Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Weresnails!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2023 :  04:45:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Over on the Greenwood's Grotto Discord, Ed just mentioned -- and then expanded on -- weresnails.

This lore delights me and I'm sharing it here.

Malarite — 03/02/2023 9:09 PM

@Ed Greenwood How might a random farmer/merchant/noble react if they, through context clues, realized a nearby stranger is a lycanthrope? Do other details affect what reaction theyd have?

Ed Greenwood — 03/02/2023 11:05 PM

Their reaction will depend on their own previous (and family lore”) experience with lycanthropes, how safe or unsafe they feel considering surroundings, allies or companions present or near, and access to priests (healers) and adventurers. Then it will depend on the behaviour of the “nearby stranger,” and then how beautiful the “nearby stranger” is, and then how calm/confident the random farmer/merchant/noble is (how well they’re armed, if there are barriers, if they’re sober).

So this is an “it depends” answer, but in general: there’d be instant wariness. No turning their back, no not being alert. Then there’d be: what SORT of lycanthrope? A werewolf? Or a weredragon (song dragon)? Or is it a weresnail?

Sheepy — 03/02/2023 11:11 PM

Dang it, already blew my Q4Ed comment for the day! Now I want to ask about weresnails!

Ed Greenwood — 03/02/2023 11:14 PM

Weresnails are most common in the Shining South. They tend to be the size of large sea turtles, or smaller. Their shells are dark brown to slate gray. They taste good roasted.

Sheepy — 03/02/2023 11:15 PM

Are they predominantly members of any particular humanish race, or do they resemble one?

Ed Greenwood — 03/02/2023 11:17 PM

Gnomes and halflings. Predominantly. (Not kidding.) Some loxo, some humans.

Sheepy — 03/02/2023 11:18 PM

I absolutely love this weresnail lore, and even if it's a joke, I'm considering it canon

Ed Greenwood — 03/02/2023 11:26 PM

No joke. It got used in an RPGA adventure years ago: people shifted shape and the PCs couldn't find them. As they leaned on the "giant snail statues" and wondered where said people went.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2023 :  16:33:02  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do weresnails have vulnerability to salt?
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2023 :  00:26:55  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now this one actually sounds actually done as a curse, rather than something along the lines of "I wanted to make a living weapon to terrorize the peasants, and this dolt was in reach, lol".
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Do weresnails have vulnerability to salt?

This would make them more miserable, so probably yes.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2023 :  03:27:21  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Now this one actually sounds actually done as a curse, rather than something along the lines of "I wanted to make a living weapon to terrorize the peasants, and this dolt was in reach, lol".

Well yeah, those would be the were-flail-snails instead

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2023 :  03:36:08  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am wondering who eat them roasted?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2023 :  11:12:01  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

Well yeah, those would be the were-flail-snails instead

"Any Subterranean".
Even if not, the problem remains the same: the weresnail suddenly shapeshifted and managed to corner one dude by surprise... then it tries to leave the scene of brutal murder before the entire village finds out what caused these screams. Oh wait, it cannot.
If it tried to rampage through countryside anyway, it’s very slow and averse to bright light. Most likely could be blocked with primitive ground barriers (rake/harrow type spikes, large caltrops, or even sharp stones), and even if not, with fires. A very slow creature without good range is very vulnerable in the open and incapable of catching up to anyone who retreats. Even with typical were-whatever weapon immunity, the price of silver tipped javelins (or harpoons) is its only real defence. But then, thrown torches could probably do the job too.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 04 Mar 2023 11:21:45
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2023 :  03:16:18  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

-Unintentionally, okay, sure, whatever. Knowing that what you're roasting is a weresnail and you're okay with that and planning on eating it anyway, kinda rough lol.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerűn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerűn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2023 :  05:37:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

-Unintentionally, okay, sure, whatever. Knowing that what you're roasting is a weresnail and you're okay with that and planning on eating it anyway, kinda rough lol.

I wouldn't eat snails even if I had an ironclad assurance that they weren't weresnails. I tried escargot, once, on a cruise.

Once.

It tasted like garlicy rubber.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2023 :  07:47:16  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I wouldn't eat snails even if I had an ironclad assurance that they weren't weresnails. I tried escargot, once, on a cruise.

Once.

It tasted like garlicy rubber.

Garlic and parsley is the way, yes. rubbery means it wasn't cooked well (overcooked). Same as with calamari.

Or illithid. Tentacle is tentacle, yeah? Beat them 'till soft (and to death) on a shining, sun-dried rock and its' good, regardless of cephalopod provenance.

...hey, turnabout is fair play, you malicious (but delicious) mind-monsters!

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2023 :  12:37:16  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do were-cone-snails have a DC 30 save or die poison attack?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2023 :  19:51:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, if you look at the 5e monster manual for lyncanthropes for the section of "shapechanger"... they all say "It reverts to its true form if it dies". So, I'm thinking people that like to eat halflings, gnomes, loxo, and/or humans.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2023 :  03:20:24  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Well, if you look at the 5e monster manual for lyncanthropes for the section of "shapechanger"... they all say "It reverts to its true form if it dies". So, I'm thinking people that like to eat halflings, gnomes, loxo, and/or humans.

I believe that standard runs though all or most editions. However I also seem to recall that some lyncanthropes original/birth form was an animal. The disease is what has been the biggest problem, not the monster itself, because it could make you like one of them.

Edited by - Kentinal on 07 Mar 2023 03:21:41
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2023 :  13:53:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

I believe that standard runs though all or most editions. However I also seem to recall that some lyncanthropes original/birth form was an animal. The disease is what has been the biggest problem, not the monster itself, because it could make you like one of them.

Most aren't referred to as lyncanthropes in those cases though if I recall correctly, and they didn't pass on the disease. For instance, the wolfwere is one such case. There have been cases where people were called lyncanthropes (such as the lythari) and they weren't curse/disease spreaders, but I believe there was a bit of an outcry in those instances to clarify this. Werepegasi are another case of shapechangers that didn't spread their magical disease/curse, but are referred to as "were", but I'm not certain that canon sources ever refer to werepegasi as "lyncanthropes". I think its just a misnomer that commoners interchange "were" on to the name of some shapechangers and its essentially that they are just hengeyokai/katanga or some other type of shapechanger.

From the above description, I'd find it rather odd if they stated that weresnails aren't a lyncanthrope who spreads their disease/curse since it states that they are such a diverse mix of base races.... plus he even references them not only as snails, but also lyncanthropes in the thread. As a result, I'd expect them to be like most other lyncanthropes and change shape back after death. Of course, he could easily say that they don't, but in the lack of such statement, I default to the default for lyncanthropes. Maybe because they are shapechangers who become snails, their humanoid flesh has some oddness to it that is enhanced when roasted..... maybe goblins keep a living weresnail so that they can toss captured gnomes and halflings to it, infect them, and then later roast them for a succulent treat. Maybe some malar worshipping wemics uncovered this secret and decided to use it on some loxo and human prisoners.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000