Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Larry Elmore Kickstarter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2013 :  20:13:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I (finally! ) got my Kickstarter package yesterday... I've barely had time to go thru the book, but I have started perusing it. I've already read something quite interesting about Raistlin Majere...

When Weis and Hickman started the project for the Dragonlance Chronicles novels, the characters did not have backstories -- just stats and the artists' paintings. So Margaret Weis asked Larry why Raistlin had gold skin and hourglass eyes. The answer was because it looked cool.

So Margaret had to figure out why Raistlin looked so different from his brother. She decided it must have something to do with his magic, and then thought about him having to take a test to be able use his magic... And suddenly she had his story, his character, and his rather complicated relationship with Caramon.

And for the original cover for Dragons of Spring Dawning, Margaret asked Larry to have a shadow over Raistlin's lower half, as a hint of what was coming.

As someone who loves a good backstory far better than stats or lists of magical doodads, I found that an interesting look into how one of D&D's most iconic characters came about.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2013 :  20:15:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Snarf Quest amused me greatly in the days of my shady youth. Worth a few bucks, for sure.

He's doing a SnarfQuest Kickstarter right now, I believe.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2013 :  02:24:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I (finally! ) got my Kickstarter package yesterday... I've barely had time to go thru the book, but I have started perusing it. I've already read something quite interesting about Raistlin Majere...

When Weis and Hickman started the project for the Dragonlance Chronicles novels, the characters did not have backstories -- just stats and the artists' paintings. So Margaret Weis asked Larry why Raistlin had gold skin and hourglass eyes. The answer was because it looked cool.

So Margaret had to figure out why Raistlin looked so different from his brother. She decided it must have something to do with his magic, and then thought about him having to take a test to be able use his magic... And suddenly she had his story, his character, and his rather complicated relationship with Caramon.

And for the original cover for Dragons of Spring Dawning, Margaret asked Larry to have a shadow over Raistlin's lower half, as a hint of what was coming.

As someone who loves a good backstory far better than stats or lists of magical doodads, I found that an interesting look into how one of D&D's most iconic characters came about.

That kind of matches what Weis shared about Raistlin's creation in the Annotated Chronicles. I didn't know about that shadow-bit, though. That's cool!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2015 :  22:35:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, look! Another Kickstarter for Larry Elmore artwork! The Complete Elmore Volume II: Black & White

quote:
The Long-Awaited Sister Book is Here!

My first Kickstarter, the Complete Elmore full-color art book, was a huge success! I am very happy with how that book turned out, and have heard from many very happy backers about its quality. Now, I want to make available, through this project, the sister book to that one.

I have found more than 600 drawings I’d like to include in this book, from rough sketches to finished drawings. Some are pencil, some are ink, and some are a combination. These span my full 40 year career, from my TSR days through last week! Some are sketches and drawings used as the basis for some of my more famous paintings, but many you've probably never seen before.

This book, being the sister book to that first one, will be the same 9" x 12" size and encompass 256 pages. Depending on your pledge amount, you can own this book as a standard coffee-table hardback edition, or a deluxe leather-bound limited edition; as well as other bonuses, such as special prints, a Complete Elmore slipcase for both books, or even the original drawing used for the cover itself.

The Kickstarter has more than a month to go... But it's already funded.

I'd love to get the hardback and the slipcase for both books... But damn, I can't justify spending $50 on a fancy box.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 May 2015 22:37:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2023 :  01:03:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's going to be a third Kickstarter for a Larry Elmore artbook...

"It has been over 10 years since my very successful 2012 Kickstarter campaign for The Complete Elmore, a hardback collection of many of the highlights of my long career as a fantasy artist. But I didn't stop working in 2012, and the past decade has been very fruitful. I think it's time for an update.

It is therefore my pleasure to announce the third and final volume of my career retrospectives: The Complete Elmore III: Highlights of a Path Well Traveled.

You can be notified on the launch by visiting this link."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larryelmore/larry-elmore-the-complete-elmore-volume-iii-hardcover-book

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000