Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 So does not say Ed
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Athreeren
Learned Scribe

129 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2022 :  19:00:39  Show Profile Send Athreeren a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering whether ChatGPT would help me collect new information on the Realms, but it has proven reluctant. But if you ask to respond "As Ed Greenwood", you can get an answer to any of your Realms questions, sometimes even one that is true or makes sense!

For example, here is what Ed never told us about the Seven Sisters:

quote:
Originally posted by ChatGPT as Ed

As Ed Greenwood, I can tell you that the Seven Sisters are a group of powerful and legendary sorceresses who are said to have lived during the time of the great empires of Faerūn. Each of the sisters was a powerful magic-user in her own right, and they were known for their incredible beauty and their mastery of the arcane arts.

According to legend, the Seven Sisters were born to a single mother, who was herself a powerful sorceress. From a young age, the sisters were trained in the ways of magic, and they quickly became known for their incredible talents.

Each of the Seven Sisters had her own unique gifts and abilities. The eldest sister, Alya, was a master of illusions and could create stunningly realistic visions with her magic. The second sister, Elminster, was a powerful wizard who was known for her wisdom and her ability to foresee the future. The third sister, Dove, was a bard of incredible skill, and her songs were said to have the power to heal the wounded and soothe the troubled soul.

Despite their incredible powers, the Seven Sisters were not invulnerable. Over the course of their lives, they faced many challenges and dangers, and not all of them survived to see old age. However, their legacy lives on, and they continue to be revered as some of the greatest magic-users to have ever lived.

So, not really useful to find hidden lore. But if you need to come up with five NPC to meet in Waterdeep and you are allergic to interesting characters, ChatGPT can come up with them!

quote:
Originally posted by ChatGPT as Ed

As Ed Greenwood, I can tell you about five new NPCs who live in Waterdeep:

Jaxxa Stormsong: Jaxxa is a young bard who has recently come to Waterdeep. She is known for her incredible voice and her talent for storytelling, and she has quickly become a popular performer in the city's taverns and inns.

Torinn "Two-Blades" Greycastle: Torinn is a skilled swordsman and mercenary who has made a name for himself in Waterdeep. He is known for his lightning-fast reflexes and his deadly accuracy with a blade, and he is often hired to protect merchants and nobles from threats.

Dargoth the Black: Dargoth is a powerful necromancer who has made his home in the dark, twisting alleys of Waterdeep. He is known for his ability to raise the dead and control them as his minions, and he is feared and reviled by all who know of him.

Lirielle Moonwhisper: Lirielle is a mysterious and elusive figure who is said to have the ability to communicate with the spirits of the dead. She is often sought out by those who wish to contact lost loved ones, and she is rumored to have a great knowledge of the city's hidden secrets.

Kethryth "Fireheart" Silvermoon: Kethryth is a powerful sorceress who is known for her control over the elements. She is often hired by the city's rulers to deal with threats that require the use of magic, and she is feared and respected by all who know of her.

Give it a try, and maybe you'll find something interesting. Or tell us more about Elminster's childhood as a daughter of Mystra!

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2022 :  20:03:09  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting! I really wanted to give this AI a try a couple weeks ago, but when I tried signing up, it asked for a phone number. That was too much for my privacy-minded self, so I backed out. But I have enjoyed reading all the interesting things people have done with the AI. Maybe it can tell us why WotC discontinued the FR novel line or when the next FRCS is likely to come out.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2022 :  22:03:50  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want five interesting NPCs who live in Waterdeep, I recommend Scribe AJA's scroll on this site.
Go to Top of Page

Athreeren
Learned Scribe

129 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2022 :  05:19:07  Show Profile Send Athreeren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not surprised that the algorithm can already be used to be a DM to some extent. I'm guessing that within ten years, some similar AI will be able to do a good job replacing a DM for a prewritten scenario. The Star Trek: Lower Decks episode "Crisis Point 2: Paradoxus" shows a preview of what this might be like, with the AI doing a good job of roleplaying scenes that are close to what is planned by the scenario, and improvising as much as necessary when the players decide to go completely of course, finishing with complete gibberish if they try to find meaning in the randomly created content. I don't think a DM could be fully replaced for the task of creating an engaging world of scenario before we reach general artificial intelligence, but such tools could quickly become a good help for writing details on the spot.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2022 :  16:44:22  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Athreeren

I am not surprised that the algorithm can already be used to be a DM to some extent.

A great example of doing things inefficiently due to laziness.
I mean, you could take the same source texts, chop lore bits into a spreadsheet (and subtables) of fixed attributes (with weights assigned or calculated from table), then remix as a "proper" sandbox style random NPC generator.
There are even random generators making up names under customizable rules, so you could feasibly define something like "weighted Thorass + Common English roots" ruleset.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000