Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2022 :  23:19:38  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woody, the fact that you were responded to... indicates you don't have the power to Lock a Thread. Is that so?
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2022 :  04:27:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

This thread may need to be locked.

I agree that we've fully explored that particular tangent and need to leave off with it. If you guys want to continue that discussion, please take it to PM.

My apologies.

Ban me, boot me, what have you.

Being accused of ad hominem attack when I didn't is garbage...in light of the attacks on me being called a "mediocre white man" and ignorant and sullying Chinese culture by using "google-fu" and so on.

Delete the whole damn thing right before you delete me.

Don't care.

It used to be that virtues were earned by doing things and making sacrifices in our lives. Today, it can be done simply by trash talking someone's writing and making accusations.

I'm sorry Wooly, you are awesome. Never think for a second that I don't respect you and this forum.

It's just maybe not for me anymore.

EDIT: it's just the second time in as many weeks that someone has come on here and essentially tried a hatchet job on a writer. First it was the guy attacking Ed, now someone attacking Bob. Just sucks.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 20 Feb 2022 04:30:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2022 :  04:58:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

Woody, the fact that you were responded to... indicates you don't have the power to Lock a Thread. Is that so?

I do have the power to lock threads, and to delete posts. I prefer not to. I'd rather we move past disagreements, rather than slamming the door on them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2022 :  17:13:29  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

[quote]EDIT: it's just the second time in as many weeks that someone has come on here and essentially tried a hatchet job on a writer. First it was the guy attacking Ed, now someone attacking Bob. Just sucks.

-Finding the content of the book lacking because the content is seemingly limited and/or contrived or the title of the book problematic because the term has certain connotations in western thought is far from a hatchet job.

-To get back on track a little, I think a book of Forgotten Realms philosophies could be a cool product. You would need to have writers skilled enough to convey difficult concepts in writing (in terms of understanding and sometimes in terms of figuring out what the heck is going on in-universe), but if done right, something that could be like among the top level products the line has. I remember a while back when I was looking for some inspiration for my own world's regions and philosophies, I noticed the Forgotten Realms had a startling lack of things like specific holy books, specific prayers, specific philosophies that were spelled out in published sourcebooks or web articles. Seeing religious dogmas written out and described in-universe by followers would be a cool coffee table kind of book or series of web articles. Maybe a book of short stories a la the Realms Of X, with stories featuring little cross sections of the major philosophies and faiths, but that would probably be most difficult to pull off.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 20 Feb 2022 17:15:29
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2022 :  17:10:42  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

[quote]EDIT: it's just the second time in as many weeks that someone has come on here and essentially tried a hatchet job on a writer. First it was the guy attacking Ed, now someone attacking Bob. Just sucks.

-Finding the content of the book lacking because the content is seemingly limited and/or contrived or the title of the book problematic because the term has certain connotations in western thought is far from a hatchet job.

-To get back on track a little, I think a book of Forgotten Realms philosophies could be a cool product. You would need to have writers skilled enough to convey difficult concepts in writing (in terms of understanding and sometimes in terms of figuring out what the heck is going on in-universe), but if done right, something that could be like among the top level products the line has. I remember a while back when I was looking for some inspiration for my own world's regions and philosophies, I noticed the Forgotten Realms had a startling lack of things like specific holy books, specific prayers, specific philosophies that were spelled out in published sourcebooks or web articles. Seeing religious dogmas written out and described in-universe by followers would be a cool coffee table kind of book or series of web articles. Maybe a book of short stories a la the Realms Of X, with stories featuring little cross sections of the major philosophies and faiths, but that would probably be most difficult to pull off.

Fair point. Guess I'm just wary of "softening the target" to a degree that I am out of bounds on my assertion. Fair enough. My apologies for accusations of a hatchet job here.

As for it being the "Dao of Drizzt" I don't think it is really a horrible title considering Kara-Tur does exist in the world, there are monastic orders all over Faerun and etc. It is a fantasy world with parallels to this world because of the cultures that exist within it.

A fantasy setting like the FR (as it came to be, not the way Ed originally envisioned it having fewer real world comparisons) has to use wording similar to the Fantasy Cultures (and their real world inspirations) to maintain a degree of familiarity for the reader.

Is the "Dao of Drizzt" going to be a good read?

I didn't find the dark elf's reflections the reason I originally enjoyed the novels...so not sure on this. Like any novel, some will love it and some fewer will not.

There is a reason Bob is able to continue selling books.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2022 :  22:18:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can’t believe that the fire in this scroll isn’t directed solely at the astronomical $40 price tag I’m seeing on this compilation!

Is there something special out it I’m missing? Is it leather bound? Or a massive page count?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2022 :  22:28:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I can’t believe that the fire in this scroll isn’t directed solely at the astronomical $40 price tag I’m seeing on this compilation!

Is there something special out it I’m missing? Is it leather bound? Or a massive page count?

Wow, I didn't even notice that. Even if this was something I was interested in, I'd find that price problematic. That's more than a hardcover novel and closer to game material price tags.

$40 for a compilation of existing material... There better be a really deluxe cover or a centerfold of Pwent or Cattie-Brie (Whatever your preference) or a slipcase or something like that, included in that price!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Feb 2022 22:29:32
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2022 :  23:30:50  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's significantly more expensive than the most recent novel. The product description describes it as a "beautifully packaged gift book," which suggests a coffee table-sized book, but the dimensions are the same as a standard hardcover. Odd.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2022 :  02:10:00  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Didn't realize the price, either, but that's about par the course for coffee table kinda books I guess. A Reader's Guide to R. A. Salvatore's the Legend of Drizzt was like $30-ish when it came out, so adjust for bullshit inflation and whatever.

-I'm more surprised it's 336 pages. I know Drizzt didn't have 336 pages of musings, so wonder what all those pages are gonna be.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2022 :  02:18:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-I'm more surprised it's 336 pages. I know Drizzt didn't have 336 pages of musings, so wonder what all those pages are gonna be.

Actually, I'm fairly certain he did. He's been in what, 30+ books? That's not even 10 pages a book.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2022 :  23:22:13  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I’ll take your word for it… I’ve read and enjoyed every Drizzt novel and thumbed right past ever journal entry since the very first

I’ll just keep hoping his sales numbers spur more FR novels from other authors

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2022 :  13:47:56  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Actually, I'm fairly certain he did. He's been in what, 30+ books? That's not even 10 pages a book.

It's been a long time and I'm going off memory (since the books themselves are in another country right now), but my old omnibus edition of the Icewind Dale trilogy had those musings taking up perhaps four to five pages each.

I would be willing to believe that you can get to 336 pages. Discount the starting pages, finishing pages, maybe sprinkle in a few new ones to join the old ones, and it could reach that number.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2022 :  20:50:35  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is also probably a couple pages of a "a word from the author" type of entry.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2022 :  14:42:17  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sure, not every new character is going to put their author on the NYT Bestseller list -- but there were a lot of novel characters that were the focus of entire trilogies, if not more than that. You don't have to hit it out of the park to get a home run.

Absolutely. While I'm only in a few novels deep into the Harper series, subsequent novels to stories I'm reading now would ALWAYS make me reach for my wallet. I'd LOVE to learn there was more to read concerning Martine and Krote from Soldiers of Ice or whether Caledan and Mari from Crypt of the Shadowking ever got together and had more adventures. Recurring heroes are one of my greatest attractions to FR lore and really seems like a no-brainer to any company wishing to increase its bottom line.

I'm sure you scribes and loremasters know whether something was expanded upon from a novel or not, but I don't. Any forwarding information on these novels and others would be appreciated, since it seems WotC won't be helping me in that.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2022 :  05:34:37  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it says everything about my tastes that I always felt Drizzt's musings on the nature of Dungeons and Dragons, morality, gods, and reality were the best part of his stories.

And I totally bought The Dao of Drizzt.

Which is solely for the alliteration I'm sure. They SHOULD have called it, "Ranger Wisdom: The Philosophy of Drizzt Do'Urden."

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000