Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 4e rule changes you would like to see
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Thevail
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  04:12:18  Show Profile  Visit Thevail's Homepage Send Thevail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see something to do in that "thousand points of light" wilderness besides kill things that live in it for the XP.

Can we please have some decent way of awarding xp for cleverness instead of deadliness.

This is just my opinion, this and a buck will get you most of a cup of coffee. All standard disclaimers apply.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  04:20:30  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Never I would go back to 2E monster blocks, but 3E had a problem too, using the same building blocks for PC/NPCs caused a lot of nearly identical monsters (orcs, goblins and hobgoblins is an example).

I hope 4E will give us meaningful difference between monsters, and ideas to use them to create interesting encounters (in some cases, non-combat ones).

IMHO, all the ecology fluff can be made on the fly without rules when such information is needed.

Edit : When I say that I want really different orcs and goblins, I'm not talking about a little fluffly text saying how they are, I want to see it in the way they interract (using rules) with the PCs.

As sirreus pointed out to one of the new members of our group,"Get ready for when he runs, every creature on the board will have some class levels." You mentioned "using the same building blocks for PC/NPCs" and that is one of the things I enjoyed most about 3E. As a DM I can easily make any encounter a challenge. Goblins for instance are no longer simply fodder for low-level characters. I can tack on a few levels of fighter and make a a goblin encounter enjoyable at any level of play. Personally, having rules for interaction between monsters and PCs is a waste of space, I consider that to be my job as DM.

Darkmeer might remember the Grodd goblin shadowcaster that knocked a few of the PCs on their posteriors when they were rather high level. he didn't live too long, but they really weren't expecting a chain lightning effect out of the "little goblin shaman" either.
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  05:24:43  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Darkmeer might remember the Grodd goblin shadowcaster that knocked a few of the PCs on their posteriors when they were rather high level. he didn't live too long, but they really weren't expecting a chain lightning effect out of the "little goblin shaman" either.

I thought it was a NORMAL goblin... Now it all makes sense *sounds of random cursing in KEJR's general direction*

It was one heck of an encounter, that's for certain.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000