canon*, I otherwise agree with Diffan.

I myself used to be really big on trying to stick with published canon, but I've since backed off from that. If I ever DM in the Realms, I'm sticking with a slightly modified version of the 1370s era, and I'll go my own way after that -- perhaps backporting in, with relevant changes, anything I like from later eras.

*I'm disagreeing because my attitude is that if a thing isn't explicitly covered in canon, then whatever you do with that thing isn't violating canon. If there's no published material saying "this building holds this kind of business" then saying it's a festhall doesn't violate anything.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 May 2023 23:14:47
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2023 :  23:24:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Well, y'see, the rules and the Code are more like ... guidelines. Savvy?"

To me, the "canon" is more like guidelines.

I don't worry if my gaming violates any of Wizbro's "canon" expectations.
I most certainly don't care if it violates any "canon" in the future. "Canon" which hasn't even been published yet.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The DMs Revenge
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2023 :  01:04:44  Show Profile  Visit The DMs Revenge's Homepage Send The DMs Revenge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's not unreasonable to consider the fifth edition, or possibly anything post 4E its own separate universe, right?

I've personally been making plans to treat the post-Spellplague Realms as an alternate Material Plane, shifted far enough into the future so that my 1360's/1370's PCs can travel there and back again - best of both options, IMO.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2023 :  03:12:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

snippage

The other great example is Halruaa, which we were originally told had exploded with so much force that the blast somehow went up over a mountain range, and then back down, causing the peninsula where Chult was to shatter and making the place an island. And yet this explosion that caused so much damage somehow left buildings standing at ground zero. Somehow, Halruaa both did and didn't blow up, at the same time.

That's because "the sages that know" don't really understand what happened. When the "spellplague" happened you see... it caused an "echo" of the first sundering created by "the Hidden One"... who is also "echoed" into the "other" "Hidden One". Yes, both Ao AND Mystra use this appellation. It seems to have occurred when a large projectile hurled itself towards Toril and smashed into Faerun and created "Lake Halruaa" and subsequently the raising of a ring of mountains around the lands that would become known as Halruaa.

Oddly, some note the old myths of Selune "hurling" a bit of herself at Shar and creating Mystryl in relation to this impact in Halruaa. Others scoff at such notions, for surely they are just the blathering of fools.

This momentary "echo" of the first sundering was created when Mystra "died" and the divine domain of Dweomerheart was ripped from its linkages to Toril and forcibly transferred to become linked to Abeir. This, some believe, was a contingency effect created by the original Mystryl as a means of escaping enemies should she ever find herself attacked. Others believe that it was an accidental triggering of the effects Ao had long ago put in place to expel rivals to Abeir. Of course there are even more far fetched theories as well. This "echo" thereby kicked off the momentary transfers of lands which became semi-permanent. Of course "the sages that know" believed that Dweomerheart had exploded as well, but some believe that the people of Halruaa were saved through the actions of Savras. They say that he foresaw this threat and he, along with his sometime competitor Leira, managed to save the people of Nimbral and Halruaa through their actions, actions that possibly didn't involve sending those lands into Abeir... in fact, some believe that Nimbral was sent into the Feywild... which some believe triggered some actions with another hidden island that some know as Evermeet. Some few believe that the entirety of Halruaa may have been transferred or copied into Dweomerheart, and an even fewer number believe that many of those who lived there had their souls absorbed into a weakened Mystra in order to stabilize her.

Ever at your service,
The Humble Sage
Phallissy Meandering of Nimbral

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2023 :  13:00:36  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But those are examples of lore inconsistencies, not canon inconsistencies. A canon inconsistency is this source saying that this character did something in 13XX DR, and that other source saying that the something was made by another character, or even failing to recognize said event (for instance, 5e adventures failing to recognize the novel outcomes of their plots, or the adventures changing events of other adventures just for plot's sake).

So far, I don't have seen anything like that in 4e.

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

To me, the "canon" is more like guidelines.

This is the literal meaning of canon: just a set of references to be taken as guidelines while studying something. Only fans want to believe that canon means "sacred gospel of unchanging truths".

Canon is only useful for the guys writing stuff on the wiki. For the rest of us, it's just a set of ideas you can consider for your homebrew campaign.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 01 Jun 2023 13:04:55
Go to Top of Page

Cyrano
Acolyte

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2023 :  15:37:03  Show Profile Send Cyrano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DoveArrow
What I will concede is that, once you move past 3.5, it is infinitely harder to ensure that what you're creating is consistent with the current lore. I'll just give the example of the Forest of Mir. It's the same forest throughout every sourcebook up until 4E. Then suddenly, it's the Spires of Mir. So now you're like, "Okay... I'm not sure what I think about that, but I think I'm getting used to it," and then the Second Sundering happens. Now what? Is it a forest again? Are there still spires there? No way of knowing. And as a result, it's quite possible that you could put something together and a sourcebook that comes out next year will contradict you.

This doesn't seem like an inconsistency in canon or a retcon. The change of a geographical feature is explained by and is a feature the sort of world shaking events 4e wanted to base itself on. And not covering that specific part of the world in 5e is just...not covering it. WotC not covering an area of interest in enough detail isn't a canon problem.

Your worry that something you put together could be contradicted by an official product is something that could have happened at any point in the TSR days if you took your campaign into a region sketched out in the campaign setting which then got a more detailed treatment in one of the splatbooks.
Go to Top of Page

Cyrano
Acolyte

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2023 :  15:52:58  Show Profile Send Cyrano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

The Sea of Fallen Stars lost 50 feet of sea level. This exposed the upper levels of Myth Nantar to open air... Myth Nantar previously had 300 feet of open water over it, so a change of 50 feet should not have exposed it to air. Similarly, the Sharksbane Wall was 80 feet below the surface. The change in water level exposed the top 10 feet of the Wall. So 50 feet equals 90 feet and also equals 350 feet, simultaneously.

And this happened without a single coastline changing on the maps.

Also, blocking off a large portion of the Sea of Fallen Stars would do more than just impact trade -- it would impact currents and migration, resulting in changes to food supply and even weather, but none of these things were mentioned.

I'm not sure either of these represent a problem with canon - a retcon, or establishing a new canon that contradicts the old. The sea question is a mistake isn't it? Getting the numbers wrong in a fictional product. It's not saying 'this was never sunk under 350 feet of ocean' it's saying 'the writers made a mistake' - perhaps one that can be accounted for within the fiction as part of an existing event that raised mountains and shattered who countries?

And isn't the thing that happened to Halruaa meant to be both a huge magical explosion and a translocation to another planet or plane? That seems like it could consistently cause both enormous devastation and leave some buildings standing.

Disney has showed us what mass decanonisation looks like: when they started making Star Wars films again, they looked at the tangled web of comics, novels and cartoon series and said "None of this happened. We're having a clean slate to make movies and tell stories without fitting into twenty years of post Return of the Jedi tie in novels"

The 5E situation with the Forgotten Realms looks much more like what happened when the BBC started making Doctor Who again. All the history of it had still happened, but what mattered was each episode on TV there and then on Saturday night. You weren't going to have a problem understanding it if you hadn't seen a story from 1973, or read a tie in novel from the 90s. It was facing the future, not the past.

As far as I know, nothing from WotC/Hasbro made that statement about canon has contradicted anything from the setting's past (beyond the sort of things you might expect from a story told by many hands across multiple decades.

It has, in fact, included many references to the deep past of the setting - Netherese relics, Undermountain and more. It just doesn't want to direct players (or make players feel directed) to out of print books from the 80s to understand what's happening and feel included.

I truly don't think there's any inconsistency in the 'story' of the Forgotten Realms that isn't caused by human error or within the fiction magical weirdness.
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2023 :  20:02:24  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know, that seems like a pretty bold claim to make. Certainly I can think of a number of changes to the setting that are really hard to reconcile with what was established in earlier editions. I don't want to turn this into a 'drow thread' but that's certainly the first thing that comes to my head.

Anyways, you seem to be saying in the earlier post that if there's an in-universe explanation for whatever doesn't mean it's not a retcon. Retcons can be well-executed too, but I don't sense that this is what most people are talking about here. 4e's Spellplague and associated events almost comes across as spiteful in the way it went out of its way to target certain parts of the realms. A horrible hack job to justify the rebooted setting they wanted to present in 4e. Whether you want to call it metaplot or retcons is a matter of semantics and perspective-either way it was quite the mess dumped on the setting for the purposes of changing it into something so comprehensively different on so many levels that it might as well have been another setting to begin with. So if we are talking compatibility, there's the long and the short of it-it really isn't. It was designed to be incompatible, it was designed to replace, not supplement. It was a reboot, but the unpleasant kind that's too insecure to stand on its own two feet and compete with its predecessor, and needs to give itself legitimacy by placing itself in the same universe, and then tearing it down in order to supplant it.

5e for its part may have sought legitimacy by making itself superficially reminiscent of pre-spellplague Toril, but it's become abundantly clear that its approach to the lore and history of the realms hews closer in policy to 4e's.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2023 :  01:47:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

But those are examples of lore inconsistencies, not canon inconsistencies. A canon inconsistency is this source saying that this character did something in 13XX DR, and that other source saying that the something was made by another character, or even failing to recognize said event (for instance, 5e adventures failing to recognize the novel outcomes of their plots, or the adventures changing events of other adventures just for plot's sake).

So far, I don't have seen anything like that in 4e.

Canon is lore. If there is a lore inconsistency, that's a canon inconsistency.

You can call it what you will, but when you tell me this event causes X to happen and then tell me Y happens and Z happens in the same place as X, that's their own information contradicting itself. They said the sea lost 50 feet but it didn't change the mapped coastlines and lost 350 feet in one place and 90 feet in another. That is information that is inconsistent with itself.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Jun 2023 01:51:06
Go to Top of Page

Cyrano
Acolyte

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2023 :  10:55:54  Show Profile Send Cyrano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TKU

I don't know, that seems like a pretty bold claim to make. Certainly I can think of a number of changes to the setting that are really hard to reconcile with what was established in earlier editions. I don't want to turn this into a 'drow thread' but that's certainly the first thing that comes to my head.

Anyways, you seem to be saying in the earlier post that if there's an in-universe explanation for whatever doesn't mean it's not a retcon. Retcons can be well-executed too, but I don't sense that this is what most people are talking about here. 4e's Spellplague and associated events almost comes across as spiteful in the way it went out of its way to target certain parts of the realms. A horrible hack job to justify the rebooted setting they wanted to present in 4e. Whether you want to call it metaplot or retcons is a matter of semantics and perspective-either way it was quite the mess dumped on the setting for the purposes of changing it into something so comprehensively different on so many levels that it might as well have been another setting to begin with. So if we are talking compatibility, there's the long and the short of it-it really isn't. It was designed to be incompatible, it was designed to replace, not supplement. It was a reboot, but the unpleasant kind that's too insecure to stand on its own two feet and compete with its predecessor, and needs to give itself legitimacy by placing itself in the same universe, and then tearing it down in order to supplant it.

5e for its part may have sought legitimacy by making itself superficially reminiscent of pre-spellplague Toril, but it's become abundantly clear that its approach to the lore and history of the realms hews closer in policy to 4e's.

I feel like there's maybe some confusion at work here - confusion between not liking the product and the case for it not 'counting' as part of the canon (or history or lore or whatever you want to call it) of this fictional world.

I know the Spellplague and 4th Ed. Realms are vastly unpopular, and I'm not trying to argue that actually they're good. And as a player or DM you can obviously ignore them or spin them off into their own separate history if you like. But you can do *anything* if you like.

But putting aside whether it's a good product, a good continuation of the Realms' history...the Spellplague emerges from the conditions of the 3.5E Realms. It accounts for its changes within the fictional history of Toril - it doesn't declare by editorial fiat that things have always been this way, or unhappen the Time of Troubles to say AD&D products don't count - again, look to Disney and Star Wars for an example of what stuff being decanonised looks like.

And the Realms has had big changes between Editions or as ongoing storylines before - the Time of Troubles, and the return of the Netherese enclave from Shade (found that one rather tedious tbh). 4E is certainly bigger, and widely accepted as worse but it is following in existing footsteps.

The 5th Edition Realms recognised the 4E stuff as unpopular and so its own developments moved back towards the set up people recognised from 2nd and 3rd Edition. But again, it does this within the fiction. It doesn't declare that the Spellplague never happened, and you should throw those books away. And the later 5E statements about canon aren't telling you to throw your old books away - they're reassuring new people they don't need to buy them to play the game. Which can only be a good thing.

And if people think that Realms products are just commercially driven now and weren't way back when...I don't know what to tell you. It's always been a business. It's always been about trying to identify and sell to an audience and make a profit. I'm really grateful there was some weird economic sweet spot in the 80s and 90s that allowed the Forgotten Realms to get this incredibly detailed development across dozens of books. But that was because it was economically possible, not out of the goodness of people's hearts.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2023 :  15:32:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, one thing the 3.5e to 4e change DID de-canonize is that the world was known as "Abeir-Toril" and suddenly its only called "Toril". It was also kind of made out like this "world" of Abeir was a totally unknown entity prior to this to most of the world, and if this is the case... why was there ever any reference to an Abeir to the people of Toril. I mean, that's not a dealbreaker in my book, but as most can see with me.... I always try to take whatever's put out and spin it in some way to try and make both new and old "true"... that's part of the fun of it.

As an aside... one thing I only started thinking about after talking with Seethyr about Anchorome and the land of the insect men... I like the idea that when "Abeir" got initially created, perhaps there were a LOT of Abeil (the somewhat elven like Beefolk)..... and maybe the name of the world came from their language. Over time though, the numbers of these Abeil shrank drastically, and possibly the few entries of abeil on Toril were as a result of world crossovers on a smaller scale prior to the spellplague (world crossovers that perhaps the immigrants themselves didn't truly understand).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 02 Jun 2023 15:53:39
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2023 :  17:03:44  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I myself used to be really big on trying to stick with published canon, but I've since backed off from that. If I ever DM in the Realms, I'm sticking with a slightly modified version of the 1370s era, and I'll go my own way after that -- perhaps backporting in, with relevant changes, anything I like from later eras.

I really think this is the best approach. I have a couple of campaigns set in the Forgotten Realms (at various times) and I tend to just ignore things that don't really fit into the structure of the current adventure. Really, what does it matter what's going on in the Moonsea when my party is invested in the situations they're involved in while exploring Elturel or Greenest? Unless something directly involves my PCs, I tend to just consider that stuff....over there.

quote:

*I'm disagreeing because my attitude is that if a thing isn't explicitly covered in canon, then whatever you do with that thing isn't violating canon. If there's no published material saying "this building holds this kind of business" then saying it's a festhall doesn't violate anything.

I was more or less pointing out bigger changes to the setting that might occur with PC involvement. For example, stopping a smuggling ring operating out of Neverwinter to a group of cultists of Malar is fine, doesn't really contradict anything that your group does. On the other hand, killing Dagult Neverember because he's been a doppleganger since his ousting as the Open Lord of Waterdeep and a PC becoming the Lord Protector of Neverwinter IS a pretty big deal, changes the Canon of the setting, especially if a future product references Dagult (or a movie, for that matter) as the Lord of Neverwinter in a time post your involvement. Or other changes like killing off Drizzt Do'Urden or using a ritual to make Waterdeep a floating city. Stuff like that.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000