Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Critical Role D&D gaming eps
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2023 :  13:38:58  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok I was watching Season 1 of Critical Role's D&D game, well I was wondering as a person who is more of collector the player of D&D.

The game was more giggly then serious, is this normal for a D&D rpg game?.

I would prefer a more realistic D&D setting and game,

LW

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2023 :  15:05:22  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been my normal game for at least 30 years. I've yet to see a game that was ultra-serious AND entertaining.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2023 :  15:23:50  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I watch "1 for all" sometimes.
Not actual gaming sessions, just comedy stories set in a generic D&D backdrop. Rules and mechanics aren't really mentioned, except for when they frustrate the players and DM for narrative purposes.

I tried watching Viva La Dirt playing D&D. Funny guys - their other stuff is hilarious - but the contrived gaming sessions are just unentertaining for me.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2023 :  16:32:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joking and such is a part of D&D. You're having fun with friends, so there is joking -- the same as would happen if the group wasn't at the gaming table.

And movie references come up a lot, too. Particularly Monty Python and the Holy Grail, though there are others (one of the people in my group likes to reference Big Trouble in Little China, and in our current Traveller game, his character is named Jack Burton)

In our sessions the word "giggity" from Family Guy gets used at least once a session, because someone inevitably says something invoking that response.

I remain particularly proud of a Monty Python reference I made in a campaign with a different group... We had just killed a triceratops (we had dubbed it a "triple rhino"), and one dude wanted to keep its head as a trophy. We couldn't carry it with us, and we were heading off to do something else, so the discussion was about leaving it and grabbing it on the way back. The dude was concerned about some pegasi we'd seen earlier, worried they'd take that triceratops head. Another guy asked, "how are they going to carry it?" -- and then I popped up with "He could grip it by the husk!"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2023 :  10:59:49  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so you how long since I last played so the joking is normal at the table, So I don't even know what it's like anymore like stated before it was few table games of 2nd D&D. I'm more collector then a player so I have to play D&D 5th version, so I can learn to be a DM.

I've would love that my homebrew world feature weekly on Critical Role, Canadian players would make for an interesting table top game, the World itself is Hard/Dark Fantasy and timeframe is late Middle Ages to early Renaissance.

Right now it's just me I need to find a group localey to play with, live stream cost money and I never used Twitch before.

LW
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2023 :  19:07:36  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a time to be serious and time to joke. The tone may very well change multiple times over the same session. Let it.
Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2023 :  01:42:08  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well like I said it has bin long time since last play a D&D table top game, I see by the streaming game that I need to buy the figures for D&D 5th rpg.

LW
Go to Top of Page

Karthak
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2023 :  02:42:43  Show Profile Send Karthak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't fall into that money trap, even if you're planning to stream, you can get by with anything to mark the location of monsters on the map, my last dm just used checker pieces with pieces of paper indicating which monster was which on a roll up grid map and just described the monsters well enough for us players.

I've even watched a campaign where it was all theater of the mind and offscreen dice rolls and it was one of the best d&d video series/streams that I've seen.
Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2023 :  16:59:45  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok but were did Critical Role's DM's got his wooden DM screen?, because there Stream is so popular they get alot of goodies.

I don't want to fall into the Money Trap but Critical Role is the bar to beat so to speak when comes to streaming D&D and other tabletop RPG's.

LW
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2023 :  20:48:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LWhitehead1

Ok but were did Critical Role's DM's got his wooden DM screen?, because there Stream is so popular they get alot of goodies.

I don't want to fall into the Money Trap but Critical Role is the bar to beat so to speak when comes to streaming D&D and other tabletop RPG's.

LW

You'll never come close to that bar without sinking some money into it.

As for wooden DM screens, do some Googling. There's plenty of them out there. Cool ones in other materials, too; I've seen some 3D printed ones that look like castles and incorporate dice towers.

Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2023 :  23:41:04  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's my big problem right now I'm one person with a idea and empty pockets, 3D Printers cost too. Serious bank which I don't have right now I'm a starting stage. I've got play D&D 5th first.

LW
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2023 :  02:59:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's my big problem right now I'm one person with a idea and empty pockets, 3D Printers cost too. Serious bank which I don't have right now I'm a starting stage. I've got play D&D 5th first.

LW

So go play. Learn the game. See what works and what doesn't, and build from there.

Go to Top of Page

Karthak
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2023 :  12:00:25  Show Profile Send Karthak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You said you played 2e a bit in the past, why not relearn and use that system instead of learning all of 5e's mechanics when its a year or two away from being replaced by the new version of d&d?

Especially given recent events involving wotc has apparently pushed a lot of people to look at other systems than 5e, making you playing something that is d&d but not 5e being a way to stand out from other people running d&d games online.
Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2023 :  18:01:56  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I see your point, but I want to learn 5th D&D, One of the reasons why I want to learn and play D&D 5th version is D&D beyond it's in 5th version.

I want hedge my bets so to speak so I'll keep buying 5th D&D books,

LW
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2023 :  18:38:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
... I'm one person with a idea and empty pockets, 3D Printers cost too. Serious bank which I don't have right now ...

3D printers are expensive. Less expensive or used/older models are still able to print well enough to small-scale objects without highest detail quality.

Although it's true that if you don't already have an interest in 3D printing then it's likely you wouldn't really want one at your home. It's not as consumer-ready and consumer-friendly as a 2D printer. 3D printers are starting to come out as pretty appliances, but they still require a fair amount of technical lore and melted plastic stench and high maintenance andendless hours of experimenting to print anything worthwhile.

But many other people (and businesses) do have 3D printers. Especially in large municipalities. Some explicitly offer 3D printing services, some primarily use their 3D printers for engineering prototypes. But they can all produce single objects or small runs rather affordably if you provide the 3D schematic.

Some of the best 3D software is free. The owner of the 3D printer will happily tell you which software and formats are preferred. You could pay someone to scan your physical objects or to design your imaginary objects in a 3D software format - but using the software can take time so you might want to DIY instead of paying others to do it for you.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2023 :  17:30:20  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must ask is there Streaming fan base for AD&D 2nd setting I'm thinking of using it for my homebrew world that I want to feature streaming, yes I use D&D 5th Races and Classes listed in the player's guide to start with. I need also all of new playable 5th Races and classes AD&D 2nd versions of them.

If I go down this path then I see a away to attract interest and Twitch members, the feature AD&D 2nd players would be called The Golden Age Gamers. We would also I hope feature out Print old RPG and some Table top games like Crimson Skies.

LW
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2023 :  23:20:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I must ask is there Streaming fan base for AD&D 2nd setting I'm thinking of using it for my homebrew world that I want to feature streaming, yes I use D&D 5th Races and Classes listed in the player's guide to start with. I need also all of new playable 5th Races and classes AD&D 2nd versions of them.

Maybe? We would have no real way of knowing that, ourselves.

Again, you need to do your own research instead of asking someone else.

Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2023 :  05:20:35  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am right now but I still like to use D&D 5th version, Arab adventure Kits I need to figure out D&D 5th versions of them. Sha'ir as stated before has bin mention in D&D 5th RPG books.

LW
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2023 :  20:35:40  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A degree of humor is to be expected, but CR's stripe of humor is often contrived. Remember the observer effect; people tend to behave differently when a camera is pointed their way.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2023 :  17:31:51  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CR isn't all giggles. There are some very emotional and gut wrenching moments. But the players do crack a lot of jokes, which is part of the fun. You can be crying one minute and lmao the next. A game shouldn't be all serious, imho.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2023 :  19:03:21  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

CR isn't all giggles. There are some very emotional and gut wrenching moments. But the players do crack a lot of jokes, which is part of the fun. You can be crying one minute and lmao the next. A game shouldn't be all serious, imho.

All the same, a Dungeon Master/player should not feel limited to the standards of an internet show explicitly designed for broad-appeal entertainment...a production featuring comfortable (i.e., at least moderately affluent) and professional voice actors.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2023 :  22:41:11  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should point out that most D&D players aren't voice actors and moderately affluent, also Exandria setting has very much Pathfinder feel towards it. The Character design and feel of it is like a Pathfinder RPG game.

The main problem and the hopeful players might have problem is general world setting of Werra, how does one do a D&D Heroic version of Dark or Grim & Perilous setting and Realistic setting tech and culture level is at Late Middle Ages to Middle Renaissance.

Warhammer Fantasy, Dragon Age Video Games and RPG, Zweihander RPG are my sources also history as well.

LW
Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2023 :  08:51:35  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All right I'm going back to the 15th Century setting based on the War of the Roses, I feel that this bit of history fits better for a D&D setting but I might get in trouble with the creator of A Song of Ice and Fire. Can one make a realistic Hero Fantasy setting D&D setting, ore more realistic touches to it.

LW

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2023 :  10:41:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GRR Martin doesn't own the War of the Roses. It's a historical event. Even if he notices your efforts, he can't do anything about it, so long as your thing isn't based on or otherwise derivative of his work.

That said, it's going to invite others to compare the two, so you'll need to make yours distinctive to make it stand out.

Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2023 :  18:36:04  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I want this world and setting to be a Heroic Fantasy hard touch towards it, Tal'Dorei keeps jumping out on me as an original setting and world.

The other problem is that I'm feeling that I'm ripping off ideas from other sources such as Dragon Age, Elven Gettos are a good idea only Two of the Demi Human Races have a new home the rest don't my Evil Arcane Empire that once ruled over the world there the ones who have destoried the original homelands of most of the Dwarves, Halings, surface Elves and Gnomes. All Demi Human races are enslaved in the Arcanum Invictus Imperium they currently have domain over the Western Continet.

LW
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000