Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Brian R. James
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  17:00:01  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to our newest Realms designer, Brian R. James. I'm sure Brian's work needs no introduction, his Grand History of the Realms once graced the halls of Candlekeep and is now a full product produced by WotC.

Brian is also a scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this scribe.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  18:05:04  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Alaundo. I would be most happy to answer any questions from my friends here at Candlekeep.

For those that may not have seen it yet, Wizards.com posted a Spotlight Interview which covers some of the events which led to the publication of the Grand History.

View it at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4spot/20070921a

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  19:06:31  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Brian, I'm looking forward to seeing your Realmslore columns that you have been talking about. I've always enjoyed your work, and it will be fun to see some of it become "official."
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  00:56:29  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is certainly a level of satisfaction in knowing that your work will be deemed “official” or “canon” in the lore of the Realms. I also strive, however, to work just as diligently on other works of Realmslore such as the Candlekeep Compendium as I would a Realmslore column. In fact it’s a personal goal of mine that fans of the Forgotten Realms come to view resources such as Candlekeep Compendium as official or at least as well researched and useful to your campaign as anything Wizards produces.

Beyond the forthcoming Realmslore article on Ironfang Keep, I am currently in talks with Wizards to write at least one web enhancement for the Grand History. And I’m particularly excited to begin work on Candlekeep Compendium X which will feature articles set in lands beyond Faerūn.

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  01:34:18  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Brian. Got the Grand History recently, and I love it!

After reading so much lore, I was wondering.. if you could expand one section of the timeline, which would it be?
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  13:57:22  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

There is certainly a level of satisfaction in knowing that your work will be deemed “official” or “canon” in the lore of the Realms. I also strive, however, to work just as diligently on other works of Realmslore such as the Candlekeep Compendium as I would a Realmslore column. In fact it’s a personal goal of mine that fans of the Forgotten Realms come to view resources such as Candlekeep Compendium as official or at least as well researched and useful to your campaign as anything Wizards produces.

And Candlekeep Compendium isn“t official?

Hehehe, good news, Brian. I“m very interested in a "Toril“s explorer" article, detailing the news about Maztica e Zakhara.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  16:59:36  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're working on Compendium X, does that mean we get volume IX soon? :)

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  18:22:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by freyar

If you're working on Compendium X, does that mean we get volume IX soon? :)

I'm almost done with my editing, so it will hopefully be quite soon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  00:54:22  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Hey Brian. Got the Grand History recently, and I love it!

After reading so much lore, I was wondering.. if you could expand one section of the timeline, which would it be?

That’s a difficult question Uzzy. There are many regions of the Forgotten Realms that do not yet have detailed histories. Sembia springs to mind. The Moonshaes is another. Hell, I’d love to see an entire sourcebook on Lantan or Nimbral. But then there are all these lands beyond Faerūn that I’d love to see tied more closely into the lore of the greater Realms. So I guess I cannot really pick just one. I'd like to expand them all!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  04:16:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A man after my own heart.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  10:16:50  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about some of those white terra incognita regions? ;)

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  09:36:27  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might have been answered before, but why have the Ilythiiri been placed among the "green elves" in the entry about -27,000 DR (p. 8)? They have been dark elves all along, have they not? I'd doubt that they acquired their dark colour in those following years.

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  15:09:49  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

It might have been answered before, but why have the Ilythiiri been placed among the "green elves" in the entry about -27,000 DR (p. 8)? They have been dark elves all along, have they not? I'd doubt that they acquired their dark colour in those following years.

The Ilythiiri were but one tribe of the greater green elf population. Yes, they had darker skin than some of their green elf cousins but that is no different than various ethnic types of human found on Toril. From a D&D game point of view, “dark elves” did not become a statistically distinct race until the Descent of the Drow.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  15:29:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall, it was Cormanthyr that described the pre-Descent dark elves as "dusky," which I always assumed meant tanned/dark olive complexion.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  15:41:13  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Ilythiiri were but one tribe of the greater green elf population. Yes, they had darker skin than some of their green elf cousins but that is no different than various ethnic types of human found on Toril. From a D&D game point of view, “dark elves” did not become a statistically distinct race until the Descent of the Drow.

How recent or past is Dark Elves were Green Elves expained in canon?

Of course this does help explain a little bit why the surviving Dark Elves of Miyeritar were forced to Desend as well.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 07 Oct 2007 15:42:56
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  16:02:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Of course this does help explain a little bit why the surviving Dark Elves of Miyeritar were forced to Desend as well.
I actually kind of like George's take on this:-

"Seriously, my take on the dark elves into drow thing is that the Ilythiiri deserved it. Surviving Miyeritari on the whole deserved it too. Why? Well, it's likely that after the Dark Disaster, renegade Miyeritari dark elves turned to Ilythiir for aid - and likely were corrupted themselves in doing so.

My personal belief is that notwithstanding what the sources say, not every dark elf was transformed into drow in -10,000 DR. However, the ones that weren't were so few and scattered to the winds that their bloodlines played out with elven interbreeding over the years. That 50/50 chance for either sub-race rule is a bit like russian roulette when you are trying to maintain your race numbers."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  16:08:47  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that was the very first time I heard and read of a racial non-destinction between the "green elves" and the "dark elves". Obviously, not all "greens" need to be "wilds" or tribish woodland folk, but honestly, I am a bit disappointed here. The "gold elves" get their own entry, while the "dark elves" are put under the green carpet. I wonder why - at the ascendance of 4E - we have still that unecessary double naming of two elven subraces, when the last FRCS essentially gave us the word code for the Realms' elves: Suns, Woods, Wilds, Moons and Dark elves? (Star elves aside for a moment.) Gold and green are just "subtitles".

NB: No need for any explanation that make the above dark elves are green elves point more feasible. It is acceptable, but IMHO quite strange.

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Edited by - Zanan on 07 Oct 2007 16:12:22
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  18:27:24  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something else to ponder: The intimation in the Grand History (under the entry c. -25400 DR) is that a group of gold elves and a single silver elf fled to Toril to escape the destruction of their island kingdom. This establishes that the terms “gold elf” and “silver elf” originate from the world of Faerie. As these refugees intermarried with the local green elf populations, they created two new species of elves native to Toril, sun elf and moon elf. In present-day Faerūn, only a small handful of elves could claim to be a true gold elf; a direct pureblood descendant of Prince Durothil of Tintageer. No pureblood silver elves exist unless they independently gated to Toril from Faerie in the intervening years.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  18:30:38  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Grand History is the first sourcebook to establish this connection.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  19:45:59  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
No pureblood silver elves exist unless they independently gated to Toril from Faerie in the intervening years.

Actually, thinking of it this way, it tends to explain a little about the difference between silver and gold elf philosophies on things.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  02:17:33  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian, I thank you fot the answer, not one I an a fan of but so be it.

Say hi to your brother for me the next time you contact him. He knows me a little from SKR message board.

Further comment at this time as to my question would likely get me bannned, so I exit this thread for now.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  04:40:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The Grand History is the first sourcebook to establish this connection.

Count me among those who is a bit surprised at that, as well.

My question: Who the heck is Queen Rosalind of Evendale? Where and what is "Evendale"? This is regarding the entry (which I believe was public on the WotC site) about "bloodforges". This Queen Rosalind was mentioned, and I just have no clue as to who she is.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  05:45:27  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

My question: Who the heck is Queen Rosalind of Evendale? Where and what is "Evendale"? This is regarding the entry (which I believe was public on the WotC site) about "bloodforges". This Queen Rosalind was mentioned, and I just have no clue as to who she is.
Edenvale (not Evendale, but you make me check!) is one of the Five Kingdoms of the Utter East. The kingdoms of the Utter East are located southeast of Ulgarth at the continental junction between Faerūn, Kara-Tur, and Zakhara. Queen Rosalind is mentioned in the novel Faces of Deception by Troy Denning.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  02:30:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Edenvale (not Evendale, but you make me check!) is one of the Five Kingdoms of the Utter East. The kingdoms of the Utter East are located southeast of Ulgarth at the continental junction between Faerūn, Kara-Tur, and Zakhara. Queen Rosalind is mentioned in the novel Faces of Deception by Troy Denning.

Thank you!

EDENvale? Hmmm, strange name.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  18:26:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check my Utter East Map here at the Keep.

I had a more 'canon' version up, but Alaundo saw fit to use the one from the Utter East campaign I'm working on.

Anyhow, the Five Kingdoms are canon, as are MOST of the locations. The forests were my idea, and the Loxo nation of Sragadha was thought up by another campaign contributer (but the name is mine). The small peninsula it is located on I found on the FRIA map. Some locales were extrapolated from the video game (Blood & Magic) that came out about this region.

Note that there are only Four Kingdoms, even though they are referred to as the 'Five Kingdoms', the meaning of which is lost in the mists of time. Ulgarth is NOT one of the Five Kingdoms (nor is the now-defunct Thommar).

Anyhow, I do indeed have a question -

Brian, who worked on the timeline for most of the Eastern Bits?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  20:37:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Check my Utter East Map here at the Keep.

Will do, thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  17:22:25  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Hey, Brian, how did they convince you to include the incorrect date for The Sundering?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  02:23:41  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Hey, Brian, how did they convince you to include the incorrect date for The Sundering?
Wow, that's a loaded question. Basically others with more seniority than myself felt the other date was more correct. Click to this thread to see differing opinions including my own: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7985

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  04:53:51  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow, that's a loaded question.[/br]

-I know, I know. Did you at least bring that up to them, and discuss?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  22:04:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
were the giants in Grey a made up thing, or is there some resource that it came from. They just intrigue me.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  01:14:24  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

were the giants in Grey a made up thing, or is there some resource that it came from. They just intrigue me.

One of the Kara-Tur designers mentioned them in an Oriental Adventures module. I do not recall which one. I agree, they are very intriguing.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000