Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dungeons & Dragons movie in the Forgotten Realms!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2023 :  10:32:47  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

Yes, it has the world-threatening stuff in a Wizard of Thay plot to wipe out Neverwinter.

It's not world-ending, but more localized. Then again, perhaps that's because we FR readers are used to so many world-shaterring events back to back, and those actually threaten the whole world, or a large part of it.

quote:

And he's not interested in the usurper save for the fact they are raising his daughter.

Sure, the main point I was trying to make is that it seems far more close and personal than superhero stuff usually is.

This stuff isn't something that I'd be surprised to see in your next FR novel (for better or worse), which is why I was perplexed by the talk about Marvel-esque tone.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 01 Apr 2023 10:34:38
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2023 :  21:54:36  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Watched the movie today, and loved it.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2023 :  22:36:22  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went to see it yesterday, and I will admit that I wasn't expecting much - Hollyweird has been disappointing lately, after all (though I have not yet seen the latest John Wick film).

I was pleasantly surprised. I actually enjoyed the movie. It was as if the people who made it set out to tell a story and entertain us, and nothing else. I left the theater feeling like I had gotten my money's worth, and then some. Someone on the writing staff was either a Realms fan, or knuckled down and did their homework.

Without going into deep reflection, my sole gripe is that Edgin (Chris Pine) was a bard, but had no bardic magic (that I was aware of). So if that's the extent of my complaints, I have only kudos to give to the movie's production.
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2023 :  22:53:17  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here. Didn't go in with the highest expectations. What I was left with was a very refreshingly wholesome and endearing adventure movie, with both good heart and humour.

I was also a bit struck by having some things you've read about long in sourcebooks and novels come to the big screen. To the veterans sages of Candlekeep, it might not seem like much, but even that little left a bright feeling with me at least.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2023 :  19:26:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Greenwood has commented that he's already seen the movie twice and will likely take friends to see it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2023 :  06:06:47  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once in the theater is enough for me. I’ll purchase it on streaming for rewatching it. If the blu-ray has decent special features (deleted scenes, commentary and/or trivia track), I’ll get it also.

My only nitpick about the movie is they didn’t credit Gygax & Arneson for creating Dungeons & Dragons, nor credit Greenwood for creating the Forgotten Realms.

- Ryan

Edited by - Rymac on 04 Apr 2023 06:07:50
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2023 :  13:05:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
My only nitpick about the movie is they didn’t credit Gygax & Arneson for creating Dungeons & Dragons, nor credit Greenwood for creating the Forgotten Realms.

You would think they'd at least get some sort of special thanks in the credits.

But Wizbro doesn't like sharing things or admitting that others helped create the things they own.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2023 :  00:13:05  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They got the heartblood river right! (delimbyr vale, for a brief shot of a map)

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

Yes, it has the world-threatening stuff in a Wizard of Thay plot to wipe out Neverwinter.

It's not world-ending, but more localized.

What's more dnd than defeating the bad mage by abusing a casting time and the spell's effective radius. Plus, the horn of orcus prop macguffin was left somewhere on the battlefield without the party or noble paying it any mind. Only to resurface years later.. classic heroes.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T

Edited by - PattPlays on 17 Apr 2023 00:19:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2023 :  04:45:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, it's like Hasbro is actively courting bad publicity, of late... The Pinkerton thing was over the top, and now we find out that Jeff Easley's signature was removed (not cropped out, full-on deliberately removed) from the movie poster they gave out at the theaters.

(If you didn't know about the Pinkerton thing, there's a link in the below article)

Hasbro removes artist’s signature from D&D movie poster

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2023 :  08:33:34  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

It's not world-ending, but more localized.

Arguable, but my point is that it doesn't give off superhero vibes like many were saying.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

redking
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2023 :  13:01:09  Show Profile Send redking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Jeff Easley's signature was removed (not cropped out, full-on deliberately removed) from the movie poster they gave out at the theaters.

What a disgrace. I thought artists that legal protection. Authors do.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2023 :  23:55:13  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Man, it's like Hasbro is actively courting bad publicity, of late... The Pinkerton thing was over the top, and now we find out that Jeff Easley's signature was removed (not cropped out, full-on deliberately removed) from the movie poster they gave out at the theaters.

(If you didn't know about the Pinkerton thing, there's a link in the below article)

Pinkertons? Union busting ?

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2023 :  19:47:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ummm, reading that... D20 popcorn container? I want one.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2023 :  20:07:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Ummm, reading that... D20 popcorn container? I want one.

They're nice. I saw the movie a second time, just to get the free cloth map and the D20 popcorn container. Then I found out you could also get the popcorn contain from AMC's online store, and bought a second one.

...But they're sold out, now, and likely going for a pretty penny on the eBay.

I have dice in mine, of course.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2023 :  20:10:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep buying products from unethical companies. Or move onto alternatives.

It's a choice we all face eventually. I know avid collectors who finally decided to cauterize the links between their wallets and Star Wars, Star Trek, Disney, whatever. Many are passionate about the fandoms they love, they are equally passionate about the fandoms they've abandoned.

Imagine working for or doing business with a company once you become aware of how disrespectful they are towards others who've worked for them before. Such companies treat their customers as an obstacle between them and their money, I'm happy to do myself and them a favour by removing that obstacle from their path.

I personally agree with the philosophy of turning my back on companies which shamelessly and thoughtlessly vandalize things I love. It's not at all about "voting with my wallet" - the money I'd spend buying the products it utterly insignificant compared to the money they spend selling the products - it is all about simply choosing to not waste my time and money on things which would make me unhappy.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 01 May 2023 20:20:47
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2023 :  20:17:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Keep buy products from unethical companies. Or move onto alternatives.

It's a choice we all face eventually. I've heard of avid collectors who finally decided to cauterize the link between their wallets and Star Wars, Star Trek, Disney, whatever. Many are passionate about the fandoms they love, equally passionate about the fandoms they've abandoned.

I personally agree with the philosophy of turning my back on companies which shamelessly and thoughtlessly vandalize things I love. It's not even about "voting with my wallet" - one voice changes nothing - it is all about simply choosing to not waste my time and money buying unhappiness.

That was what I did with BattleTech. I walked away for several years, and didn't even touch the stuff I still had. It's only the last few years, when they've been leaning into the Clan Invasion era again, that I've started getting back into it -- my first exposure to BattleTech was the Jade Phoenix books, so (like the ToT) I came in just as a big change was happening and stuck with it until another big change ruined it for me.

(Though in that case, my issues never extended to the company. I hated the Jihad and found it more problematic than the Spellplague, but I simply didn't have cause to criticize the company, aside from hating what they were doing to the setting)

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 May 2023 20:19:01
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2023 :  20:25:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BattleTech was disappointing. In the end, I sold it to a friend for a lot less than I'd spent on it.

In the end, I chose to focus on how much entertainment BattleTech had brought to me (and my gaming group) for years. It was good entertainment, worth the money I'd "spent" on it.

I've learned to feel the same way about any book or movie or other entertainment I buy. If I feel it did a fair job of entertaining me then I can walk away without disappointment.

Buying into D&D disappointments is something I walked away from a few editions back.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2023 :  23:09:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not at THAT point yet with WotC. I'm getting there. When they first came out with 5e, I felt they had finally realized what a mess they had made with 4e and they were trying to fix the "game" issues that they had created in 4e while embracing some of the actual advancements that 4e had brought. That being said, 3.5e had its own problems, especially at the higher level end, and I felt 5e was trying to address that.... but it still needs a LOT of work. That being said, not looking to turn this into an edition war discussion. The point is, in the last couple years I've seen a trend start to happen with the company that is echoed in our society at many levels, and that trend wasn't worried about game balance or design. That trend was more about "social" changes and "wording" changes to the game, and in my view those changes are very much less subjective than a "design"/"mechanical" change. I'm also seeing (or at least I'm hopeful I'm seeing) that trend starting to change in our society, and I'm hoping that will start being echoed back in the company. In the meantime, I'll still buy things that I always wanted to see, even if they aren't perfect, in hopes that things will improve. This movie was one of them. When they come out with some new rules (this 5.5e as some call it), I plan to buy it to see if they improved the ruleset. Now, what they plan to release until then..... I honestly don't know, and I find THAT interesting that they just released a movie which should generate interest in the game again, and they have no product that they're pushing out (other than movie related things.. for instance, I found a tshirt for sale at walmart... and at Christmas I found wrapping paper related to the movie). I know they're releasing novels related to the movie, but I'm not interested in that.... because while I found the movie entertaining, I didn't find it INTRIGUING. I'll definitely buy the DVD when it's released, and I would have bought a popcorn thing just to have something interesting.... but anything else would have to actually intrigue me.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 01 May 2023 23:18:55
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2023 :  23:32:28  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Keep buying products from unethical companies. Or move onto alternatives.

It's a choice we all face eventually. I know avid collectors who finally decided to cauterize the links between their wallets and Star Wars, Star Trek, Disney, whatever. Many are passionate about the fandoms they love, they are equally passionate about the fandoms they've abandoned.

Imagine working for or doing business with a company once you become aware of how disrespectful they are towards others who've worked for them before. Such companies treat their customers as an obstacle between them and their money, I'm happy to do myself and them a favour by removing that obstacle from their path.

I personally agree with the philosophy of turning my back on companies which shamelessly and thoughtlessly vandalize things I love. It's not at all about "voting with my wallet" - the money I'd spend buying the products it utterly insignificant compared to the money they spend selling the products - it is all about simply choosing to not waste my time and money on things which would make me unhappy.

Based on these developments (and more), I'm glad I inadvertently parted ways with WOTC when I became interested in TSR-era Forgotten Realms. Anyhow...buying secondhand products produced by deceased companies is a surefire way to ensure that you aren't supporting contemporary despicable/disheartening corporate practices. There is much safe entertainment out there for the ethically and/or morally discerning individual.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2023 :  00:45:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back to topic, though.

I rather enjoyed this movie. It had enough callouts to generic D&D and to Realmslore to make me happy. Enough that I'm willing to overlook the little warts. At the very least, it was far better (in my opinion) than previous D&D-based movie offerings.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2023 :  01:06:33  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Back to topic, though.

I rather enjoyed this movie. It had enough callouts to generic D&D and to Realmslore to make me happy. Enough that I'm willing to overlook the little warts. At the very least, it was far better (in my opinion) than previous D&D-based movie offerings.

The ham factor of Jeremy Irons (and, to a lesser extent, Bruce Payne) will keep Dungeons and Dragons a fun "so bad, it's good" flick for years to come; this film is steeped in 5eisms (great if you like that system, not-so-great if otherwise, but it will age regardless) and the Realms connections are a bit too tenuous/painted-on for my liking. We can do better...both with D&D and Forgotten Realms live-action adaptations.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2023 :  19:49:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

The ham factor of Jeremy Irons (and, to a lesser extent, Bruce Payne) will keep Dungeons and Dragons a fun "so bad, it's good" flick for years to come; this film is steeped in 5eisms (great if you like that system, not-so-great if otherwise, but it will age regardless) and the Realms connections are a bit too tenuous/painted-on for my liking.

Sadly, this film lacks Jeremy Irons and Bruce Payne.

Instead, it provides Chris Pine. He did a fair job, I suppose, of portraying a too-talky, half-useless bard character.

But I feel the movie would've been better without him. This is the actor who turned down blockbuster Star Trek and superhero movie projects until/unless they paid him more money. More than the ridiculous millions he was already being paid. So I'm guessing his work on this D&D movie was not cheap. And I imagine they could've added a lot more to the movie by spending this money on other things I would value more than Chris Pine's face on the character.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

redking
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2023 :  16:22:23  Show Profile Send redking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing against the movie. I saw it and enjoyed it. Not great but not bad either. The reported 150 million dollar budget seems high for the resulting movie. D&D movies need an M. Night Shyamalan to control the movie budget.
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2023 :  05:55:12  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris Pine being in the movie was one of the main reasons I didn't end up seeing it. I could not stand his Kirk, and seeing him playing another character that even remotely reminds me of that role is an instant turn-off.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2023 :  14:57:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to note for those who may have seen the movie in the theater and wanted to rewatch it with a more in depth look for hidden easter eggs, its free in Paramount+ right now.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2023 :  21:58:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll wait two more days and pick up the Bluray, with a digital copy, in the store.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2023 :  22:22:16  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll wait two more days and pick up the Bluray, with a digital copy, in the store.

There's often content on the home media version which is absent or different from the cinema version.

But the sad truth is that sometimes they make extra or different content exclusive to the cinema release. Sometimes they even make different cinema releases. The idea is to encourage and reward people for paying to watch the movie in a theatre, to encourage and reward people for paying to watch the movie on every available format.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2023 :  23:27:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, I'll get that too, but for those that won't... free on paramount is nice. Which reminds me.... I really need to go find my DVD of the old D&D cartoon. Ever since watching the movie, I've wanted to rewatch those episodes.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2023 :  06:07:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Oh, I'll get that too, but for those that won't... free on paramount is nice. Which reminds me.... I really need to go find my DVD of the old D&D cartoon. Ever since watching the movie, I've wanted to rewatch those episodes.

Free on Paramount is nice indeed -- if you have that service.

I'd love to find my DVD set of the old cartoon. I own it, and I'm fairly certain it's around this house, someplace... But Lurue only knows where it's gotten off too, and right now, I simply can't search all the potential places the set may be lurking.

Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2023 :  22:27:57  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Azar

The ham factor of Jeremy Irons (and, to a lesser extent, Bruce Payne) will keep Dungeons and Dragons a fun "so bad, it's good" flick for years to come; this film is steeped in 5eisms (great if you like that system, not-so-great if otherwise, but it will age regardless) and the Realms connections are a bit too tenuous/painted-on for my liking.

Sadly, this film lacks Jeremy Irons and Bruce Payne.

Instead, it provides Chris Pine. He did a fair job, I suppose, of portraying a too-talky, half-useless bard character.

But I feel the movie would've been better without him. This is the actor who turned down blockbuster Star Trek and superhero movie projects until/unless they paid him more money. More than the ridiculous millions he was already being paid. So I'm guessing his work on this D&D movie was not cheap. And I imagine they could've added a lot more to the movie by spending this money on other things I would value more than Chris Pine's face on the character.

Who should've gotten the Edgin part? I wonder if Oscar Isaac would've been cheaper than Chris Pine, he's been in practically every other franchise so why not add D&D?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000