Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Looking for Magic Rings
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2023 :  09:30:45  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay need a little help. I'm looking for a set of magical rings that appeared in print somewhere but can't seem to find them. It was a set of 4 rings that dealt with elemental magic. If a character wore more than one, the powers increased. I'm pretty sure it was 2nd Edition, located in the Forgotten Realms. I may be confusing them with the para- and quasi-elemental rings in Dragon #120, but I don't think so.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Karthak
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2023 :  12:25:56  Show Profile Send Karthak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are these the rings you're thinking of?

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Ruling_rings_of_Yrix_Alquinnar
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2023 :  14:22:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always been more fond of collecting ioun stones than rings. Pretty shapes and colours, whirling around and making you look boss. Always great for starting conversations.

But rings are good.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2023 :  02:39:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karthak

Are these the rings you're thinking of?

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Ruling_rings_of_Yrix_Alquinnar

Karthak is right. Steven Schend Dragon #213 magazine article "Series Magic".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2023 :  04:10:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I've always been more fond of collecting ioun stones than rings. Pretty shapes and colours, whirling around and making you look boss. Always great for starting conversations.

But rings are good.

Ioun stones are cool, but I've never liked that they have to orbit you to be useful -- and anyone can grab them when they're orbiting you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2023 :  17:25:34  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

But rings are good.

Ioun stones are cool, but I've never liked that they have to orbit you to be useful -- and anyone can grab them when they're orbiting you.

Ahem (I made this a long time ago and would rename it today):

Swizzarmmi Blade: Believed to have been developed for the troops of a long-ago kingdom, a swizzarmmi blade has an equal chance of being a sword (bastard, broad, long, short, two handed) or dagger (dagger, knife). The bonus is randomly determined like any magic sword (ignoring any result that indicates a cursed item). Typically, the hilt is red lacquered inlayed with white pearls and has an interesting design: the pommel is designed in such a way so that you can attach any one of the ioun stones as the pommel stone. This will give the wielder the effect of the stone without having to have it circle their head. An ioun stone attached to the blade in this manner does not count towards the individual’s five stone limit.

Also, the hilt is designed so that the user can slip on any single magic ring and have it grant the powers of that ring to the wielder even if they are already wearing a magic ring on each hand.

The blade otherwise is tarnish and corrosion poof and will grant the above powers whether or not the weapon is drawn.

I also have a Netherese lich who has an item that will hold up to 5 ioun stones so your listed weakness is eliminated.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2023 :  18:26:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall a limitation on the number of ioun stones someone can have... This must be something from 4E or 5E.

Pathfinder has a special compass used by members of the in-setting Pathfinder society. Off the top of my head, I don't recall the specifics, aside from them being designed to hold an ioun stone and allow its powers to still function.

I also seem to recall a magical item that I believe was in an issue of Dragon magazine, but I can't recall which one or what it was called. This item could have multiple magic rings put on it, and the wielder could then use some or all of the powers of those rings, even if they were already wearing two rings.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2023 :  19:21:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1E and 2E had no limit on active ioun stones. Aside from how many you might acquire. They were exceeding rare and precious.

The rules did give them -4 AC vs grabs or attacks targeting them. Quick, unpredictable, dodgy, slippery little things.

The rules did not say anything about area attacks (dispel magic, fireballs, fishing nets, etc) - but every DM I ever played with was of the opinion that intelligent opponents interested in stealing these stones would prefer these approaches. (Opponents could attempt to neutralize or damage the stones in combat but this just never happened - they would directly attack the owner instead. In practice, ioun stones only needed "defense" vs theft.)

I played in a game where one player used minor illusion magics to "decorate" himself with a flock of pretty ioun stones. He reserved spell slots for it every day and he called attention the illusory stones often - pretending to be a powerful and accomplished wizard - yet these illusory ioun stones were never disbelieved, never "stolen", and never attacked.

I imagine there must be spells specifically designed to capture or neutralize ioun stones. Maybe plain Telekinesis or even Unseen Servant would work.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2023 :  20:37:01  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't recall a limitation on the number of ioun stones someone can have... This must be something from 4E or 5E.

Pathfinder has a special compass used by members of the in-setting Pathfinder society. Off the top of my head, I don't recall the specifics, aside from them being designed to hold an ioun stone and allow its powers to still function.

I also seem to recall a magical item that I believe was in an issue of Dragon magazine, but I can't recall which one or what it was called. This item could have multiple magic rings put on it, and the wielder could then use some or all of the powers of those rings, even if they were already wearing two rings.

The limitation is assumed from the 1e DMG page 147. There it mentions that burned out stones will supply 10 PSPs per stone up to a limit of 50 points. If a psionicist's benefit is maxed at 5 stones, I took that as a general limit on the total number an individual could have. Otherwise, a player could technically have an unlimited number of them active at one time.

Yeah, that multiple ring item sounds familiar. I think it was a rod. I don't remember which edition it is from, though.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2023 :  20:53:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:

The limitation is assumed from the 1e DMG page 147. There it mentions that burned out stones will supply 10 PSPs per stone up to a limit of 50 points. If a psionicist's benefit is maxed at 5 stones, I took that as a general limit on the total number an individual could have. Otherwise, a player could technically have an unlimited number of them active at one time.

Yeah, that multiple ring item sounds familiar. I think it was a rod. I don't remember which edition it is from, though.

I do not see that as a limit of stones, at best it is a limit or inactive stones that benefit a psionic. Even that description appears to be discussing inactive stones and not active ones.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2023 :  21:07:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's been quite some time since I read it; I'm almost certain it was a 2E item. I definitely recall that it was in a print version of the magazine.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2023 :  21:24:34  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
I do not see that as a limit of stones, at best it is a limit or inactive stones that benefit a psionic. Even that description appears to be discussing inactive stones and not active ones.

I agree. The entry does not have an explicit limit on the number of active ioun stones one character can have at one time. However, as a DM and from a game balance perspective, would you want to have one character have a laundry list of benefits from a single type of magic item? Also, I find myself annoyed when even a fly is circling around in my field of vision. Image having 14 of them (the number of different ones listed in the 2e DMG), all about the size of a game die, continually zipping about your head.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2023 :  02:15:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So while I'm still certain I read about something similar in Dragon, I could have been thinking of Gaudle's Rod of Rings from pages 107-8 of Code of the Harpers. It's actually a pretty interesting item even without the ability to use multiple rings.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Feb 2023 02:15:27
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2023 :  15:40:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just a thought... anyone ever create a magical halo that you can install in a head slot? I mean like you put it in place, say a magic word, and then it's immaterial but visible (effectively like an illusion) until the person that placed it there makes it material again with a word. Would be an interesting way to give someone a magic item that other players would find problematic to take away after they kill them.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2023 :  18:37:05  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a guy that has a headband that he can make sink into his head so it is not seen. Some of the powers available no longer work when it is like that, but it does make it very difficult to remove.

Items made with the metal zardasik allow a user to store the item inside their bodies without causing any harm to the individual.

I have a magic tattoo that allows the wearer to store stuff like thieves' tools and the like. I have other items that are either stored as a tattoo on the individual or become a tattoo like mark on the skin for it to be active (the largest I have is a baldrick that fuses to the wearer's torso...it IS painful and causes 1 hp of damage every time it fuses/unfuses with the skin). That would make them very difficult to remove.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2023 :  19:02:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have a magic tattoo that allows the wearer to store stuff like thieves' tools and the like. I have other items that are either stored as a tattoo on the individual or become a tattoo like mark on the skin for it to be active (the largest I have is a baldrick that fuses to the wearer's torso...it IS painful and causes 1 hp of damage every time it fuses/unfuses with the skin). That would make them very difficult to remove.

One of my ideas for a tattoo was to have one that would function like a wand. It prolly wouldn't be a bad idea to put some sort of limitation on it, but otherwise, it functions like a wand.

There's also a book I got from a Kickstarter -- Tome of Mystical Tattoos. I didn't care for the designs of the tattoos themselves, but the functionality of them was pretty nifty.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2023 :  20:02:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, as I wrote up the idea for the halo, I was thinking about the 5e implementation of tattoos as well. There's also things like the "sash of spells" that I was thinking of from a "look" perspective. But, I'm kind of surprised there's been no halo type effect (or a floating crown that's illusory, etc..).

I was not thinking about Zardasik (or metals bonded with Zardasik) though... I do recall it from VGtatM. You know, I only thought of that with weapons previously... but what if you had a magic weapon that could release effects similar to a wand, etc.... Might have to put gems into such a weapon though, so then the Zardasik becomes useless (just thinking from DM's standpoint that might be a good answer to prevent player abuse).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 07 Feb 2023 20:45:53
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2023 :  01:23:52  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes the Rings of Yrix Alquinnar turned out to be the correct ones. Thanks!

Were there any other examples of series magic ever released?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2023 :  01:53:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Yes the Rings of Yrix Alquinnar turned out to be the correct ones. Thanks!

Were there any other examples of series magic ever released?

The same article that gave us those rings also gave us the Blades of Ochir Naal, Tiamat’s prophet.

The article was called -- appropriately enough -- "Series Magic" and it was in Dragon 213. The article was penned by Steven Schend.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2023 :  06:34:55  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I have the issue. I was hoping there might have been other 'official' material on the subject.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2023 :  16:14:41  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They are small and moving. AC -4 in AD&D2 stats.
But yes, some variants with active defenses would be cool.
quote:

In those Phlan novels weren't Ren's daggers enhanced by sticking an ioun stones in their hilts?
Not as "out of it" as it seems.
Considering that most ioun stones made on Faerun probably come from either
A: Netheril itself,
B: Netheril successor states or
C: Sshamath (after they looted the old Netherese stashes and began to reverse-engineer everything).
Netheril used to run on quasimagic (and so did the drow). Thus these groups are a subset of "the traditions most likely to experiment with secondary power sources". Conversely, all but one (the drow still using faerzess) major groups certainly or probably having knowledge of quasimagic techniques are also the groups certainly or probably producing Netherese items such as ioun stones.
Thus, it's a reasonably likely choice for such experiments.
Odd prototypes that weren't complete failures may well pop up everywhere, even if not deemed good enough to make more.

quote:

Hand of Glory in d20. Also, IIRC Kiaransalee invented some item that does this and gave her priestesses the know-how?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 15 Feb 2023 16:45:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000