Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What is your favorite weapon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

unknown warrior
Acolyte

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  06:35:46  Show Profile  Visit unknown warrior's Homepage Send unknown warrior a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
if u went to war whatwould be your choseout of these.

Mod Edit: I've just altered the scroll title a little... They've been bothering me.

Choices:

broad sword
twin swords
sheild and sword
sword and dagger
wand
staff
battle ax
whip
spell book
scimatar/scimatars
bare fist
war hammer/mawl

(Anonymous Vote)

Don't stand in my way.

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Aug 2007 14:34:49

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  01:05:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I have a favorite weapon--not much of a warrior by nature. And I think a gun would be better than most (if not all) of those mentioned.

For a character? Spellbook.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 17 Aug 2007 01:06:19
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  02:24:52  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tac Nukes...

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  04:57:24  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hard to vote here. It really depends on the character I have developed.

Edited by - scererar on 17 Aug 2007 04:57:47
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  05:44:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

That would be my vote, too... Amongst my four favorite characters (that I've played), the weapons of choice were: 2 rapiers (one for a thief with the swashbuckler kit, one for a fighter-mage with the aristocrat kit; this was, obviously, in 2E), a katana (a 2E kensai), and a bastard sword (a minotaur warrior, again, 2E).

Though there are preferences, it all depends on the character concept.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Aug 2007 05:45:21
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  05:46:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Tac Nukes...

Oh, like Bigby's Crushing Tactical Nuke?

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  06:17:23  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well a better weapon than the other guy is an obvious one for me. Now, bad jokes aside, I would have to say bastard sword and bow. From the list above sword and shield.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  06:22:01  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

. . . and a bastard sword (a minotaur warrior, again, 2E).

I remember all of the, what would now be called exotic weapons, that the minotaurs ended up with in the 2nd edition Tales of the Lance set. I still liked the idea of a Minotaur dual wielding broadswords or flails though . . .
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  08:12:24  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Tac Nukes...

Oh, like Bigby's Crushing Tactical Nuke?

Was thinking more like a Dragon Slave from Slayers that Lina Inverse casts.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  08:13:19  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Quite true.

Typically though, my weapon choice is Long Sword to start with, and once I get higher in levels, I go with 2 Long Swords.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  10:14:33  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A sock filled with sand.

Gets the poor guards every time.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  10:31:31  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

A sock filled with sand.

The poor Saps...

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  11:13:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

A sock filled with sand.

The poor Saps...

*groans* That's bad... I approve!

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  11:39:19  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose a whip because the uniform that accompanies it is fun. However, the main reason I chose the whip is so I can whip some other suckers into battle for me.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  13:03:19  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kiaransalyn,

I am intrigued... frightened, but, curse it all, very intrigued... Curiosity killed the kobold...
Ahem, anyway, back on topic, out of the list above I would pick sword and shield, specifically, long sword and buckler as was used in the late 1400's. Unless of course the wand you mention is a Wand of Fireballs...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Pharaun Mizzrym
Acolyte

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  21:20:49  Show Profile  Visit Pharaun Mizzrym's Homepage Send Pharaun Mizzrym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sword and Dagger because of my good friend Artemis
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  21:51:38  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fighting is hard work. Spellbook usage would be much easier, depending on the circumstances of course.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  02:33:13  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sword and shield, with a big emphasis on shield... 'cause I'm a coward and if truly faced against other men with long knives and twirling flails... well... I'd be really glad to have a shield!

That, and also because a sword is somewhat easier to master than a warhammer or a [gasp!] whip! everytime you swing a sword, you get three feet of sharp metal going one way... 3 feet: you're bound to bounce some part of that sword against something!! which means the other fools will be on the constant defensive against you... (especially those with NO shield, and something as silly as a whip! )
Go to Top of Page

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  04:47:46  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How bout a katana? I would say a katana on main hand and short sword on offhand. Unless other weapons have higher magical properties, few blades can match the samurai's companion in quality, efficiency or beauty.

Also a slender scimitar on main hand and a short sword on off hand. (Not those oversized butcher knives favored by genies and efreeti)

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.
Go to Top of Page

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  04:49:01  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pharaun Mizzrym

Sword and Dagger because of my good friend Artemis

I hear ya.

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  06:41:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranin

How bout a katana? I would say a katana on main hand and short sword on offhand. Unless other weapons have higher magical properties, few blades can match the samurai's companion in quality, efficiency or beauty.

Also a slender scimitar on main hand and a short sword on off hand. (Not those oversized butcher knives favored by genies and efreeti)

The shorter version of the katana, which was often paired with the katana, was the wakizashi. Together, the pair was called a daisho. I don't know a lot about Eastern weaponry, but I do know that bit of trivia.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Sep 2007 06:42:59
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  09:22:24  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whip..And whey... Thats personal

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 12 Sep 2007 09:22:52
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  16:33:49  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its all about character, but i like the idea of carrying a greatsword
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  17:35:38  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the maul - cracker of skulls, auto door opener, general banging, and bigger than your warhammer.

"where titans fall;this is where i tread." Morhvast the Mighty

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

Selrahc
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  17:13:41  Show Profile  Visit Selrahc's Homepage Send Selrahc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A single slender scimitar, with a vast amount of throwing daggers, and a bow and some arrows. Perhaps even using one of the throwing daggers in my second hand to aid in the blocking attempts.

The elven Ranger, Selrahc Wil'heim Lao'in
and
The elven Wizard, Shynik L'eoul
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  04:08:36  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for broad sword since it was the closest to my favorite weapon, the greatsword. I play fighters often and find that two-handed weapons are the best for characters with high strength scores. Add the power attack feat and you can deal serious damage.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  18:59:57  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm... I thought you had to be a follower of Loviatar or a Red Wizard (at least from Thay) in order to choose whip!
Not that I'd ever wield a weapon (since I hate the D20 combat rules), but I usually favor wielding dual scimitars (not Drizzt - I use scimitars for show IRL), since it becomes more of a powerful (in the limb cutting way) dance than actual slashing.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  15:09:28  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think Zorro was either of those.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Ugly is the new black
Seeker

Australia
81 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  10:19:04  Show Profile  Visit Ugly is the new black's Homepage Send Ugly is the new black a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm inclined to agree. I've always been a fan of "sword-and-board"-type characters, but unfortunately, standard D20 systems heavilly favour two-handed combat. Shields just aren't effective unless you're using variant combat defense rules, and that's a real shame.

love,
nathan.

As he knelt on the ground with his brothers around and the taste of his blood on his tongue,
His brothers knelt by him and prayed him a prayer, and he smiled and he laughed and he sung,
"Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman's taken my life,
But what does it matter? For all men must die, and I've tasted the Dornishman's wife!"
Go to Top of Page

King Oscar
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  23:32:45  Show Profile  Visit King Oscar's Homepage Send King Oscar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Twin wands, Channel Charged!

And entering into the prestige class so I can take a ton of actions!
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  17:10:46  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
these are very broad weapon categories, but if I had to choose, i guess i'd go with broadsword.

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000