Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Planescape returns!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2022 :  04:01:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
D&D is reviving Planescape with a three-volume boxed set, coming in 2023

So apparently it's been announced that Planescape will be coming back.

I gotta say, though, this line does not make me hopeful: "The beloved setting, first published in 1994, will be getting the same treatment Wizards of the Coast provided with Spelljammer: Adventures in Space: a three-book slipcase including a setting guide, bestiary, and adventure campaign." I have the Spelljammer set. I saw the "treatment" they gave it -- and it barely rose to the level of being underwhelming. If they try to cram everything Planescape into a single 64-page book like they did with Spelljammer, it's going to be Planescape Junior, not Planescape 2.0.

I could be wrong, though; they could break their current pattern and put some real work into it and wow me. It's possible.

I have to wonder about the planar structure, though... Planescape was built on the Great Wheel -- and they unceremoniously threw that out when 3E came out. If they keep the Great Wheel, it begs the question of how the Realms's planar structure fits into that. They could retcon their retcon, but I think they're more likely to either chuck the Great Wheel entirely, or keep it and simply not mention the Realms at all.

Among the other things mentioned in that article, we have this: "In summer 2023, D&D will be publishing a yet unnamed Phandelver campaign which will expand on the Lost Mine of Phandelver mini-campaign found in the 5th edition Starter Set. The book will add a touch of cosmic horror to the fan-favorite adventure."

I can tell already I'm going to hate this. I don't like cosmic horror. I don't like regular horror. I don't feel either belongs in D&D in general, or in the Realms in particular.

Maybe they should just take the plunge and create a setting where cosmic horror is built in from the beginning, rather than keep trying to change other settings by cramming in another genre entirely.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2022 :  05:08:37  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to agree re: horror and D&D. You can't have horror if you can fight it. As soon as a person feels like they can do something, even though the fear may remain, the feeling of horror disappears, because that's how humans are wired. Most of the horror comes from the thing being impossible to understand and quite inescapable. At least for most part of the story. Meanwhile, in D&D "if it has stats, you can kill it". Maybe it'll be a hard fight, but not really different from any other fight against a foe that isn't a joke.

With that said, moving onto Planescape, I used to enjoy the setting, so I'll wait and see what they come up with. But I'm keeping expectation super low as to not get disappointed.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 21 Aug 2022 05:27:55
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2022 :  13:55:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If they try to cram everything Planescape into a single 64-page book like they did with Spelljammer, it's going to be Planescape Junior, not Planescape 2.0.

I could be wrong, though; they could break their current pattern and put some real work into it and wow me. It's possible.

Your optimism exceeds mine.

I expect it'll be an uncreative, oversimplified, unsophisticated revision. For children.

It might be a decent foundation for future products which add depth and detail. Wouldn't that be nice?

But I think it's far more likely to be a one-shot moneygrab on famous old branding - especially since it's being hyped and marketed right on the tail of WotC's thoroughly unimpressive new Spelljammer offering. They haven't had enough time to observe any substantial reaction or feedback, let alone enough time to revise and improve any poorly-received deficiencies before pushing forward - so it's already obvious what kind of mediocre trash it's going to be.

I'm a diehard Planescape fan but I refuse to fall into the trap of buying this piece of vandalism. It seems more likely to evoke anger and disappointment than to provide information and entertainment.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 21 Aug 2022 14:03:18
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2022 :  16:10:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
If they try to cram everything Planescape into a single 64-page book like they did with Spelljammer, it's going to be Planescape Junior, not Planescape 2.0.

Your optimism exceeds mine.

I expect it'll be an uncreative, oversimplified, unsophisticated revision. For children.

It might be a decent foundation for future products which add depth and detail. Wouldn't that be nice?

But I think it's far more likely to be a one-shot moneygrab on famous old branding - especially since it's being hyped and marketed right on the tail of WotC's thoroughly unimpressive new Spelljammer offering. They haven't had enough time to observe any substantial reaction or feedback, let alone enough time to revise and improve any poorly-received deficiencies before pushing forward - so it's already obvious what kind of mediocre trash it's going to be.

I'm a diehard Planescape fan but I refuse to fall into the trap of buying this piece of vandalism. It seems more likely to evoke anger and disappointment than to provide information and entertainment.

I said it was possible. I didn't say it was likely, or that I felt it was even a reasonable possibility.

My expectations match yours, but I am willing to allow for the possibility of them doing something good. I'm not expecting it, and in fact, I'm not likely to buy this Planescape thing unless it's at a far better discount than I got from Amazon for the Spelljammer set.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2022 :  15:10:19  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't want to end up like Don Corleone ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sIYe74sczE ) so I will not touch this until I have definite proof they did the setting some right. Been burned too many times already.

Any rumors on who is actually getting involved in the writing?
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2022 :  22:28:00  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the Lady of Pain allows deities into Sigil, count me out on being a Planescape customer.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2022 :  02:28:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

If the Lady of Pain allows deities into Sigil, count me out on being a Planescape customer.
Deities, Powers, arch-celestials, arch-fiends have trespassed (directly manifested or invested their faiths, holy/unholy powers, etc) into Sigil before.

The Lady of Pain is typically unforgiving of such intrusions - she is fiercely territorial, she tends to punish offenders quickly and decisively. But some intruders have been successful - perhaps skilled, perhaps lucky, perhaps beneath the Lady's regard, perhaps tolerated by her as entertainments - their trespasses into Sigil apparently went unnoticed and certainly went unhindered.

It seems like she doesn't act when there's uncertainty or plausible deniability of sorts.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 23 Aug 2022 02:33:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000