Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Denizens of Limbo
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Celephais
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2023 :  03:13:20  Show Profile Send Celephais a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, here's my situation. A buddy of mine just started a new campaign based on Out of the Abyss. I rolled up a Githzerai druid. We got to level two by the end of the first session, which was tonight. I have all my other level 2 stuff sorted, but I'm a bit stuck on my choice of creature for Wild Shape. I want to pick something that's native to Limbo (the home plane of Githzerai, as I'm sure you folks already know) but that also meets the CR 1/4 rule as well. I can't find a list of creatures native to Limbo anywhere. Might you good folks be able to give me some suggestions that fit my parameters so I can keep the theme of this character going?

Death's so quick but it can last so long.

Karthak
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2023 :  08:28:33  Show Profile Send Karthak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's very few native animals listed in a 2e book covering Limbo, but it mentions that Githzerai keep animals they gather from other planes, 5e also mentions something similar so it's your call as your character would've seen a random selection of beasts if they grew up in Limbo, using a random number generator to determine how many beasts of different CRs and which ones is your best way of handling it.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2023 :  16:24:36  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Maybe pick a normal animal that would be a regular Wild Shape but make it weird because it's Limbo. Mechanically, it would be a regular old whatever, but in your games, it's chaotic. A cow with two heads. A bat with four wings instead of two. A giant frog that constantly changes colors.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Celephais
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2023 :  17:13:13  Show Profile Send Celephais a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Maybe pick a normal animal that would be a regular Wild Shape but make it weird because it's Limbo. Mechanically, it would be a regular old whatever, but in your games, it's chaotic. A cow with two heads. A bat with four wings instead of two. A giant frog that constantly changes colors.

Ah, now that sounds like a good idea. As I was flipping through the animal lists in the MM and PHB last night my imagination was really caught by the elk for whatever reason, so I think I'll do that but Limbo it up. Thanks a bunch to both of you.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2023 :  18:15:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Celephais

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

Ah, now that sounds like a good idea. As I was flipping through the animal lists in the MM and PHB last night my imagination was really caught by the elk for whatever reason, so I think I'll do that but Limbo it up. Thanks a bunch to both of you.

I like LK's idea, too.

For a Limbo elk, I'd have it have unusual coloration, and it'd be the antlers that were weird. Maybe a spiky, static formation, or maybe the antlers could be periodically changed. One day, flat and mostly-elkish, but with an open webwork in the antlers; the next day, sweeping back and then forward and very blade-like, etc.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2023 :  01:04:10  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about an elk with 3 horns and a boney frill like a triceratops? that would certainly be distinctive.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2023 :  01:12:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of an elk whose horn shapes are constantly shifting. As an aside to that, one of the things I was doing for Anchorome involved there being several large herds of giant elk. Elk shed their horns periodically. So, there would be significantly sized sets of horns (possibly the size of a long sword) that would end up cast off in Anchorome. So, in Anchorome, I had a special cultural weapon known as an "antler staff". In some respects, it might be like a very spike version of a Klingon Batleth... or it might be more like a very spiky version of a double scimitar (depending how a pair of antlers might be put together... both facing same direction or opposite directions for more of a spinning weapon).

So, now take THAT idea and spin it with shed morphing antlers. The pieces might be sliced off and sold, or it might make a weapon... there might be some kind of market.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2023 :  21:29:02  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, here's my situation. A buddy of mine just started a new campaign based on Out of the Abyss. I rolled up a Githzerai druid. We got to level two by the end of the first session, which was tonight. I have all my other level 2 stuff sorted, but I'm a bit stuck on my choice of creature for Wild Shape.

Maybe paying more attention to backgrounds is a good thing, after all.
quote:
I can't find a list of creatures native to Limbo anywhere. Might you good folks be able to give me some suggestions that fit my parameters so I can keep the theme of this character going?

Planescape box and Planes of Chaos are the most obvious. But that's an answer to the wrong question.

A druid on Limbo would make any sense at all only in unusual places, such as Yggdrasil or domains of gods. Even then, most of the latter are unlikely to have anything that resembles a sane ecosystem even if you squint at it. I can only think of Fennimar. But this fits perfectly, in that if he does not bother the locals, Fenmarel Mestarine would probably be cool with an outcast like this hanging out in his kip.
So, two variants.
The easy way: this githzerai became a druid after wandering off the plane. Presumably to Beastlands, via Yggdrasil.
The tricky way: he is from one of those places. Again, two variants: Yggdrasil or Fennimar.
Accordingly, the beast form would depend on where the githzerai became a druid:
- If he helped the ratatosk with protection and maintenance of the World Ash, some sort of a squirrel is the obvious choice.
- If he was trained by one of those brooding elves, something that lives in particularly wild elven forests.

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

How about an elk with 3 horns and a boney frill like a triceratops? that would certainly be distinctive.

Yes... Xanxaost would remember eating something like that.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 24 Feb 2023 21:31:51
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2023 :  01:25:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you like dogs, Dragon #117 article: "Hounds of Space and Darkness".

If you like horses, Dragon #243: "Destriers of the Planes".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2023 :  16:40:00  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

If you like dogs, Dragon #117 article: "Hounds of Space and Darkness".

If you like horses, Dragon #243: "Destriers of the Planes".

-- George Krashos

Felt like creating a bit today - made this as an update to 5e from George's suggestion.

https://imgur.com/Ns7EYQu

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Celephais
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2023 :  16:57:17  Show Profile Send Celephais a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

So, here's my situation. A buddy of mine just started a new campaign based on Out of the Abyss. I rolled up a Githzerai druid. We got to level two by the end of the first session, which was tonight. I have all my other level 2 stuff sorted, but I'm a bit stuck on my choice of creature for Wild Shape.

Maybe paying more attention to backgrounds is a good thing, after all.
quote:
I can't find a list of creatures native to Limbo anywhere. Might you good folks be able to give me some suggestions that fit my parameters so I can keep the theme of this character going?

Planescape box and Planes of Chaos are the most obvious. But that's an answer to the wrong question.

A druid on Limbo would make any sense at all only in unusual places, such as Yggdrasil or domains of gods. Even then, most of the latter are unlikely to have anything that resembles a sane ecosystem even if you squint at it. I can only think of Fennimar. But this fits perfectly, in that if he does not bother the locals, Fenmarel Mestarine would probably be cool with an outcast like this hanging out in his kip.
So, two variants.
The easy way: this githzerai became a druid after wandering off the plane. Presumably to Beastlands, via Yggdrasil.
The tricky way: he is from one of those places. Again, two variants: Yggdrasil or Fennimar.
Accordingly, the beast form would depend on where the githzerai became a druid:
- If he helped the ratatosk with protection and maintenance of the World Ash, some sort of a squirrel is the obvious choice.
- If he was trained by one of those brooding elves, something that lives in particularly wild elven forests.

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Yes... Xanxaost would remember eating something like that.

Just to clarify, the whole concept was that he left Limbo due to exhaustion from the constant warring with the githyanki. He became a druid on the material plane because he wanted to foster life instead of taking it. His background is Faction Agent as he's a member of the gith society that seeks to reunify the two kindreds. He's been having a ball studying the wildlife of the material plane and I kind of assumed that his genetic make up would be a bit weird being a native of a non-material plane and all, thus making his transformations a bit psychedelic.

Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2023 :  19:04:09  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chaos beasts might be the scariest encounter in Limbo, because they can turn other creatures into chaos beasts by mere physical contact, if memory serves correctly.

A fate potentially worse than death.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

Karthak
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2023 :  08:57:30  Show Profile Send Karthak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's an "island" called Pinwheel in Limbo that's home to many dangerous and powerful beasts, basically any creature that dwells in forests or Jungles might be found there, it's gigantic and while dangerous, is used as a rest stop for people travelling through Limbo and also connects to Yggdrasil, if that's useful for your backstory.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000