Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What is your favorite weapon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

darkhuntress
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  04:59:41  Show Profile  Visit darkhuntress's Homepage Send darkhuntress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daisho! (Katana + wakizashi) A few years back I had a 2E female Ronin Paladin who dual wielded them and turned heads every time she fought, when she didn't lop them off! She was so much fun to play--think a female Auron from Final Fantasy 10 and that about summed up that character.

Other than katanas, I have to say scimitars. What can I say? I'm a sucker for curvy blades. :)

"Do not mistake our kindness for gullibility, nor our hesitance to draw blades for cowardice. Contrary to what the spider kissers would have you believe, Dark Ladies are not addle-brained, pacifist weaklings. We'd have all died a long time ago if that were the case." --Lady Kariza de'Camyras, High Priestess of the Temple of the Silver Crescent
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  09:47:08  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd take the whip - to drive along the pesky orc and goblin fodder!

Errr........ than again, as being a Halforc Ranger of Mielliki, probably not! I would rather take my Sword and Handaxe (but the combo was not an option to vote for....)

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 28 Sep 2007 09:47:39
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2007 :  18:13:23  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
has anyone seen the Murcurial Longsword? it has the same stats as the mundane version but has a crit of 20/x4. it is slightly heavier than the old one, and requires you to take EWP in it or suffer a -6(instead of -4, for you who are new, or just dont remember), but if you are a fighter, bent on wielding a longsword, this might be a good idea. htey also have a mercurial greatsword with the same concept(penalties and such). but no murcurial fullblade!

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2007 :  20:27:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darkhuntress

Daisho! (Katana + wakizashi) A few years back I had a 2E female Ronin Paladin who dual wielded them and turned heads every time she fought, when she didn't lop them off! She was so much fun to play--think a female Auron from Final Fantasy 10 and that about summed up that character.

Other than katanas, I have to say scimitars. What can I say? I'm a sucker for curvy blades. :)

In 2E, I played a kensai with a katana... With specialization in the katana and two-handed specialization, he kicked some serious butt! The combined bonuses meant that the weapon speed was just 1, so he often got off both attacks before anyone else could do their first one!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2007 :  21:21:10  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Twin swords and bare fists...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2007 :  02:30:39  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My choice would be the spellbook...with a heavy dose of scrolls for good measure to summon creatures in a bind.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Falstaffsrevenge
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2007 :  23:03:13  Show Profile Send Falstaffsrevenge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on the character that I am playing, but mostly a morning star, (thief, warrior, or cleric). With the alt. rule that you can make it blug. or piercing. If I am playing a barbarian I like to use a shamshir (sp), think if a greatsword and scimitar had a child.

Some friends are like slinkies, not much use, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down stairs.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  10:35:26  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Battle Axe i voted!!! But i prefer the two-handed axe....

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Elestar
Acolyte

Hungary
27 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2007 :  20:26:31  Show Profile  Visit Elestar's Homepage Send Elestar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Staff and Spellbook are both important. I am uneasy to consider the spellbook as a weapon however, because not all the spells prepared in a spellbok are only for combat, though I can imagine that a battle wizard's spellbook might be filled only with those of course.

Player characers' descriptions
are liked in my Profile

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||
#8194;H o u s e #8194; E l e s t a r#8195;
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Go to Top of Page

Shilo99
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2007 :  14:14:56  Show Profile  Visit Shilo99's Homepage Send Shilo99 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it was me: sword & shield- it gives you options (and I'm scared of being hurt, so want lots of defence).
In my PCs: In 2e lots of two-weaponed PCs. 3e lots of 1-handed weapons PCs, doing all sorts of things with the off-hand (light sources, capes, holy symbols, tipping stuff over, insulting gestures etc.)
Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  06:30:58  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dagger and a sword like a certain assassin we all know and love only if i could get his ballin' vampire dagger and his blade that can summon ash to fall...otherwise i would go with longbow. you can all die in the front lines

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile
Go to Top of Page

Stonwulfe
Seeker

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  06:34:20  Show Profile  Visit Stonwulfe's Homepage Send Stonwulfe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The mind. No, I don't mean psionics. I mean cunning, tact, and attentive awareness.

One of my earliest wizard characters killed a powerful orc chieftain with a well-placed ray of frost to the chain supporting a heavy tavern sign. Chain broke, sign swung down, orc skull custard coming right up!

If one is ever on the lookout for opportunity, Tymora doesn't disappoint.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  15:18:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stonwulfe

The mind. No, I don't mean psionics. I mean cunning, tact, and attentive awareness.

I like that answer.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 11 Jan 2008 15:21:14
Go to Top of Page

TheLemming
Acolyte

Austria
16 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2008 :  18:11:38  Show Profile  Visit TheLemming's Homepage Send TheLemming a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I would pick a scythe - it's a nice flair to have a fighter swing one of those large weapons - cleaving through goblins, orcs and other vermin ;) -
and it makes for excellent descriptions
Go to Top of Page

tenacious1
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2008 :  19:37:04  Show Profile  Visit tenacious1's Homepage Send tenacious1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It REALLY depends on the character concept as many stated. I voted Sword and Shield, but have soft spot for the all powerful, u83r |33t, if you will.... SLING! Love the sling because of a character of mine. He was rather hapless actually when it came to being "effective" but a blast to RP.

If I had to give a second, it would be Battleaxe for dwarves.

Go to Top of Page

Kilsek
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  17:42:25  Show Profile  Visit Kilsek's Homepage Send Kilsek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
anything that will Kill Ebberon

Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons | Our new Minis Price guide | Geeked D&D Banner Exchange
Jiv'elgg lueth jiv'undus phuul jivvin. L'elamshin d'lil Ilythiiri zhah ulu har'luth jal.
Torture and pain are fun. The destiny of the Drow is to conquer all.
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  21:58:38  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats not cool man I like ebberon

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Edited by - riot the outsider on 15 Aug 2008 07:26:30
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2008 :  01:00:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a little drastic Kilsek, don't you think? Expressing a simple dislike would've been more appropriate.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  17:06:33  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sword and spell!

Hammers High!

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  17:41:12  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like a nice pair of twin swords. Scimitars, long swords, or particularly sabers. I also love the bare-fisted skills of a monk! And don't sell the spellbook short, guys- it can be a weapon in itself, in a pinch! Run out of spells? Just start smackin em on the heads with it!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2010 :  11:39:21  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted twin swords, but in reality it's double weapons. Anything - double sword, orc double axe, urgrosh...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2010 :  17:53:42  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes... One of my longest-running PC's uses a blade-staff (double longsword). She's an EVIL little witch, though- has it enchanted on both ends with the spell Sadism (+1 attk & dmg bonus for every 10 HP damage inflicted- cumulative), and with added Vampiric quality! Plus the halves can separate into two swords. Ye-ouch!

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2010 :  15:10:09  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didnt see the Cutlass on the list. 18-20 Critical Slashing and Piercing damage and a basket hilt to bash someone in the mouth when they brag you missed them with that slice? Always a favorite of mine. Any weapon that can deal out All three Blunt Slashing and Piercing damage is perfect for me, it covers all situations--going up against goblins, skeletons or zombies...Oh MY!
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  06:47:37  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite sorcerer/fighter had a doublebladed sword.

I also had an awesome halfing ranger that wielded a battle axe when he wasn't using his bow.

Most uncommon warrior I used was a fighter that gotten all the shield feats, and would used his spiked shield to fight. (Tossing it like Captain America, could use it to trip people, even could use it for his touch AC).

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  07:18:32  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Broad Sword(I prefer a Great Sword.)
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  09:44:32  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saxmilian

Didnt see the Cutlass on the list. 18-20 Critical Slashing and Piercing damage and a basket hilt to bash someone in the mouth when they brag you missed them with that slice? Always a favorite of mine. Any weapon that can deal out All three Blunt Slashing and Piercing damage is perfect for me, it covers all situations--going up against goblins, skeletons or zombies...Oh MY!

What sourcebook is cutlass in then?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  00:53:34  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgotten Realms Campaign setting pg.97...though MY BAD the Crit is 19-20...ooops just hopeful I guess...or I had Improved Critical
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  01:03:56  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, my big-bad drow pirate "king" uses a cutlass and whip combo. He's rather dangerous with them! He's also my bard's daddy, and rather peeved that junior went AWOL, even sending his half-sis (that nasty little half-blood with the doulbe-sword I mentioned) after him to drag him home. Who needs enemies when you've got family?! (The bard's situation is one of my big plot-hooks for campaigns.)

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  08:02:40  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would vote for a whip if it could be slightly modified to have blades or be made of metal parts.

The thing is I like weapons that can change their properties like double swords that can become separate, sword that can elongate like whip or something like that.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.

Edited by - Sill Alias on 23 Jul 2010 08:07:35
Go to Top of Page

Balduran Lavidah
Seeker

France
83 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  16:45:16  Show Profile  Visit Balduran Lavidah's Homepage Send Balduran Lavidah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Réponse du français : le bâton

Cela semble bizarre, mais le bâton symbolise l'outil même de l'aventurier. Elle aide à la fois à marcher que à se défendre. Sa forme est variable et on peut l'adapter à sa préférence. Etant fragile, on le remplace et on peut ainsi évoluer différemment.

Question pertinante : l'épée est-elle née de la forme du bâton ? :)

Answer of French: the staff

It seems strange, but the staff represents the tool even of the venturer . It helps at the same time to walk that to defend itself. His form is variable and they can adapt it in his priority. Being fragile, they replace it and they can so evolve in another way.

Question pertinante: the sword is it born in the form of the staff ? :)

"Le savoir s'apprend. La curiosité forme le savoir."

Edited by - Balduran Lavidah on 23 Jul 2010 16:51:47
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000