Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Has Anyone Made ToM Truenamer Functional?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2022 :  11:23:57  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Scribes,
As much as I like the intended flavor of the 3.5 truenamer, my players and I avoid the class like we would avoid a gulguthra that ingested too much rancid castor oil. Has anyone in Candlekeep succeeded in making the truenamer work in any campaign, FR or not?

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11689 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2022 :  18:57:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never actually made it viable, but one thing was that it was dependent on skill checks and you could in theory just build up the skill with numerous magic items of different bonus types for that skill. A FIX ... MIGHT... be to make it use the mechanics of a skill check, but not actually be a SKILL. Make it be a "truenamer check" or something similar. Just a thought, and I never delved it deeply. Might work.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2022 :  05:18:30  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Never used it, but yeah, something more similar to a 4e ritual probably increases the utility of it in-game. Fine as a concept, but mechanics were not uhhh great.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2022 :  17:59:55  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll take a stab at salvaging the truenamer class, but I am reminded of an amusing Giants in The Playground thread titled "In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was 'Suck'."
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2022 :  11:34:46  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's this third party PF version: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/strange-magic/classes/truenamer/
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2022 :  19:14:19  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the PF link, LoB. The players are fluent in Pathfinder. I'll ask them if they will be OK with a test session to see how this revised build operates. If it ends up a failure, the PC's won't suffer.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2022 :  16:02:02  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are we talking Functional in mechanics sense or lore wise?

I found over at the RPGStackExchange someone had a link for the Truenamer class redone by people over at Giant in the Playground. Might be worth a look.

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/58517/what-tier-is-the-way-words-works-version-of-the-truenamer-in

Edited by - Diffan on 11 Jul 2022 16:10:40
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2022 :  23:17:01  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Are we talking Functional in mechanics sense or lore wise?

I found over at the RPGStackExchange someone had a link for the Truenamer class redone by people over at Giant in the Playground. Might be worth a look.

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/58517/what-tier-is-the-way-words-works-version-of-the-truenamer-in

Diffan.
Thanks for the link. The problem is mechanics. Flavor was always top tier. I do not know enough about lore in FR. My guess is that congregate over concentrated populations of knowledge workers.
Therefore, I speculate a plurality of truenamers became residents of Candlekeep.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000