Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 MAPS [2e][3e][4e]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2011 :  04:47:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Pretty sure I've still got all of those maps... Have to see where I buried them, though...

... And it was easier to find them than I thought. I've still got all of them. Never did get around to tossing them up on eBay...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2012 :  17:23:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And all of this can be be nipped-in-the-bud, simply by putting the disclaimer on the maps (which I don't always remember to do, which is why I also have one on my DeviantART site).

However, my maps are modified versions of the originals, which puts them firmly in the 'derivative works' category, so I only need the disclaimer (stating they are wotC/Hasbro property). Derivative art falls under the same category as parodies, and are usually okay (the companies could still theoretically challenge them - especially in the case of a map containing names from other copyrighted sources - but will not normally do so, so long as you do not try to make money off of them - that endangers their IP).

4e maps I would not put on the net, simply because they seem to be keeping a tight lid on 4e material. My Larakond Map is not a 4e map - it is my own original work inspired by the 4e Returned Abeir map and material (with much added by me... and funny enough, you can find that map on many sites claiming it is the 'official' one.. more then you find the real official one).

I have found that so long as you don't make money from their stuff, WotC will look the other way, if only because your own contributions to the community grow the fanbase, which is good for everyone.

This is one of the few instances where I will say WotC 'behaves' better then Paizo, or many other RPG companies. I suppose they realize most folks who like 'free stuff' wouldn't have paid for it, regardless, and that viewing such 'questionable' material could lead to purchases that would not have otherwise been made.

Going after your own fans in court is just BAD business - fansites only help generate buzz. Have you any idea how many purchases I have made because of THIS site? And I am not just talking FR or D&D here - right now I am reading Fire & Ice because of recommendations here.

Just my 2 cents.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Mar 2012 17:25:25
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000