Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Anti-Magic People/Nation
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2023 :  14:53:12  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So this has been in my head for many years, and I'm curious as to whether this has been suggested at all in all of Toril, not just Faerun, but are there people, or an organization, that's all about "Anti-Magic"? Officially speaking.

They'd be the hardcore version of Luddites but for magic. People/creatures that believe in living life without the destruction and catastrophes that magic has brought time and time again to the world and their lives. To live free from it. No more people being enchanted with charms, no more people desecrating life by raising undead, no more razing entire villages with some well-placed fireballs.

I'd understand such a group in Faerun would be exterminated rather quickly.

So, unofficially, what if such a group migrated to a place where people like Mystran and Azuth priests, wizards, and Mystra's Chosen don't really pay attention to at all. Since they're so busy on Faerun all the time.

And this group developed anti-magic techniques for warriors, had found methods of making dead magic zones to make settlements in, and so on.

Was thinking of using one of those "Unknown Continents" that we have no real info on, like Osse or north of Maztica or possibly that land mass that's to the west of Maztica, as a location for such a group that plans to develop into a nation (or have been developing this entire time without anyone noticing, because, once again, the world only cares about Faerun). They search for means to create a dead magic zone so massive, Mystra and others would have issues healing it over. Like a permanent "scar" to the Weave. And their end goal is to make all of Toril like this, as they become expansionist in their anti-magic views.

I think it'd be pretty interesting. And would involve class features or abilities for characters and NPCs to be able to resist and destroy magic with ease. A blade strike that can sunder magical protections, a shield swing that can toss aside a ray attack, ability to absorb magical attacks and dispersing it with ease moreso than anyone else is capable of, experiments that infuse people of this organization/growing nation with a substance that grants them an insane amount of magic resistance.

Be an interesting story arc, also, for like some region of the Sword Coast to get attacked and as spellcasters try to fight them back, their magic missiles, fireballs and lightning bolts are just dissipating off the enemy as if all they did was splash water on them.

If anyone has read the "Sword of Truth" series, the author did something like this I believe in one of the novels, from what a friend told me.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2023 :  17:54:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

So, unofficially, what if such a group migrated to a place where people like Mystran and Azuth priests, wizards, and Mystra's Chosen don't really pay attention to at all. Since they're so busy on Faerun all the time.

We don't know about anything aside from Faerûn, so I don't think we can say that no one pays attention to those places. I'm sure that there are Mystran and Azuthan clergy and wizards -- or those of a corresponding local deity -- on other continents. And either openly or in secret, Mystra would likely have Chosen there, since it's not like the Weave is limited to one continent.

I think it unlikely that any people living in a high-magic setting would reject all magic. Even if they didn't want to get fireballed, if little Temmy breaks his arm or has a fever, they're not going to turn down healing magic.

I could see a society being against arcane magic, but not all magic. Even people like the Uthgardt, who reject arcane magic, still have their shamans and such using divine magic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2023 :  23:13:02  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Yeah, I'd imagine that it would be difficult to have a real, complete anti-magic group/society when magic is so baked into the setting. I mean, we have people who are anti-science but they don't not believe in gravity...in the changing of seasons...in evaporation...and so on.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2023 :  07:16:26  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out House Kanarok and the Cult of Entropy in Luthcheq, Chessenta. The best source is 2E's Old Empires. They are also in 3E Lords of Darkness.

Mulmaster outlawed magic in 5E

Lets see, Karsites (ToM, descendents of Karsus and his slaves) are unable to cast spells of any sort. And as a race, they breed true, but create recessive genes when breeding with humans (and other races, in case you want karsite half orcs)
Fluff says they have a few enclaves bent on controlling the world.

There's the Kir-lanans, they hate the gods and all divine casters. They can not cast divine spells. And are as a race cursed to Kelemvors realm as faithless. I always felt they should've done more to make the Kir-lanans a noticeable threat in 3.X.

Shining South has a prestige class called magehound, they are the anti magic or maybe vs magic people from Hallaura.

There's always Gond, basically the God of technology. In the Trial of Cyric books, he makes 'robots' that plane travel with mechanical sounds. And Gond walks from place to place on the planes, so no one sees him teleport.

FR has a LOT of magic eaters, nishruu, hakeashar, larkaren, spellgaunts, and magebanes.

From Planescape you have the Athar.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2023 :  12:56:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hear the magic dead zone which covers much of the city of Tantras is quite popular for those who wish to avoid magics.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2023 :  16:22:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bloodtide_the_red

There's the Kir-lanans, they hate the gods and all divine casters. They can not cast divine spells. And are as a race cursed to Kelemvors realm as faithless. I always felt they should've done more to make the Kir-lanans a noticeable threat in 3.X.

4E made them loyal to Shar, because it was 4E and everything had to be Shar or Shade.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2023 :  08:42:35  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More or less aggressively oppose: Uthgardt barbarians. Reghedmen. Luthcheq. Emerald Enclave.
Mostly passively oppose (won't actively antagonize, won't have anything to do with): the Bedine.
Use, but monopolize/restrict: Amn, Mulmaster, Cormyr (to much lesser degree).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 28 Mar 2023 08:43:31
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
165 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2023 :  19:21:50  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As mentioned before, Luthcheq in Chessenta burns mages at the stake and is virulently opposed to all forms of arcane magic. However, they don't have so much trouble with divine magic and the city is defended by priests (presumably of the cult of Entropy).

There is one adventure ("Into the Nest of Vipers," Dungeon #75) which suggests that plants that grow in a dead magic zone retain their anti-magic properties outside of the zone, and might be a way of quietly (if slowly) spreading dead magic zones elsewhere in the Realms.

The northern third of Tantras was a dead magic zone, as was part of the Brynwood in the Vast (near Sevenecho) and also the village of Dead Tree Hollow and the surrounding valley, also in the Vast.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2023 :  02:48:14  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by bloodtide_the_red

4E made them loyal to Shar, because it was 4E and everything had to be Shar or Shade.

I wouldn't say the entire race of beings are beholden to Shar, but there was at least a blurb as to why:

quote:
Originally posted by Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, pg 241

When they first appeared, kir-lanans were outside divine influence and hated all deities. However, they formed temporary alliances with the servants of wicked divinities, mainly Shar. Many kir-lanans liked Shar’s doctrine of ultimate dissolution. Over time, the race fell under Shar’s sway.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000