Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Brian R. James
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  22:48:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Why yes, I believe it is. Vecna is the preeminent bad guy in Open Grave.

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Is that Vecna himself on the cover?

Makes sense, with the missing eye and all. Thanks.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  23:40:29  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the mere fact that he punked out the Lady of Pain on her own
plane makes him one of the upper eschelon villians in
DD history. I don't remember, was he on the Dragons top 20 villians
list in the last Dragon?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2008 :  01:43:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please don't mention Die Vecna Die. I have a hard enough time trying to forget that module even exists.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  22:08:30  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Please don't mention Die Vecna Die. I have a hard enough time trying to forget that module even exists.

I need new glasses.

My brain read that first as Da Vecna Code!

Steven
who'd actually think that would be a BLAST to write, were there still a market for Greyhawk fiction.....with a Brooklyn accent

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  22:47:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... does Vecna enjoy laying his sacrificial victims out in the pose of the Vitruvian Man?

quote:

VERY interesting.

An FR designer, working on a book with a Greyhawk baddie on the cover.

VERY interesting, indeed.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  01:47:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Steven
who'd actually think that would be a BLAST to write, were there still a market for Greyhawk fiction.....with a Brooklyn accent
Is there any particular aspect of GH that you'd like to write about?

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  16:24:20  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I spend a fair amount of computer time playing the MMORPG Everquest 2, I was thinking how great it would be to group up online with some of my friends from Candlekeep.

If you're interested I can send you an invitation which will allow you to play for free through the end of July, or go to the website to check it out yourself. If you do download the trial and roll up a character be sure to pick the Befallen server so we can hang out!

When in game, send me a /tell. I'm usually logged in as Iakhovas (lvl 80 fae shadowknight) or Lathander (lvl 67 erudite monk).

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  20:22:51  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why did Die Vecna Die make you want to forget, Sage?
While it didn't exactly make sense with Vecna getting into Sigil,
I though the whole concept was sound, if you wrote outside
published lore and campaign rules, which I think makes for
better stories anyway. (Less rules makes more creativity.)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  21:59:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Sometimes it takes more creativity to work within rules.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  22:46:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Things published for a campaign setting, by the makers of that campaign setting, should adhere to the rules established for that campaign setting.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  01:38:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rinonalyrna and Wooly are definitely on the mark.

My main issue with the DVD module is, specifically, that it made a mockery of the Lady of Pain's power and position within the City of Doors. Considering her important place within the setting's mythos, this is something that should simply never have been allowed.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  17:24:30  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Is that Vecna himself on the cover?

I (as DM)love to know this!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2008 :  10:06:36  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heya!

I just read the Dragon (Insider) article over at WotC and noted the distinct absence of the fate of Alusair. The start of her reign is mentioned, and the rise to power of Azoun V. Will we get a story about her and the life inbetween those events somewhere - which meant that you could not make any further comments on that?

Zanan

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gćđ a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerűn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2008 :  16:04:17  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two timeline events were ommited from the final article which give a small bit of additional lore about Alusair. Beyond this, her fate remains unknown even to me.

1384 DR (Year of Three Streams Bloodied)
At the insistence of several members of Court and the young king himself, Azoun V is crowned King of Cormyr.
- Steel Regency ends. Alusair named High Marshal of the Realm, but spends most of her time in the Stonelands and West Reaches, visiting the Royal Court only rarely. Without the political support of his aunt, many of Azoun’s early reforms—most of them attempts to curtail formal but unexercised rights of the nobility—fail, causing a defection of many loyal factors

1390 DR (Year of the Walking Man)
Dowager Dragon Queen, Filfaeril Selazair Obarskyr, dies. Alusair attends the state funeral, argues briefly and privately with her nephew the king, and disappears altogether from Court. Rumors persist of her riding through the frontiers and borderlands, but no confirmed reports of her appearance exist following the burial of Filfaeril.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  00:23:51  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that. Methinks some of the death of the queen info is in Shadowdale - Scouring of the Land.

Gćđ a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerűn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  01:37:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Thanks for that. Methinks some of the death of the queen info is in Shadowdale - Scouring of the Land.

I don't think so. That module happens in 1375, according to the Grand History of the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  10:18:59  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

I don't think so. That module happens in 1375, according to the Grand History of the Realms.

Cannae be that book anyways, as it hasn't got much to do with Cormyr either. Dunno why that sprang to my mind, might have been the adventure that goes before that or something else. As in: disregard the previous post of mine.

Gćđ a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  18:35:37  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Two timeline events were ommited from the final article which give a small bit of additional lore about Alusair. Beyond this, her fate remains unknown even to me.

1384 DR (Year of Three Streams Bloodied)
At the insistence of several members of Court and the young king himself, Azoun V is crowned King of Cormyr.
- Steel Regency ends. Alusair named High Marshal of the Realm, but spends most of her time in the Stonelands and West Reaches, visiting the Royal Court only rarely. Without the political support of his aunt, many of Azoun’s early reforms—most of them attempts to curtail formal but unexercised rights of the nobility—fail, causing a defection of many loyal factors

1390 DR (Year of the Walking Man)
Dowager Dragon Queen, Filfaeril Selazair Obarskyr, dies. Alusair attends the state funeral, argues briefly and privately with her nephew the king, and disappears altogether from Court. Rumors persist of her riding through the frontiers and borderlands, but no confirmed reports of her appearance exist following the burial of Filfaeril.
These two didn't make it into the Cormyr piece, but they are revealed in the Spellplague: The Wailing Years feature from back in February.
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  03:24:32  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the work you've put into the Realms, Brian, as well as making yourself available here!

I'm a huge fan of searchable PDFs, and I wondered what's the best way to communicate to the DDI folks that your GHotR: Moonshaes lacks a download option--or if there's a purpose in the lack of an option?

It's too valuable to remain undownloadable!
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  14:54:37  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I wholeheartedly agree, but I suspect the DDI team doesn't have the resources to go back and PDF an older article. I may just make a PDF of it myself and post it here on Candlekeep! Give me a couple weeks though, as I'm still vacationing with my family.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  15:22:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat

Thanks for all the work you've put into the Realms, Brian, as well as making yourself available here!

I'm a huge fan of searchable PDFs, and I wondered what's the best way to communicate to the DDI folks that your GHotR: Moonshaes lacks a download option--or if there's a purpose in the lack of an option?

Actually, a lot of the recent stuff has been like that. WotC was really good, for a couple of years, at offering pdf downloads of everything. Now they've gotten away from that, which means we have to go back to copying and pasting into Word.

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  15:26:36  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would rock! Thanks, Brian!

Enjoy your vacation!
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  15:46:53  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Actually, a lot of the recent stuff has been like that. WotC was really good, for a couple of years, at offering pdf downloads of everything. Now they've gotten away from that, which means we have to go back to copying and pasting into Word.

That's frustrating! I only noticed it with the GHotR: Moonshae. Unfortunately, the Zhent Horseman was all set for download, but not my GHotR update.

I'll check who's point for the Dragon and Dungeon e-mags and try to communicate with them!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  16:54:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe it's Chris Perkins, least thats who was called on at Gencon when people asked about the DDI content.

quote:

I'll check who's point for the Dragon and Dungeon e-mags and try to communicate with them!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  18:27:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In that case, don't bother. The guy obviously doesn't care what we want.

Yeah, I copied that when it first came out into Word, but copying it into Adobe I hadn't even considered...

Question:
Brian, since your last article featuring Nobanion, he has been left conspicuously absent from the FRCG - do you have anything further you would like to add about his current 'condition'?

Just wondering if he is dead, or just being ignored, actually...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  22:20:23  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I believe it's Chris Perkins, least thats who was called on at Gencon when people asked about the DDI content.

quote:

Thanks, Kuje! I appreciate the lead!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  16:38:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another Question, about the new setting -

Is 'Returned Abeir' only taking the place of Maztica, as we all thought?

I'm wondering because I don't see any mention of Anchorome or Katashaka (your creation), and since we don't have a 'world view' (on purpose?), its really hard to tell whats around it.

Because it mentions Evermeet nearby, I get the impression that it replaced Anchorome, and NOT Maztica. Its a little confusing.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Aug 2008 16:39:52
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  18:16:45  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Question:
Brian, since your last article featuring Nobanion, he has been left conspicuously absent from the FRCG - do you have anything further you would like to add about his current 'condition'?
That's a very good question. I don't know the reasons why things ended up the way they did. I can only tell you what I observed. In the first draft of the FRCG I received, Nobanion was listed as a human druid leader of Gulthandor. Since my Spellplage: The Wailing Years article covered the Vilhon Wilds briefly, I took the opportunity to "upsize" Nobanion into an exarch. This was a compromise of course, but better in my eyes than Lord Firemane being a mere human. Apparently the article was not thoroughly reviewed by the powers-that-be before it was posted, so it was quickly edited to its current version. It was my understanding at the time that the “correct” version would be revealed in the FRCG. But it appears that Nobanion was simply removed from the text. So I guess that leaves all of us to use Nobanion in any way we see fit.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  20:20:46  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Evermeet, FRCG p.132 “An echo of the fey refuge remains in Toril as an isle with the same shape and diameter, lying off the coast of the unfamiliar continent of Returned Abeir.”
Like you Markus, I read this as Returned Abeir replacing the lands *North* of Maztica. Using the scale provided on both 4E maps, you also find that Returned Abeir isn’t all that big a place; hardly deserving the continent moniker.

Anyway, I put together a quick map I how I see the Trackless Sea in 1479 DR. You can view it at http://www.geonomicon.com/realms/4ETracklessSea.png

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  20:42:10  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing the map! It helps tremendously with visualization, Brian!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000