Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Red Magic not available on Kindle
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erikor
Seeker

Norway
60 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2022 :  06:09:44  Show Profile Send Erikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I thought I would try to finish The Harpers series but book 3, Red Magic, is unavailable on Kindle.
I finished The Parched Sea a few days ago and just started on The Night Parade.
I've already read Elfshadow and everything else by Elaine Cunningham.
I know it'a all stand alone novels but some events and characters are mentioned in other books.
Am i going to miss something by not being able to read Red Magic?

Edited by - Erikor on 09 Apr 2022 06:10:26

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2022 :  06:13:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a pretty self-contained novel. Szass Tam features peripherally and the protagonists are "one-shotters" (they never featured in anything of substance again). No rush to read.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Erikor
Seeker

Norway
60 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2022 :  06:18:58  Show Profile Send Erikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Then I'll just keep on reading :) '
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2022 :  16:20:27  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you really want to read it and don't mind having a physical copy, you can get it from Half-Priced Books: https://hpb.com/products/red-magic-9781560761181

Edit: Just noticed your location is Norway. Not sure if HPB ships to there and if it would be worth the expense. You could always check a local used book store.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 09 Apr 2022 16:22:23
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2022 :  23:03:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What George said. I read it and the plot was so forgettable that I can't even remember it. It features the roguish daughter from the Sembian series in Thay, and at one point shows each of the "big names" from the region, but..... totally spacing on what happened.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2022 :  23:31:27  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This book is available from many vendors in many formats. Even on Amazon, even in non-Kindle formats which Amazon claims can be read on a Kindle device.

Wizbro has gone through many different ideas about how to publish their novels over the years. Some are only available in printed copy, others only as ebooks in this or that format for this or that reading device, a few even restricted to their ever-evolving online subscription models. And some are no longer available at all - their licenses (or whatever) have expired or been withdrawn - unless you buy them aftermarket. If you're a collector then you'll simply have to accept that a complete library will span multiple formats and devices.

It wasn't a particularly good, memorable book. Nor a terribly bad, forgettable book. It was entertaining enough and it provided a lot of essential lore about Thay back in the 2E era. But Thay has changed a lot (many times) over subsequent editions, if you prefer one of these settings for your Thay stories then you might not find the information in this novel very interesting, useful, or relevant.

The events in this book had little effect outside this book. The villain was thwarted, the heroes moved on, the rest of Thay and the Harpers were hardly mentioned. To me the most interesting aspects of the novel were a few unique (and niche-purpose) spells for which game rules were published in other sources. (Along with a briefly controversial interpretation of how potions of longevity take effect, though that's unimportant.)

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 09 Apr 2022 23:47:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2022 :  23:46:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

What George said. I read it and the plot was so forgettable that I can't even remember it. It features the roguish daughter from the Sembian series in Thay, and at one point shows each of the "big names" from the region, but..... totally spacing on what happened.

I don't recall her being in there, but I do seem to recall that the main characters also included a druid and a centaur.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2022 :  19:23:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I don't recall her being in there, but I do seem to recall that the main characters also included a druid and a centaur.

Oh wait.... this is the ORIGINAL one... With the zulkir of transmutation? Was thinking the one during 3e era (maybe it was crimson gold or something similar)? If this is that original one, actually I would say its worth a read.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Erikor
Seeker

Norway
60 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2022 :  00:49:02  Show Profile Send Erikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It used to be very difficult to get Forgotten Realms books here in Norway. I managed to get Elminster in Hell and Elminster's Daughter in paperbacks from England a long time ago. Because they were so difficult to get you won't find them at used books stores either.

Close to 10 years ago I wanted to read the Drizzt books but The Hunter's Blades trilogy was the only ones I could find that didn't cost A LOT for delivery. And because I wanted to read the series in order I didn't order them.

But when the kindle app came out I suddenly had a ton of books available. That was incredible.

I'm ranting. Sorry about that. But if Red Magic isn't on Kindle or easily available on Amazon somewhere else I probably won't read it. That's why I was asking :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000