Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 The Orc King: Chapters 19 - 24
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  17:17:58  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for The Orc King (Book 1 of Transitions), by R.A. Salvatore. Please discuss chapters 19 - 24 herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2007 :  18:01:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, was Drizzt reading Ronald Reagan's speeches? I was kind of amused when he used the term "shining city on the hill" in Journal Entry #4.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2007 :  13:27:24  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Hmm, was Drizzt reading Ronald Reagan's speeches? I was kind of amused when he used the term "shining city on the hill" in Journal Entry #4.

Yes, I as well was surprised as heck to find out Drizzt ( Bob Salvatore) was a closeted conservative

Actually associating that in any wayto an orc kingdom could be offensive.

Should have been "a stinking pile of refuse on a knoll."

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2007 :  16:17:21  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest, I think it had more to do with WotC's "points of light" concept than Ronald Regan.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2007 :  18:29:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

To be honest, I think it had more to do with WotC's "points of light" concept than Ronald Regan.

Reagan is famous for using the term "shining city on a hill" (to describe the U.S.), although of course he may not have coined the term.

The Orc King definitely has a lot to do with the points of light concept, I just found it humorous to read Drizzt musing about the orc kingdom and/or Mithral Hall and/or the Silver Marches becoming "the shining city on a hill".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 05 Nov 2007 18:30:03
Go to Top of Page

catsclaw
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  18:42:04  Show Profile  Visit catsclaw's Homepage Send catsclaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Reagan is famous for using the term "shining city on a hill" (to describe the U.S.), although of course he may not have coined the term.

Reagan did coin the phrase, although it hearkens back to John Winthrop's sermon in 1630, "For we must consider that we shall be as a city upon a hill, the eyes of all people are upon us ...", which itself echoes the Sermon on the Mount: "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  02:09:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by catsclaw

quote:

Reagan did coin the phrase, although it hearkens back to John Winthrop's sermon in 1630, "For we must consider that we shall be as a city upon a hill, the eyes of all people are upon us ...", which itself echoes the Sermon on the Mount: "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid."

Wow, I didn't know that--thank you for the information.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  13:11:16  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by catsclaw

quote:

You learn something new at Candlekeep every day!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Paul123
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2019 :  02:57:02  Show Profile Send Paul123 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
;)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000