Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 D&D cartoon IDW comic say show set in FR all along
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2023 :  00:41:58  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I’d like it to be true but I’m just not buying it. I have watched those cartoons recently dozens of times with my kids and in the hundreds of miles the kids covered, dozens of kingdoms they got involved with or helped end a threat towards, not a single one resembled anything remotely known Realmsian. Could it have been unknown lands? Sure that would work I guess but only as a major stretch.

I do like them there though. If there is a way to story them in I’m all for it. Maybe somewhere along the line someone will write a comic or story equivalent of Rogue One for the DND cartoon and the kids in the Realms. Maybe Ed! That would make me smile for certain

I really don't like this increasingly popular idea of treating The Forgotten Realms as this kind of corporate-pushed fantasy kitchen-sink setting where anything and everything from even TANGENTIALLY related IPs gets thrown into the mix "because fantasy". This is how we get MTG tie-ins...

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2023 :  03:38:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Master Katarn

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

We also have them appearing in the 1370s Realms, though, given the Baldur's Gate reference and that atrocious Grand Tour comic. The only ways to fix that issue are to make them somehow very long-lived, or put them on ice for a while.

Given that the cartoon was clearly not set in the Forgotten Realms, and the stuff from the cartoon itself (like their promised return home), I'm sticking with them having gone home, spent time there, then left. It's possible that when they left Earth the third time -- maybe even using the same roller coaster -- it brought them to the Realms instead of the Realm.

Pretty sure the Grand Tour comic is mid-1360s, and the Baldur's Gate reference is only a painting. They'd be 20 something, hardly problematic.

They outright go to Waterdeep at the end of the comic, which has to take place before Requiem. I assume we'll get more clues next issue if they show this to be 1300s Waterdeep or 1400s Waterdeep.

But we see them in current Neverwinter, during the rule of Dagult Neverember. That's well over a hundred years later, so either there's weird temporal shenanigans going on, or they've somehow become seriously long-lived, or they were on ice for a while the way Volo and some of the other pre-Spellplague characters were.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2023 :  04:23:14  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I really don't like this increasingly popular idea of treating The Forgotten Realms as this kind of corporate-pushed fantasy kitchen-sink setting where anything and everything from even TANGENTIALLY related IPs gets thrown into the mix "because fantasy". This is how we get MTG tie-ins...

To be fair, the Forgotten Realms are explicitly dating back to Ed Greenwood, the most kitchen-sink of the fantasy settings. Dragonlance is a place where orcs don't exist, there's one small pantheon, and a lot of the lore exists. In the Realms, there's dozens of fallen Empires, vast magical experiments, endless numbers of gods, portals to different worlds to justify more things happening, and a lot of blank spaces for more craziness to enter.

I also love the Realms when it EMBRACES being the "wacky" setting. Jeff Grubb started it with Alias being a human clone friend to a dinosaur paladin then continued it with the ionsane crew of the Realms Master.

And that is FR at its best.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2023 :  05:14:34  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

Jeff Grubb started it with Alias being a human clone friend to a dinosaur paladin then continued it with the ionsane crew of the Realms Master.

If you take anything out of context, you can make it sound silly...or serious (dark), as well. All it takes is the right wording.

Sorry: I don't embrace this blithe "The Realms were always (primarily) goofy." angle. Are there comedic elements? Sure. Is that the prevailing mood in the aggregate? No.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2023 :  10:33:04  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cartoon is clearly not set in the Forgotten Realms during its airing because the Forgotten Realms didn't exist yet.

HOWEVER, it's not like the original recipe Ed Greenwood Forgotten Realms didn't have places that bizarre eclectic adventures couldn't happen. Part of the charm of the D&D cartoon was it was very much about small communities and moving from town to town like a Western. There was never any huge kingdoms or territories that would require sticking something big into Faerun.

The bigger issue is the absolute bizarrity of stuff they ran along and the fact that the stars and constellations were often very of.

My solution?

Proposed: The cartoon is, indeed, set in the Forgotten Realms retroactively the same way that Maztica, Kara-Tur, Al-Qadim, and the Moonshaes novels were added to it. They take place in the Border Kingdoms that were never deliberately defined and it is set during the Time of Troubles. Why the Time of Troubles? Because that explains why magic and reality are so damned weird. It might also explain why the party is having so much trouble getting home, regardless of Dungeonmaster being a dick. This is why the party keeps encountering Tiamat and she's so vastly weaker than normal.

And yes, I enjoyed reading the comic but there's no room for them NOT being in the Realms. Which is fine. That's the direction they're going with.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 31 Mar 2023 10:38:28
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2023 :  10:36:26  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

quote:

Jeff Grubb started it with Alias being a human clone friend to a dinosaur paladin then continued it with the ionsane crew of the Realms Master.

If you take anything out of context, you can make it sound silly...or serious (dark), as well. All it takes is the right wording.

Sorry: I don't embrace this blithe "The Realms were always (primarily) goofy." angle. Are there comedic elements? Sure. Is that the prevailing mood in the aggregate? No.

It's not the Forgotten Realms, it's Dungeons and Dragons as a whole. I believe that it's better that way too. This should be the world where you find a portal to Alice in Wonderland in Greyhawk and an adventure where you deal with a 200ft tall robot.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqFttxkO0wj/

I consider D&D campaigns that DON'T embrace this to be the exception not the rule. And I think they're the poorer for it. Planescape's Sigil should be more Discworld than Hellblazer.

Mind you, I write comic fantasy novels for a living (4,850+ audiobook ratings for my first book as of today) so I may be biased.

Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2023 :  18:04:03  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

We also have them appearing in the 1370s Realms, though, given the Baldur's Gate reference and that atrocious Grand Tour comic. The only ways to fix that issue are to make them somehow very long-lived, or put them on ice for a while.

Given that the cartoon was clearly not set in the Forgotten Realms, and the stuff from the cartoon itself (like their promised return home), I'm sticking with them having gone home, spent time there, then left. It's possible that when they left Earth the third time -- maybe even using the same roller coaster -- it brought them to the Realms instead of the Realm.

Pretty sure the Grand Tour comic is mid-1360s, and the Baldur's Gate reference is only a painting. They'd be 20 something, hardly problematic.

They outright go to Waterdeep at the end of the comic, which has to take place before Requiem. I assume we'll get more clues next issue if they show this to be 1300s Waterdeep or 1400s Waterdeep.

But we see them in current Neverwinter, during the rule of Dagult Neverember. That's well over a hundred years later, so either there's weird temporal shenanigans going on, or they've somehow become seriously long-lived, or they were on ice for a while the way Volo and some of the other pre-Spellplague characters were.

I'm holding off assuming the guys in the Chris Pine movie are *the* D&D cartoon characters due to the timeline thing, because unlike the Grand Tour comic where they are explicitly named and identified as such, they don't have lines and aren't identified by name in the Pine movie. So we can still headcanon them as cosplayer fans or something.

Most likely though, the next issue of the comic book will throw that theory out an airlock and show them in 1400s Waterdeep, connecting the cartoon to the movie (there are 4 issues in this miniseries, only 1 has come out so far). Then I assume that they'll just ignore Grand Tour and jump the kids from what is explicitly said to be 1980s Earth to 1400s Forgotten Realms and maybe the 4th issue will end at the movie.

But we'll have to see, I'm just speculating now. The next issue comes out April 26.
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
165 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2023 :  18:54:36  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did ponder if the Spellplague caused a timeslip for Toril versus the other worlds of the D&D multiverse (including ours!) and the timeline literally jumped forwards 100 years in an instant. That might also explain the current confusion between the timeline of the Realms (after the timeslip) versus Earth, Oerth, Krynn, Athas etc. During 2E we have the timeline more or less aligned between them all, with the assumption that 3E carried on with that, but the current situation is much more confused (with Spelljammer allowing players to travel from 1490s Toril to Dragonlance during the War of the Lance if they want).

Also, tangentially, the new Drizzt visual guide book reprints the Toril world map from 2E/3E, labelling the "unknown lands" continents for the first time (confirming what's Katashaka and Osse). That's the first time WotC have published (or allowed to be published) a full world map in over 20 years, so maybe a sign they're at least vaguely thinking of other continents/landmasses could be explored, and thus the cartoon kids' adventures could have taken place, say, on Osse.

Edited by - Werthead on 31 Mar 2023 18:56:39
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2023 :  02:31:27  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Azar

quote:

It's not the Forgotten Realms, it's Dungeons and Dragons as a whole. I believe that it's better that way too. This should be the world where you find a portal to Alice in Wonderland in Greyhawk and an adventure where you deal with a 200ft tall robot.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqFttxkO0wj/

I consider D&D campaigns that DON'T embrace this to be the exception not the rule. And I think they're the poorer for it. Planescape's Sigil should be more Discworld than Hellblazer.

Mind you, I write comic fantasy novels for a living (4,850+ audiobook ratings for my first book as of today) so I may be biased.

Yes, you likely are biased. The Wall of the Faithless, Malarites ripping human victims in the woods to shreds, Banites crushing populaces under their iron fists, a fantasy Spanish Inquisition by "well-intentioned" Helmites, the Phaerimm, the Underdark, the Zhentarim, myriad liches scheming with their long games across the whole of Faerun, "mundane" nobles working malevolent ambitions, et cetera, all pull The Realms away from being chiefly humorous. As was previously mentioned, there are comedic elements; you can certainly run a lighthearted Realmsian adventure and yet...whimsy is not default state of affairs for most. I can't say that neutering The Realms makes much sense.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2023 :  03:01:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm holding off assuming the guys in the Chris Pine movie are *the* D&D cartoon characters due to the timeline thing, because unlike the Grand Tour comic where they are explicitly named and identified as such, they don't have lines and aren't identified by name in the Pine movie. So we can still headcanon them as cosplayer fans or something.

They are explicitly named -- in the credits.

And are you really saying that in the Realms, people would be dressing as cartoon characters from another world?

Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2023 :  16:35:47  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

And are you really saying that in the Realms, people would be dressing as cartoon characters from another world?

I didn't see the credits so I didn't know that. Keep in mind the movie *just* came out and I only saw it once in an early preview and don't have the benefit of a digital release pause and rewatch.

I would assume that the cartoon characters achieved some level of fame during their time in the Realms (per the Grand Tour comic) that fans would be dressing up as them 100 years later, yes. Or alternatively it could be the cartoon characters' descendants.

Going by what you say now, I'm guessing this new comic will ignore Grand Tour entirely and the Baldur's Gate easter egg and instead show how they end up in the movie right after the cartoon.

EDIT: A new theory just occurred to me that would allow all prior cameos to fit. The kids ARE in circa 1360s Realms, thus including the Grand Tour comic, at the beginning of IDW comic 1, and the spell at the end was actually a time travel spell that sent them to the 1400s and thus the movie.

Edited by - Master Katarn on 01 Apr 2023 16:38:56
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2023 :  17:56:58  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should point out time travel exists in the cartoon. They encountered a Nazi at one point.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2023 :  20:48:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I didn't see the credits so I didn't know that. Keep in mind the movie *just* came out and I only saw it once in an early preview and don't have the benefit of a digital release pause and rewatch.

Nor I. But there's this website called IMDB...

Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2023 :  18:05:39  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The new video posted on the movie's facebook is hilarious. And since it was posted on the D&D Honor Among Thieves official facebook page, it's new bizarre mind-bending canon to throw every single theory on these past 2 pages into the fires of Mount Hotenow: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=737354154555380

Edited by - Master Katarn on 03 Apr 2023 18:06:36
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2023 :  00:05:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm wondering how many people here have read the comic in question, which is available digitally, isn't that expensive, and is rather short, because points brought up here in this thread are answered in the comic itself already.

The comic makes it clear the cartoon was supposedly set in the Forgotten Realms all along, as I mentioned in my original post. Furthermore, the kids themselves in the comic call the land they're in the Forgotten Realms, which is really strange since in-universe no one describes their world that way, they say Toril, Faerun, etc.

The comic also makes it clear that the kids are from early 1980s Earth in the first page. Not 1960s or whatever. Even more interesting is that in the Grand History of the Realms, as seen at https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/1357_DR , 1357 DR was equated with Earth 1987. Meaning that if you do the math, the kids had to have been running around circa 1350 DR something in the Forgotten Realms (the kids' ages are given in the comic, which indicate that no more than a year has passed since their initial arrival).

They teleport to Waterdeep at comic's end, but it's not clear if it's meant to be another planet or just a new city in the same world.

Abeir might work as a retcon, if you count it as Forgotten Realms somehow, but isn't Abeir's sun supposed to be blue? The sun in the D&D cartoon isn't, I don't think.

If we follow 1357 DR equaling 1987, then the D&D movie takes place in the late 1490s DR, meaning the Earth year equivalent would be late 2090s. If these are the same D&D kids they'd be well over 100 years old.

I haven't... link?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2023 :  00:09:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The cartoon is clearly not set in the Forgotten Realms during its airing because the Forgotten Realms didn't exist yet.

HOWEVER, it's not like the original recipe Ed Greenwood Forgotten Realms didn't have places that bizarre eclectic adventures couldn't happen. Part of the charm of the D&D cartoon was it was very much about small communities and moving from town to town like a Western. There was never any huge kingdoms or territories that would require sticking something big into Faerun.

The bigger issue is the absolute bizarrity of stuff they ran along and the fact that the stars and constellations were often very of.

My solution?

Proposed: The cartoon is, indeed, set in the Forgotten Realms retroactively the same way that Maztica, Kara-Tur, Al-Qadim, and the Moonshaes novels were added to it. They take place in the Border Kingdoms that were never deliberately defined and it is set during the Time of Troubles. Why the Time of Troubles? Because that explains why magic and reality are so damned weird. It might also explain why the party is having so much trouble getting home, regardless of Dungeonmaster being a dick. This is why the party keeps encountering Tiamat and she's so vastly weaker than normal.

And yes, I enjoyed reading the comic but there's no room for them NOT being in the Realms. Which is fine. That's the direction they're going with.

Wasn't there some issue with the number of moons... might be wrong.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2023 :  01:17:44  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I haven't... link?

You may have to adjust the Amazon URL to match whatever country you're in: https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Saturday-Morning-Adventures-ebook/dp/B0BQRV163M
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2023 :  03:07:14  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which could be a sign of the world's merging (Spellplague) or just a sign Selune is utterly out of sync without its goddess.

Go to Top of Page

Athreeren
Learned Scribe

128 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2023 :  18:24:55  Show Profile Send Athreeren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Which could be a sign of the world's merging (Spellplague) or just a sign Selune is utterly out of sync without its goddess.

If it takes place during the Time of Troubles as you suggested, we know that there could be three suns at once in the sky on some days and in some places when no god is there to control the sun's trajectory. So I'd say it's a given that the number of Moons could be wrong. If it's the Spellplague though, I don't know how chaotic those years were in comparison with the ToT.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2023 :  20:10:43  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say Time of Troubles would be better, yeah.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2023 :  00:09:14  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So yeah, this is a huge retcon, and it's another sign that the current "design" team just doesn't care about continuity and thinks the Realms is a salad bar they can pick and choose from and ignore anything they don't like.

To be fair, I think it's more likely that they wanted to throw a recognizable reference, easter egg, or "homage" into the new film. With the intention of pleasing the audience, not with the intention of stomping on lore.

Those stupid kids in the cartoon kept stumbling around from place to place every week. A lot of recognizable generic 1E adventures in a recognizable generic Greyhawk-like D&D setting, they also fought German aircraft from WW2, they ventured into the the planar domain of a "demodragon" thing, they found a Blackmoor-like spaceship, they travelled through time (a few times), they were teleported and portalled all over the place (sometimes to different worlds, Earth among them). There were even one or two episodes which looked, if you squinted a little, like they could've been set in the mists of Ravenloft.

So it seems perfectly plausible that they'd find themselves in the middle of movie set in the Realms.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 05 Apr 2023 00:14:50
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2023 :  02:49:06  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also not sure what's so weird about them being in the Realms during two vastly different time periods. Mirt is alive and back to lending money in 5th Edition.

I'm actually pissed off Alusair ISNT back from the dead.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2023 :  18:21:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I haven't... link?

You may have to adjust the Amazon URL to match whatever country you're in: https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Saturday-Morning-Adventures-ebook/dp/B0BQRV163M

4 bucks for a virtual comic book that I'm not expecting to be well researched? Call me cheap, but I'll pass. A dollar maybe... or 4 bucks for the complete collection of 4... It's just not that important to me, and if they wrote themselves into a corner from the get go by putting dates in it.... well, I'm not impressed with their forethought.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2023 :  21:50:00  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
4 bucks for a virtual comic book that I'm not expecting to be well researched? Call me cheap, but I'll pass. A dollar maybe... or 4 bucks for the complete collection of 4... It's just not that important to me, and if they wrote themselves into a corner from the get go by putting dates in it.... well, I'm not impressed with their forethought.

The specific facts don't matter to me.

I'm more annoyed by the poor characterization. Hank wants to go home and is whining, Eric is okay with staying, and everyone else is going along with Eric.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2023 :  22:37:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm more annoyed by the poor characterization. Hank wants to go home and is whining, Eric is okay with staying, and everyone else is going along with Eric.

This!

And the artwork -- it's more cartoonish than the original cartoon was.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2023 :  01:34:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I take it you read it? Yeah, that does sound odd.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2023 :  03:02:06  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of you folks give the creative talent working at behest of these IP owners way way way too much credit when you attempt to attribute an impressive amount of foresight to people who probably deserve none whatsoever.

Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2023 :  04:16:55  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Issue 2 came out this week. Not to spoil too much but there is no insight added into what was already discussed here. There is absolutely nothing to identify what timeframe of the Realms this issue takes place in. Nor are there any shout outs or tie-ins to the movie that I noticed.
Go to Top of Page

redking
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2023 :  11:23:48  Show Profile Send redking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So yeah, this is a huge retcon, and it's another sign that the current "design" team just doesn't care about continuity and thinks the Realms is a salad bar they can pick and choose from and ignore anything they don't like.

I saw the cartoons as a kid and then watched the entire series again last year. Retcons aside, "the Realm" is not Toril. It could be a demiplane as you say. It could even be another world on the prime material plane.

I am sick of hearing about how the current design team "loves the Forgotten Realms setting" as the excuse for every loathsome thing that they do to the setting. They may love the setting, but they don't respect it.

The Realm is great but it's a different setting that is worth exploring separately.
Go to Top of Page

Vinzor Burrow
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2023 :  10:40:43  Show Profile Send Vinzor Burrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Oh, and I would be surprised if anyone in FR referred to it as the "forgotten" realms.... the realms maybe... Toril, Faerun, Realmspace, Abeir-Toril... maybe... but I just can't buy anyone in setting calling it "the forgotten realms".

But somebody visiting with a different frame of reference might.

Signed,
Vinzor Burrow of Chavyondat
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000