Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 D&D Movie Merch - Toys!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2022 :  02:06:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So the D&D movies is of course going to have all sorts of merchandising tie-ins, including toys...

And I just saw these. They have immediately been entered into the list of "Things I've never seen before or even contemplated, but WANT!!!"

Dicelings -- over-sized D20s that transform into monsters.

Red Dragon Themberchaud

Black Dragon Rakor

White Owlbear

Beholder

I'm not so keen on the owlbear or beholder, but I want those dragons!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2022 :  02:09:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also D&D Monopoly, foam weapons, figures from the movie, and a big black dragon figure, which I'm not excited about because I'm sure it'll be priced higher than what I want to spend.

More merch (thread on ENWorld)

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Nov 2022 02:10:46
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2022 :  07:38:16  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is indeed a sad attempt at a beholder.

The sort of generic and misshapen representation I might expect to find as the toy in a box of cereal or a McHappy meal.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2022 :  15:46:00  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This made me laugh so hard, I almost passed out. 1,200 bucks! Just how many of these are they expecting to sell?

https://www.amazon.com/WizKids-Dungeons-Dragons-Full-Sized-Drizzt/dp/B094K3S3FZ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2022 :  17:07:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

This made me laugh so hard, I almost passed out. 1,200 bucks! Just how many of these are they expecting to sell?

https://www.amazon.com/WizKids-Dungeons-Dragons-Full-Sized-Drizzt/dp/B094K3S3FZ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I saw one of those -- or something very similar -- at Coliseum of Comics, in Kissimmee.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2022 :  09:03:57  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obese Red Dragon?

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2022 :  22:14:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wait... these are DICE that are Transformers into D&D monsters? It took me a moment when I looked at the owlbear and thought "it's wings looks stupid".... but the fact that he changes into a D20... While I agree, they aren't the greatest looking monsters.... I want them just so I can turn it into a dice and roll it. Sure, is it unbalanced? Probably... don't care...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2022 :  23:07:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

I could see this being very unique for a store. Granted, its foam. I still remember the video game store that had a life sized viking looking guy from I think the elder scrolls.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2022 :  05:29:42  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking it up, mannequins typically cost a few hundred bucks. Though they are of course made with varying styles, qualities, materials, workmanship, so a "life-like" mannequin could cost $1200 or more. Especially if it was meant to resemble the specific features of a specific individual. And you don't make elven faces out of human molds, there'd have to be some customization.

And then of course there is the Drizzt costume, along with whatever props and accessories are included.

And the shipping costs? The packaging? Do they knock him apart or does an Amazon truck deliver a Drizzt-sized coffin to your doorstep?
Descriptors do say "Height Stands 5 foots 7 inches" and "No Assembly Required". A Drizzt-sized coffin would be a fine accessory, in my opinion.

I don't think the price is terribly unreasonable in this context. But it is such a weird niche item that I can't imagine many buyers wanting one. Maybe stores, museums, restaurants, places where such a decoration might attract customers. As much as you might love Drizzt, you likely aren't going to want his replica standing in your home, taking up space, collecting dust, his foam swords poking anyone who walks by - and you aren't going to spend $1200 on a toy you can only pose in your garage or attic.

Most people with a passion for replica costumes will make their own. Or will approach carefully selected makers with private commissions.
It seems like they'd sell more of these things by advertising to cosplayers than to mannequin collectors. I suppose online auctions are just free advertising, intended to display the item and announce it's availability, not intended to actually sell it.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 08 Nov 2022 05:55:28
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2022 :  09:39:50  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

wait... these are DICE that are Transformers into D&D monsters? It took me a moment when I looked at the owlbear and thought "it's wings looks stupid".... but the fact that he changes into a D20... While I agree, they aren't the greatest looking monsters.... I want them just so I can turn it into a dice and roll it. Sure, is it unbalanced? Probably... don't care...

The DM yells in a Peter Cullen voice, "Transform and roll out!"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2023 :  14:37:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So the D&D movies is of course going to have all sorts of merchandising tie-ins, including toys...

And I just saw these. They have immediately been entered into the list of "Things I've never seen before or even contemplated, but WANT!!!"

Dicelings -- over-sized D20s that transform into monsters.

Red Dragon Themberchaud

Black Dragon Rakor

White Owlbear

Beholder

I'm not so keen on the owlbear or beholder, but I want those dragons!

These are available now. One of the people in my gaming group saw the Owlbear in a local store. Amazon doesn't have all of them available; the red dragon was listed as available, but it would take a month to get here -- so I found the HasbroPulse website and bought from them for the same price, and I'll have the dragon Dicelings next week.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2023 :  17:08:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just because I saw this thread.... I was at my walmart after Christmas and noted that they had "Dungeons and Dragons" wrapping paper which seemed to be related to this movie. It was all 75% off, so I picked up every roll I saw (think 3).

googling it... this guy found the same stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEi-HLl-F6E

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 27 Jan 2023 17:11:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page