Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Olympus & Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2007 :  20:00:37  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just bought Tales From the Outer Planes, which begins (and returns) to Arabel. One of the adventures takes the characters to Olympus, and I'm now wondering if anyone here has read Relics & Rituals: Olympus (from Sword & Sorcery Press) and integrated it into their Forgotten Realms campaign? Is there an easy fit? I've been able to use other S&S books with few or no problems, but the Olympus book is a tad pricey to buy on a whim. Help, please!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2007 :  20:40:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have it and it's sitting right next to me. I've looked through it a few times because I have a FR solo game where the player is a now a deity and some of the Greek deities have been making alliances with him or teasing him.

As for the book it does have some nice info in it.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2007 :  22:27:43  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I have it and it's sitting right next to me. I've looked through it a few times because I have a FR solo game where the player is a now a deity and some of the Greek deities have been making alliances with him or teasing him.

As for the book it does have some nice info in it.

An even better book is Relics & Rituals: Excalibur. The knight class presented there is a better 3.5 knight in my opinion, and I think that it makes more sense if you are wanting to play a knight from Cormyr. Also, some of the prestige classes are pretty cool too. I've even toyed with running an historical campaign set during our own Crusades for my players, and have been giving the 2nd Edition book The Crusades a look over.

And I realize that I've totally went off topic. Sorry guys!

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2007 :  23:06:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Zn even better book is Relics & Rituals: Excalibur. The knight class presented there is a better 3.5 knight in my opinion, and I think that it makes more sense if you are wanting to play a knight from Cormyr. Also, some of the prestige classes are pretty cool too. I've even toyed with running an historical campaign set during our own Crusades for my players, and have been giving the 2nd Edition book The Crusades a look over.

And I realize that I've totally went off topic. Sorry guys!

Indeed, I like the Excalibur book just as well but then again I've always liked most of the S&SS books so I'm not surprised.

Speaking of, I gotta call the comic guy and see if City of Brass is in, finally.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  01:40:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for reminding me Kuje... I'd forgotten about City of Brass myself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  02:23:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Thanks for reminding me Kuje... I'd forgotten about City of Brass myself.

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  10:35:47  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This scroll reminds me of my confusion when I read “Evermeet”, where Avandor is described as part of Olympus. This contradicts established lore of the planes in the FRCS and the PGtF, but after searching Candlekeep I learned that it is the 2e Arvandor.

To make things more complicated, there is even another usage of Olympus as realm of the greek gods (which doesn’t appear in FRCS or PGtF, but that doesn’t mean that this plane is not there, like a few other planes like Limbo). I am not sure if this (greek) Olympus also contains Arvandor in 2e so that Elfen and Greek Gods were neighbours in 2e.

But using Olympus in the Realms, to which people would it link? In the case of Heliopolis, it is connected to Mulhorand and its people, but I don’t know of any human or other people venerating greek gods in Faerun.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links • 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  16:38:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

I am not sure if this (greek) Olympus also contains Arvandor in 2e so that Elfen and Greek Gods were neighbours in 2e.

But using Olympus in the Realms, to which people would it link? In the case of Heliopolis, it is connected to Mulhorand and its people, but I don’t know of any human or other people venerating greek gods in Faerun.

They did share the same plane in 2e.

As for the 3e/3.5e FR cosmology you could make it a separate plane or you could use the Wheel/Ring's version and just make a portal(s)/planar gateways to it from Arvandor.... Or use the World Ash to connect it to Olympus since the World Ash, most likely, expands into the other cosmologies just like Sigil does.

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  17:51:03  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

They did share the same plane in 2e.

As for the 3e/3.5e FR cosmology you could make it a separate plane or you could use the Wheel/Ring's version and just make a portal(s)/planar gateways to it from Arvandor.... Or use the World Ash to connect it to Olympus since the World Ash, most likely, expands into the other cosmologies just like Sigil does.

Sigil is of course a good way to link Olympus to the Faerunian cosmology, and so is the Infinite Staircase.

But then these greek gods should be treated as members of a non-Faerunian (or even non-Torilian) pantheon, since there seems to be no “userbase” in Faerun, and gods without worshippers will disappear.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links • 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  19:07:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beshaba and Tymora were once the Greek goddess Tyche... If anything remains of Tyche's realm, it could have a portal to Olympus.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  19:29:19  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At one time wasn't there some conjecture that Sune might have some connection to Aphrodite and Gond to Hephastus? Or is this just my mind filling in blanks. I was just wondering, because perhaps if they "came over" to the Realms further back in its history, the more they have "adapted" to the local customs, gotten new names, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  19:49:38  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I consider the book well-recommended now!

I wasn't planning to use the Excalibur book -- my own game world is linked to the Grail legend. Olympus, however, can be accessed in Arabel ... well sort-of sideways through Arabel's space-time, like a ... ah ... oh, Miss Emily Litella gave the very best explanation of how these multi-portals work, when she said, "Never mind ...."

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 25 Aug 2007 19:51:18
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  20:23:30  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We know that Tyche's divine realm was named Olympus. And there is good reason to believe that it was once part of the plane of Arvandor, although what remains of her realm are part of Brightwater now.

When Tyche interloped into Toril and set up her divine realm, she would called it Olympus in honor of the plane she hailed from--or perhaps just out of habit.

We don't know why Tyche settled with the elves in Arvandor. Perhaps it was an alliance forged back during the War of Light and Darkness between Selūne and Shar, when the Seldarine and Tyche answered Selūne's call for aid against Shar's fiendish hordes. Or perhaps it was a debt the Seldarine owed to Tyche for her throwing her lot in with them in their war against the Giant pantheon to seize the territory of Arvandor from the Jotuns (there are still giant ruins in Arvandor to this day.)

When Tyche split into Beshaba and Tymora during the Dawn Cataclysm, Beshaba abandoned Olympus to found a new divine realm on a more suitably darker plane, along the River of Blood. Tymora kept Tyche's realm, but no longer tied to Tyche's Greek origins, the name of the realm changed over time and came to be called the Palace/Quarter of the Great Wheel.

Eventually, Sune arose as a goddess. I suspect she is the daughter of Selūne and Lathander, but some have suggested she may be an interloping fragment of Venus, perhaps by way of Chessenta, whose ancestors may have been brought over in ancient times from Earth's Greece or Rome. Whatever her origin, Sune dwelled for a time with Selūne in the Gates of the Moon, where Selūne doted on Sune as either mother or mentor for a number of centuries. Sune eventually became enamored with the elven goddess of love, Hanali Celanil, and thus came to abide in Arvandor. She nestled her divine realm between Olympus and Hanali's Crystal Palace, abutting the Evergold.

At some point Lliira came to dwell there too. A thriving city began to evolve around their 3 realms. The city came to be known as Brightwater (presumably named after the waters of the Evergold river that flowed through the town) and it was mostly populated by the human petitioners of the three goddesses. This unified plane comprising Arvandor and Brightwater may have been called Arborea in some cultures and languages of the Realms.

But what is clear is that the pastoral elven paradise of Arvandor, and the cosmopolitan, humano-centric celestial city of Brightwater had evolved into divergent heavens, creating a cognitive dissonance that split the plane in two. We are told in the Planes of Chaos box set that Brightwater is only 50 years old.

Given the time frame in which the box set was released and what was going on in Faerun around that time, I would put the founding of Brightwater as a separate plane sometime around 1312 DR, give or take. That is purely a conjectured date, but if you figure that the elves do their great magics around the feast of Cinaelos' Cor, then it was probably a year in which a Shieldmeet occured. You could also make a case for 1308 DR, but either way I figure it happened sometime around then.

Not sure if this was a natural splitting, maybe the planes just split apart one day, or if it was effected with a ritual of some kind. I don't know if the impetus for this was an elven desire to keep Arvandor racially pure, perhaps a wave of anti-human fervor in Arvandor that overtook the populace after the elven retreat began on Toril. I don't know if the Seldarine just simply evicted the hedonistic trinity of human goddesses. Not sure if Sune, Lliira and Tymora just wanted their own pad. I would like to think it was a mutually agreeable parting of the ways, with the elves and the human gods tearfully and joyfully celebrating their parting of the ways and performing the ritual together to split the plane.

The result is that Brightwater (formerly Olympus) and Arvandor are now separate planes. But it is interesting that they still share a transplanar feature, the Evergold, which exists on both planes at once. This fountain of golden water is the wellspring from which the Evergold River streams in Arvandor and the source of the Brightwater River that runs through Brightwater, from which the plane and city take their name. I imagine that before the splitting of the planes the Brightwater and the Evergold were once the same river.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  00:59:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never used that one, but I own quite a few others by S&S. Being a Warcraft fan, those were an easy choice, and the Beyond Countless Doorways is a Planescape fan's must-have.

I guess I'll have to grab that Olympus book at some point.

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

An even better book is Relics & Rituals: Excalibur. The knight class presented there is a better 3.5 knight in my opinion, and I think that it makes more sense if you are wanting to play a knight from Cormyr. Also, some of the prestige classes are pretty cool too. I've even toyed with running an historical campaign set during our own Crusades for my players, and have been giving the 2nd Edition book The Crusades a look over.
I have to look into that - I've been thinking about doing an 'alternate Earth' game for awhile now, something set in a world similar to what we see in the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen, but only set a few hundred years back. Maybe I should look into that tome...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  19:57:18  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're veering away from my original intent for this scroll, but Gray Richardson's mention of Sune makes me want to point out two factoids that may have escaped the attention of some DMs: in Realmspace, the deity with the highest "divine rank" is Chauntea, and the deity with access to the highest level spell slot is neither Mystra nor Shar, but Sune. So much for jokes about her being just a ditzy redhead!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  20:21:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

We're veering away from my original intent for this scroll, but Gray Richardson's mention of Sune makes me want to point out two factoids that may have escaped the attention of some DMs: in Realmspace, the deity with the highest "divine rank" is Chauntea, and the deity with access to the highest level spell slot is neither Mystra nor Shar, but Sune. So much for jokes about her being just a ditzy redhead!

She seduced it out of someone.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000