Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Neverwinter MMORPG - main impressions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Captain Grafalcon
Learned Scribe

Brazil
129 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2022 :  13:46:39  Show Profile Send Captain Grafalcon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In the last few days I had contact with the Neverwinter MMORPG. I know there is a plethora of this games on the market, but as Forgotten Realms fan I was impressed by the depth and breadth of the game. These games aren't particularly known for the story , but considering our community, I imagine some in the Candlekeep forum play, or have dedicated themselves in a period. I would like to know the general impressions of those who have invested time in the game. From what I understand, there are a fair amount of campaigns, and developers continually release content. Shouldn't there be more people playing, considering the D&D brand?

"Surely you recognize that armies carrying banners are almost always thieves—until they win."
Jarlaxle, mercenary leader of Bregan D'aerthe.

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2022 :  18:04:05  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I played it for a while. They drew me in because of my love of Neverwinter Nights. However, I stopped playing it because I just didn't find it fun. I have played D&D Online as well on the PC and I actually like that better. It is also linked to certain areas of the Realms and has some characters like Elminster in there as well. They have also implemented some of the well known published adventures like The Temple of Elemental Evil, Ravenloft, and some others I can't recall at this time (looks like they have just released The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh).

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2022 :  18:16:06  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Grafalcon

In the last few days I had contact with the Neverwinter MMORPG. I know there is a plethora of this games on the market, but as Forgotten Realms fan I was impressed by the depth and breadth of the game. These games aren't particularly known for the story , but considering our community, I imagine some in the Candlekeep forum play, or have dedicated themselves in a period. I would like to know the general impressions of those who have invested time in the game. From what I understand, there are a fair amount of campaigns, and developers continually release content. Shouldn't there be more people playing, considering the D&D brand?

Hard to say if a lot of people in this particular community play, though I'd assume at least many have at least tried it out since it is 100% free.

My impressions is, it's...well different. I started the Neverwinter MMO back when it originally started. I got my first character (Luskan Human Rogue / Assassin) up to 70th level and didn't spend one dollar on the game. Granted that my item level was exceptionally low for someone of that level because I didn't do raid/lair-runs/etc and just solo'd the whole game (no Guilds or anything), which I felt was kind of sad considering that high-tier play almost required it.

Overall, I think it's fun but there's some significant issues that I have with it (listed below):

Pros:
- It's free. This is probably the BIGGEST pull for me because if I had to pay a monthly subscription (like World of Warcraft) I wouldn't even bother. Heck, I don't even bother with WoW because it's ridiculous.

- It's D&D flavored, but *NOT* D&D. You're mileage may vary here but some games can be similar to D&D and not be actual D&D yet still be a lot of fun. One of the reasons it Can't be D&D is because of the real-time combat. D&D is a turn-based RPG, so games like BG I & II, Icewind Dale I & II, and even Neverwinter Nights does this better. Still, the fast pace game set with Neverwinter MMO leads to fun encounters that scratches that D&D itch for me personally.

- Classes are pretty distinct. Having a Rogue, a Paladin, and my daughter playing a Barbarian all feel like they're playing pretty different. Each class gets features and powers that can do unique things other classes can't - which is pretty cool.

- Options are surprisingly diverse. You can play a Moon Elf Fighter, a Tiefling Paladin, a Dragonborn Rogue, a Drow Warlock, a Sun Elf Cleric, Halflings, Githyanki, Aasimar, etc. Some are behind paywalls, some aren't. Still there's alot of options to toy with.

- Setting/Lore/Visuals are pretty good. The writers did, from what I've played, a fairly good job of instilling a LOT of lore into the game. From journals you can read, to quests for certain churches, to NPC interactions, etc. There's a lot to explore and it's pretty cool to see how say...Helms Hold looks or Port Last.

Cons:

- It's a free game...and it shows. Some times it's glitchy. The characters are pretty cartoony (normal for MMOs, but not for my aesthetics) and there can be lag - especially in places like Protector's Enclave.

- Too frequent use of high level NPCs. You can almost always find Elminster in Protector's Enclave. Always. I find this problematic and not really in-tune with the Realms as a setting. He's supposed to be pretty aloof IMO, not just easily accessible for quests.

- The "requirement" of spending money / Loot Boxes. Since it's a free game, it URGES you to buy in-game credit (Z-Coins) to get ways of unlocking these Loot Boxes you find while slaying monsters. These are WAAAY often cosmetic changes or maybe something else, but usually not worth the money. Not only that but the Bazaar and the Auction House has things that seem crazy over-priced. It's also a Pay-to-Win system. If you have better mounts, you move faster or have better powers. Kind of annoying if you HAVE to pay certain $$ just to get loot high enough to finish quests or campaigns.

- They don't explain everything very well. What I mean here is that while the class system is easy to follow, it almost requires a "Guide" or Build to follow so you're not short changing yourself later in-game. Do you go with this feat? how many points? What Daily Power? Etc. It builds on the WoW / Diablo mentality of micromanaging both your numbers, your stacking items, and power rotations (I'll get to it later).

- Changing the System around is annoying. Imagine my surprise that when I log into Neverwinter after a few months hiatus, my Rogue is now only level 20 (instead of level 70) and I have to completely re-arrange all his stats / powers / feats etc. Not to mention that the stuff is different and I basically had to re-learn how to play my character. Also, a lot of his gear was pointless or changed.

- Powers, Playing, and Rotations is annoying. One thing similar to other MMOs is that the game becomes quite boring when you're going through an Instant or just fetching things and it's the same (Spam At-Will, Toggle Encounter - feature - At-will - Encounter -Daily AANNND repeat) motions.

- Playing with Friends is pretty much a Must. If you're with your friends then it can be pretty fun or a good Guild in which is engaging and cool to hang out with. But by yourself, it can get too routine. I only got to 70 because the story and quests were interesting to me as a Forgotten Realms fan.
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2022 :  21:49:31  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

I have played D&D Online as well on the PC and I actually like that better.
I also like DDO more. In fact, I'd say it's one of the best MMO's I've ever played. But even in its prime, it was an acquired taste, and after 16 years, it's looking very long in the tooth. I can't recommend either game at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2022 :  00:05:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan
- It's D&D flavored, but *NOT* D&D. You're mileage may vary here but some games can be similar to D&D and not be actual D&D yet still be a lot of fun. One of the reasons it Can't be D&D is because of the real-time combat. D&D is a turn-based RPG, so games like BG I & II, Icewind Dale I & II, and even Neverwinter Nights does this better. Still, the fast pace game set with Neverwinter MMO leads to fun encounters that scratches that D&D itch for me personally.

I tried it, and this was the thing that was the complete deal breaker for me. It felt too much like "he who is a better clicker of the mouse wins" type of game. It just didn't feel like D&D. There was a CRPG that was also not turn based (think it was NWN) that I could kind of forgive because it still kind of felt like D&D. But this essentially felt like "you're just clicking a mouse until you kill stuff. I actually felt that game play of that sort worked better with Everquest 2 (or similar games like WoW, Dark Age of Camelot, etc... back when I was in my MMORPG phase...). I haven't really been able to get into any computer games for a while because so many feel like this one where they are just a first person shooter. For about 3-4 months, I really got into the MTG online game. I really miss an in-depth game like mechwarrior that isn't PvP or the original x-wing v/s tie fighter.... because I suck at PvP mechwarrior, but I enjoyed playing against the computer.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Captain Grafalcon
Learned Scribe

Brazil
129 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2022 :  12:20:39  Show Profile Send Captain Grafalcon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments. I've been playing for a few days, and I agree with most of the comments. I was once a casual WOW player, and despite the huge success, it never really appealed to me, there's not a very relevant story, and the multiplayer game is very reward-focused. In Neverwinter I feel like there's a little more appreciation for the plot, or maybe it's the possibility of playing something related to the Realms. My character has been in neverwinter for a few days and I've already met Elminster and Jarlaxle, explored long dungeons with a very interesting design, not to mention the possibility of exploring well-known regions of the scenario.

"Surely you recognize that armies carrying banners are almost always thieves—until they win."
Jarlaxle, mercenary leader of Bregan D'aerthe.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000