Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Cleric Domains from various products & FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Outlaw Pope
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2022 :  01:46:34  Show Profile Send Outlaw Pope a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So this might be a bit of a weird question and dated. I am trying to find the book sources that wikis oft record but never seem to reference - particularly for 3.xe DnD.

for example:

The core 3e book, Faiths & Pantheons will list Gargauth as having:

Charm, Evil, Law, Trickery

But several places, like the FR wiki, or Realmshelps will list him as having:

Avarice, Charm, Corruption, Envy, Evil, Law, Pride,
Sloth, Trickery

I know these comes from various other supplements but not everything is usually attributed and I am wanting to find out what is "actual" and what is more fan speculation or whatever for my own purposes.

Anyone have any hints or ideas where I can figure out the bulk of FR deities, and what supplemental domains apply / do not?

(For example why is Cyric, the Mad God, not listed as receiving the Madness Domain anywhere online?)

Cheers fellow scholars.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2022 :  02:08:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Outlaw Pope

So this might be a bit of a weird question and dated. I am trying to find the book sources that wikis oft record but never seem to reference - particularly for 3.xe DnD.

for example:

The core 3e book, Faiths & Pantheons will list Gargauth as having:

Charm, Evil, Law, Trickery

But several places, like the FR wiki, or Realmshelps will list him as having:

Avarice, Charm, Corruption, Envy, Evil, Law, Pride,
Sloth, Trickery

I know these comes from various other supplements but not everything is usually attributed and I am wanting to find out what is "actual" and what is more fan speculation or whatever for my own purposes.

Anyone have any hints or ideas where I can figure out the bulk of FR deities, and what supplemental domains apply / do not?

The problem with online sources is that sometimes mistakes are made, or someone puts out their own version of things, and doesn't make it clear that it's not canon.

When in doubt, always go with official, published material -- assuming you want to stick to canon.

quote:

(For example why is Cyric, the Mad God, not listed as receiving the Madness Domain anywhere online?)

Because it's a nickname. He's not the god of madness, he's a god who is mad.

Kinda like how Torm the True isn't the god of truth.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Outlaw Pope
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2022 :  11:35:24  Show Profile Send Outlaw Pope a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply.

As to the canon, I am digging through stuff but the only source so far after the F&P is the Players Handbook for FR and it shows some stuff off but a lot of other stuff is not sourced. I am curious as to how much is arse-pull and how much is canon. Do you think some of this stuff comes from period Dragon Mags?

I might have had a breakthrough because one article I found sourced to specific dragon and other supplement tomes.

---

As to Cyric and the Mad God. That's a fair enough interpretation as it isn't in his portfolios and was stricken mad by his own schemes. He does however use madmen as vessels in the novels but those are basically the Hollywood of products, lol.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2022 :  13:10:10  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is my go-to list of 3.5e clerical domains, including sources: https://archive.burne99.com/archive/4/pdf/DnD3.5Index-Spells-ClericalDomains.pdf

It's part of a larger set of files found here: https://archive.burne99.com/archive/4/

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2022 :  19:16:23  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To add to Eric's post, the wiki sources the domains. Domains were sometimes added as they were created. This happened in Dragon magazine for example, where they sometimes added domains from other hardcover books or sometimes from magazine articles. I suggest going to the source in the wiki articles. The core domains were all established in the #E FRCS and updated in Faiths and Pantheons and Player's Guide to Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Outlaw Pope
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2022 :  07:31:02  Show Profile Send Outlaw Pope a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks again!

[and thank you both for your work over the years. :)]

Would you happen to know of any places that make attempts at 3.x-ing additional deities like the extra Seldarine members such as Naralis Analor, Maztican pantheon, or the Kara-Tur/Hordelands beliefs, and Zakharan faiths?

Edited by - Outlaw Pope on 02 Aug 2022 07:42:37
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2022 :  16:52:43  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aside from the 3E OA, which was not faith specific (ditto with KAra Tur update in Dragon 315), I think there's some fan stuff on the web, but nothing official.
Go to Top of Page

Outlaw Pope
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2022 :  23:47:30  Show Profile Send Outlaw Pope a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks again. A shame there isn't really anything out there but I suppose I can manage where-ever or eyeball the Aztec pantheon in some tomes.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2022 :  00:05:10  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks again. A shame there isn't really anything out there but I suppose I can manage where-ever or eyeball the Aztec pantheon in some tomes.

By Aztec pantheon, do you mean Maztican or is this core D&D from whatever edition?
Go to Top of Page

Outlaw Pope
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2022 :  06:34:07  Show Profile Send Outlaw Pope a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mean the core Aztec pantheon which obviously Maztican stuff is inspired by. But if someone else has done a conversion I'd like to see!
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2022 :  17:53:52  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Aztec (not Maztica) pantheon got updated to 3E in a series of 4 Dragon articles in the short Class Acts articles toward the back of the magazine.
Go to Top of Page

Outlaw Pope
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2022 :  16:23:37  Show Profile Send Outlaw Pope a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, what Tom said. I think its Dragon #283.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000