Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Brian R. James
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  01:15:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

For those of you that may be interested, I started posting new timeline events on my micro blog at http://www.twitter.com/brianrjames

I'm going to post at least one new timeline event each day, covering the years after the Spellplague. I'm starting with events relating to Cormyr, Sembia, and the Dalelands (most intended for the FRCG or Backdrop: Cormyr but were subsequently cut).

For the first time since it came out, I'm going to have to follow someone's Twitter...

I agree. Finally, I can say "Yeah, I use Twitter!"

Good stuff Brian.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  03:02:51  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Are you even going to expand the older entries? I've seen a few entries, least on the PDF version, that I've tried to find but were never included.
That's an excellent question Kuje. I had hoped that WotC would continue to publish online updates to the Grand History, but that hasn't happened. I'm well aware that there are gaps in the Grand History, both PDF and print editions, which should be filled. I happen to have a copy of Mr. Krashos unreleased consolidated timeline, which is freakin huge! Perhaps we can all pester George to release part, or all of this fantastic work to the public.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  03:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

For the first time since it came out, I'm going to have to follow someone's Twitter...

I agree. Finally, I can say "Yeah, I use Twitter!"

Good stuff Brian.

Hehehe. Thanks guys. I've become increasingly fond of Twitter, and I thought the timeline idea would be perfect for 140 characters or less.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  03:10:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been enjoying the tweets. Now if we can get George's massive timeline, life will be complete.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  03:47:01  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Twitter added as a "favorite" on IE. ;)

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  05:01:58  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Are you even going to expand the older entries? I've seen a few entries, least on the PDF version, that I've tried to find but were never included.
That's an excellent question Kuje. I had hoped that WotC would continue to publish online updates to the Grand History, but that hasn't happened. I'm well aware that there are gaps in the Grand History, both PDF and print editions, which should be filled. I happen to have a copy of Mr. Krashos unreleased consolidated timeline, which is freakin huge! Perhaps we can all pester George to release part, or all of this fantastic work to the public.

Nod nod. :( Ah well, I have a feeling that the dates from the older years won't ever be updated. Sigh. And some of the material that was cut from the printed version just made be scratch my head in puzzlement, especially because some of the entries are from the campaign box sets from 1e and 2e.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  15:37:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
1446 DR: Deep gnolls are spotted hunting in the Northtrees March. It is unknown what menace drove the hahlorkh to the surface.

Okay, first, I've got to ask: was this something you came up with later, or was this originally intended for print?

Second: Rock! I loved those articles, and I've already stated that if I could, I would make the deep gnolls official Realmslore.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  16:23:39  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hehehe. Thanks guys. I've become increasingly fond of Twitter, and I thought the timeline idea would be perfect for 140 characters or less.

Grmmbl. I really have to hate you for making me join twitter... Gmrmmbllbl
The entries are cool though. Would it be ok if I compile them (in order) on the FR wizards boards, if I provide alink to your twitter page? (Maybe I can get them to sticky the thread as well...)

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  16:32:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been making my own -- in chronological order -- compilation, too.

Mine's just a text file, though, for the moment.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  16:51:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've been making my own -- in chronological order -- compilation, too.
As have I. This is neato tidbit-Realmslore, that begs to be compiled for future reference.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  16:59:34  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL, great minds think alike!

I've taken the GHotR and put into my historical.js for the Forgotten Realms Calendar tool, so I've been adding these to it as well.

Which, of course, led me to create a straight History page with all the entries listed in chronological order. The other neat trick was hyperlinking all the 'reference years' listed so you can jump around.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  20:36:52  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
1446 DR: Deep gnolls are spotted hunting in the Northtrees March. It is unknown what menace drove the hahlorkh to the surface.
Okay, first, I've got to ask: was this something you came up with later, or was this originally intended for print?

Second: Rock! I loved those articles, and I've already stated that if I could, I would make the deep gnolls official Realmslore.

You guys should know by now, any opportunity I get to nudge the Candlekeep Compendium articles into canon, I'm going to take it. This event was originally intended for Backdrop: Cormyr, but alas it along with a large number of other timeline events didn't make the cut.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  20:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

Grmmbl. I really have to hate you for making me join twitter... Gmrmmbllbl
The entries are cool though. Would it be ok if I compile them (in order) on the FR wizards boards, if I provide alink to your twitter page? (Maybe I can get them to sticky the thread as well...)
I have no problems with this Gomez

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  08:45:37  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added here: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=18416779
If you like me to add something (disclaimers etc), let me know.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  13:47:40  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I put up a abridged version of the historical listing I've created at my web acccount:

GHotR Addendum

Brian, if you or WotC don't like this, let me know and I'll pull it down.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  13:55:34  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well.. I think i do not have to check it on Brian's website anymore.. LoL. Thanks for the updates!

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  15:55:22  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I put up a abridged version of the historical listing I've created at my web acccount:

GHotR Addendum

Ashe/Matt 1440 has two different names in you link.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  16:16:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

GHotR Addendum

Ashe/Matt 1440 has two different names in you link.

BRIMSTONE

1440 is the Year of Azuth's Woe.

The Year of the Mages in Amber is 1466... But the entry where the erroneous year name appears is also misdated. It should be 1446:

quote:

And 1446 is the Year of the Queen's Honor.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  16:34:11  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I just caught the 1440/1446 error when updating. And I corrected the 1446, grabbed the wrong year while copying/pasting.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  06:29:40  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm:

"...and there on blood-soaked fields of Grong-Haap, Edranka's goblin armies were swept away by Hargut of the Gray Pestilence."

refers to the Year of Craven Words, I guess (Not in the GHotR by the way).
But why post this now...?
(note: could be just fluff... but as Brian is working on a Realms adventure for Dungeon...)

Edited by - gomez on 29 Apr 2009 08:27:14
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  03:05:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the release date, Brian!

Underdark

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  03:13:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Underdark

Sigh. Another recycled name...

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  03:54:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Underdark

Good to know. Puts on must buy list.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 30 Apr 2009 03:54:56
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  04:35:55  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I didn't get cover credit, but I did contribute about 15,000 words to this and cannot wait to see the final product. Just to be clear, this Underdark is a core 4E sourcebook much like Open Grave, and not a Forgotten Realms supplement.
quote:

Underdark

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  04:37:07  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No comment.
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

"...and there on blood-soaked fields of Grong-Haap, Edranka's goblin armies were swept away by Hargut of the Gray Pestilence."

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  15:59:39  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you would have anything taking place in or around the Dalelands, and if there would be any rumors about that are related to any events of import, of any kind, don't hesitate to let me know - I could add them to future RPGA adventures.
I could in return provide a few rumors of my own... :D

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  19:19:58  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Brian James.
I made this question to Ed but he didn't answered. (I know that he is absolutely busy this days)

Could you answer it for me?
quote:

THO or Ed... (Maybe Brian James or Eric Boyd could help me too)
I've asked this questions on another topic, but no one answered me with a good explanation (Well... Wooly told me he thinks that doesn't have a canon answer, but even so I have to ask you )

There's any explanation to the elves' changes of 3e to 4e?
Why do they live only 200 years now? And how can Sun and Moon elves teleport? What about wild/wood elves "sleeping"?

Thanks.

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  17:39:34  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Brian, I wouldnt be upset if there isn't any explanation or if you couldn't give me one. I'm still waiting for the answer..

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2009 :  15:34:58  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

There's any explanation to the elves' changes of 3e to 4e?
Why do they live only 200 years now? And how can Sun and Moon elves teleport? What about wild/wood elves "sleeping"?
Sorry Edappel. I don't have an official explanation for you. The fey step ability, however, can be explained by the Feywild shifting closer to Toril, which may also account for the eye change in eladrin. As for the change in age and elven reverie, I'm personally inclined to say this in an instance where FR elves/eladrin deviate from Core D&D elves/eladrin since there is plenty of previous Realmslore to refute it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2009 :  16:50:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Brian, what happened to the timeline updates?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000