Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 D%D 5th books have me stuck in Middle Ages
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2022 :  16:30:36  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Since I've got D&D 5th RPG books, mots from my Birthday. Now my problem is that for a homebrew world I'm stuck on Middle Age setting, but I nwat to due Tudor Age D&D how do I explain some races from player's guide Dragonborn, Tieflings, and Half Orc, and don't forget the multiverse playable Races as well.

So what can I do?.

LW

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2022 :  17:16:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not enough information. The various ancestries aren't tied to a specific timeframe -- they're dependent on the world itself and its history.

So simply knowing a rough timeframe doesn't give us much of anything to work with.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2022 :  09:42:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LWhitehead1

Since I've got D&D 5th RPG books, mots from my Birthday. Now my problem is that for a homebrew world I'm stuck on Middle Age setting, but I nwat to due Tudor Age D&D how do I explain some races from player's guide Dragonborn, Tieflings, and Half Orc, and don't forget the multiverse playable Races as well.

So what can I do?.

LW

What do you mean by Tudor Period? The Tudors are just the Middle Ages with gunpowder, firearms and cannons. Can't see why that presents a problem.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 09 Nov 2022 09:43:25
Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2022 :  04:13:43  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well know I've got all of the 5th D&D sourcebooks, I've read them including Spelljamer set, but I read through these books and still the magic, magic objects, weapons and characters are in the middle ages there is no Mighty Fortress source book for 5th D&d there is no 19th century source book ether.

The best I can do is use War of the Roses as inperation for world setting a 15th century D&D world, you can blame A song of Ice and fire for this idea.

LW

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2022 :  22:57:52  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why confine yourself to 5th edition D&D official rules if they do not provide what you want. Please consider another gaming system. After all, Forgotten Realms existed before Dungeons & Dragons.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2022 :  00:35:08  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The DMG has rules for firearms and primitive bombs. Most of the rest is requires less crunch/rules and more fluff/description. That said, Eberron, may be more to your liking as it has a stronger tech element. Similarly, Monte Cooke's Ptolus does as well, which was recently converted to 5E (though I have the 3e version, not the 5E version). Finally, you could probably find something on DM's Guild with a little searching.
Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2022 :  18:34:13  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like 5th version of D&D hopefully one day I get to play it so I can DM it very well, Eberron might be my cup of tea, I'm still trying to figure out which Human Gods and Goddess exist in the official Multiverse.

Were in the DMG is the rules for Firearms and primitive bombs,

Is all space travel on D&D 5th version is done in Wild space?, what about normal space travel?.

LW
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2022 :  18:45:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like 5th version of D&D hopefully one day I get to play it so I can DM it very well, Eberron might be my cup of tea, I'm still trying to figure out which Human Gods and Goddess exist in the official Multiverse.

Were in the DMG is the rules for Firearms and primitive bombs,

Is all space travel on D&D 5th version is done in Wild space?, what about normal space travel?.

LW

There's no official set of multiversal deities. Each setting has its own deities, who may or may not exist in other settings.

5E space travel is wildspace or the Astral (wildspace replaces space as we know it).

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2022 :  12:46:09  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well know I've got all of the 5th D&D sourcebooks, I've read them including Spelljamer set, but I read through these books and still the magic, magic objects, weapons and characters are in the middle ages there is no Mighty Fortress source book for 5th D&d there is no 19th century source book ether.

The best I can do is use War of the Roses as inperation for world setting a 15th century D&D world, you can blame A song of Ice and fire for this idea.

LW

I HIGHLY recommend Strongholds and Followers by MCDC Productions. It's a great 5e sourcebook for running what you're looking for and has great insight about maintaining castle's, recruitment of followers, medieval aspects regarding both, etc.

They also make a product called Kingdoms and Warfare, but I haven't seen the content in that one.

As for handling non-human races, one idea is to make them extremely rare, almost a myth but also make the wilds very dangerous as to keep humanity close to small pockets of civilization.

Edited by - Diffan on 25 Nov 2022 12:46:48
Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2022 :  21:02:45  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes but some of the deities mention in the core set seems to travel through the multiverse, the head Demon seems to do this one who's name starts with an A.

MCDC Productions don't seem to have hardcover version of there products, which I need.

LW
Go to Top of Page

Karthak
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2023 :  11:45:41  Show Profile Send Karthak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's Asmodeus, he's the head devil and he plays by different rules than the majority of the gods mentioned in the core books, as he's not bound to any single planet and doesn't rely on believers to keep himself alive. If you're making a homebrew world, don't worry about the multiverse, put whichever gods make sense for your world and change them if necessary, for example an elven god becomes one of the dragonborn's gods if the god suits that role.

I found hardcover copies of the MCDM books for sale through their website.

https://shop.mcdmproductions.com/collections/kingdoms-warfare/products/kingdoms-warfare-hardcover-book
https://shop.mcdmproductions.com/collections/strongholds-followers-books/products/strongholds-followers-hardcover
Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2023 :  00:10:41  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok that's fine US pricing though, which means for me double in Canadian.

LW
Go to Top of Page

Karthak
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2023 :  02:52:19  Show Profile Send Karthak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can change the currency on their site at least sometimes, seems like it's $69 canadian atm, but probably doesn't include shipping. I'd hate to see what the price is in Australian dollars.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2023 :  03:18:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

ok that's fine US pricing though, which means for me double in Canadian.

LW

Or not; a quick Google search shows that 50 US dollars is a little over 67 Canadian dollars. Not exactly double.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000