Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New 2 FR novels coming in 2023 (prequel novels)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2022 :  14:18:02  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One is Druid's Call by E.K. Johnson and the other is Road to Neverwinter by Jaleigh Johnson, who wrote FR novels like the Broken Chain novels (which were great novels about the Shadar Kai).

Mod edit: Tweaking the subject line just a bit and moving this to the Novels section.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Oct 2022 22:33:23

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2022 :  14:50:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just because I was curious and hunted these down... links

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Honor-Thieves-Prequel/dp/059359813X

Description: Every adventuring party has a starting quest. Join Edgin Darvis and his team of heroic (well, occasionally heroic) heisters in this official prequel to the film Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves.

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Honor-Thieves-Druids/dp/0593598164/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3L8WHNJEKHJI1&keywords=druid%27s call&qid=1664977605&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjM1IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&s=books&sprefix=druid%27s call%2Cstripbooks%2C272&sr=1-1

Description: Discover Doric’s powerful druid origins in this thrilling young adult prequel to the film Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2022 :  17:23:18  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you think this could signal a rebirth of the novel line that was so strong not too long ago?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2022 :  18:11:48  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Do you think this could signal a rebirth of the novel line that was so strong not too long ago?

As these appear to be part of the movie deal, it should not indicate WotC returning to a novel increase policy.

Should they sell very well, that might change policy. Time will of course tell, unless WotC announces something official.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 05 Oct 2022 18:12:11
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2022 :  22:26:14  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find it a little bit concerning that there's no FR logo on it, while based on info on the movies and the details of the books, it's clearly set in the Realms. It makes me think WotC is just going to deliberately treat the Realms as a generic fantasy sandbox and outright ignore it's established lore.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2022 :  22:29:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

It makes me think WotC is just going to deliberately treat the Realms as a generic fantasy sandbox and outright ignore it's established lore.

And this is different from the last several years in what way?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2022 :  09:16:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

No.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2022 :  18:57:45  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anything, we might see more movie-based novels. But I don't think these books are targeted at existing FR fans, nor will FR fans find them particularly satisfying. They're for fans of the movie.
Go to Top of Page

Erikor
Seeker

Norway
60 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2022 :  22:41:17  Show Profile Send Erikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're both prequels to a movie. That's like when Marvel's putting out prequel comics before a movie..
But if enough people buy them and enough people watch the movie and it makes enough money then maybe they will put out more books.

I am a bit excited by one being written by Jaleigh Johnson though. I liked her other books.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2022 :  18:48:55  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least this is a much-needed break from the Lord Ginsu novels.
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2022 :  02:06:58  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another prequel announced, this time a comic book: https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/dungeons-dragons-movie-prequel-comic-idw/?fbclid=IwAR2c-IjcDe5gTBR7doQAR1u0z3G9kavV_ZjVt3nBwLKujPgKIeOnHoaHhHs
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2022 :  14:05:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it's sad to me that I just can't get excited about this. I hope that the movie is good. I can say they are putting an effort into building up hype.

SIDENOTE: Snowy, it makes me smile to see another kercpa avatar in use.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 28 Oct 2022 14:06:13
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2022 :  16:51:10  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
SIDENOTE: Snowy, it makes me smile to see another kercpa avatar in use.

I'm glad! You were actually the one who inspired me to look for one.
Go to Top of Page

Shardnax
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2022 :  17:23:25  Show Profile Send Shardnax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
As these appear to be part of the movie deal, it should not indicate WotC returning to a novel increase policy.

Should they sell very well, that might change policy. Time will of course tell, unless WotC announces something official.

Probably the deciding factor. WotC hasn't seemed interested in doing much with D&D for several years now. If they announce more novels I'll probably look them over. I don't expect much since I'm disinterested in much of the WotC era novels.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2022 :  23:36:32  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't call them FR novels so much as D&D novels. Sure, the movie is technicall (or at least supposedly) set in Faerun, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them FR, at least at this point.

That said, I agree the Unbroken Chain novels were fantastic (wish there had been more), and if there are D&D novels, perhaps that will signal a return of FR-specific novels (though whether they pay any attention to lore or not remains to be seen).

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Silverizer
Acolyte

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2023 :  18:00:48  Show Profile  Visit Silverizer's Homepage Send Silverizer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I am exited to see any new novels release in the Forgotten Realms.

With all the negativity going on in the D&D community over the proposed 1.1 OGL; the timing of this announcement is good.

These new novels maybe a positive aspect in the change in attitude that WOTC has towards D&D.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2023 :  20:48:02  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read an excerpt of Jaleigh ‘s novel and it feels realms to me. Can’t wait to buy it the 28th. I’ll be sure to share thoughts here

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2023 :  13:15:13  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I wouldn't call them FR novels so much as D&D novels. Sure, the movie is technicall (or at least supposedly) set in Faerun, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them FR, at least at this point.

That said, I agree the Unbroken Chain novels were fantastic (wish there had been more), and if there are D&D novels, perhaps that will signal a return of FR-specific novels (though whether they pay any attention to lore or not remains to be seen).

I read new novels, they are definately Forgotten Realms novels, chalked full of FR lore, so they don't feel like generic D&D.

Already love the characters. Would recommend.

Edited by - Gyor on 02 Mar 2023 13:16:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000