Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Advice for Intro. to FR campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gargauth
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2007 :  14:06:29  Show Profile  Visit Gargauth's Homepage Send Gargauth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I want to run a FR campaign for three players who don't know much at all about FR (but are experienced gamers). What I really want is a storyline that encompasses the -essence- of a classic, back in the day FR experience. I want to set it in Shadowdale because I feel that is the most iconic setting for a new FR campaign and I want to set it at some point in the past, because I can't imagine how complicated it would be to explain to my players all that has happened since the game's release. I think I would even consider going back before the ToT. I think the enemies they face will be relegated to four groups: Zhents, Red Wizards, Cult of the Dragon, and Drow. I know it sounds like I have it all planned out, but I am still well within the brainstorming stage. I am new to the boards here and would LOVE some advice, as much as possible, about possible storylines, other places to visit (Cormyr, Waterdeep, etc.) that are essential to a Survey of the Realms type thing, NPCs, etc. Really anything you can think of, the more the better. Also, if you think this is a waste of time and I would do just as well to explain the backstory... let me know that too. Cheers and thanks in advance!

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2007 :  14:16:23  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if the players are new to the Realms I would not throw everything at them at once. One idea is to set the campaign during the wars against Lashan of Scardale. Several foreign powers can have agents involved in the chaos then found in the dales and rumours (both true and untrue) will flourish. There is also the recent troubles in Shadowdale at that time, which is bound to cause wild stories about the plans of foreign groups.

With the elves leaving Cormanthor at the same time ancient treasures and unscrupulous characters are common in the wilder parts of the Dalelands.

Sorry, but that is all I have time to think of right now; good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2007 :  15:52:27  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Candlekeep! Having only been involved with the Realms since the advent of 3ed, you're going back a bit before my time. But I will say that both of the places you mentioned as other places to visit are good ones. Waterdeep to me really exemplifies the "Realms feel" while Cormyr's regulations regarding adventurers always makes it an interesting place to set a campaign. I would suggest checking out some of the 2ed adventures set in that area around the time you are wanting to begin the campaign to give you additional ideas to work with.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1407 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2007 :  16:56:48  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would just like to suggest the adventure 'Galath's Roost' found in Dungeon #87 which pits the players againts the Zhentarim and is set in Mistledale.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2007 :  13:12:55  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd suggest three possible locations that exemplify the 'feel' of the Realms: the Dalelands, the Western Heartlands (Scornubel, for example) or Waterdeep.

We started a new campaign back in January with two newbie players who had no prior knowledge of role-playing or the D&D rules (they had played some computer games, but nothing related to D&D or FR). The DM decided to set the campaign in Waterdeep, which is a perfect setting for new players due to its cosmopolitan nature. All the characters were from the same small hamlet near Waterdeep, and had decided to explore the thrills (and fortunes) of urban life together.

We gave our newbies a single page of "facts" (and rumours) about Waterdeep and its citizens, showed them the map of Faerūn and Waterdeep. We explained a bit about life in the North and gave a brief descriptions of religions. Personally, I'd have given them more details and 'hard facts' (about the Savage Frontier, its history, its geography, cities, etc.) but our DM just said: "Their characters are from a small farming hamlet, and know very little about the wider world beyond Waterdeep. We can tell them more as things come up or if they want to ask something that their characters would know about.". This has worked just fine - so they (the players) did not know about the Zhentarim or the Cult of the Dragon, so when we came across their symbols, our DM told them some vague rumours they had heard about these sinister organizations.

In retrospect, any type of 'detailed infodumping' would have probably only confused our newbies, and they wouldn't have remembered half of it in the long run. Besides, they said it is more fun and exciting to learn about evil religions, organizations, geography, history, monsters, magic and politics through exploration (adventuring) and I concur - I still remember when I bumped into my first Banite, or heard about Netheril or the Days of Thunder for the first time.

I'd suggest that you'd try the same - your 'FR newbies' could create characters that are from a small and remote hamlet. That way they'd only know primarily about local matters and the nearest cities (and about some major events, such as the Time of Troubles). You can always drop more details and facts 'in-game'.

If your players wish to know more, there is (IIRC) a good recap on the events of the last years in Player's Guide to Faerūn.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2007 :  14:08:14  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One question, what Realms products do you have available? If you want to run an adventure before the Time of Troubles the Gray Box would be very useful as it takes place at this time. Using the Realms from this era and forward also gives you the possibility to chose the direction you want the Realms to take and which of the events introduced in game products you want to use.
Also, do you have an idea of which sort of characters your players will use? The Dales at that time is one of the most interesting areas and it is a short way to Cormyr and other lands so any sort of adventure you would like to run will work.
Go to Top of Page

Gargauth
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2007 :  14:40:40  Show Profile  Visit Gargauth's Homepage Send Gargauth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have virtually every major FR product ever published... 1st Ed. Gray Box included. I was thinking about letting them deal with Lashan to begin things.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2007 :  15:23:43  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if the players have little knowledge of the Realms beforehand, why not let them start at the time of Lashans rise to power (a year or so before the war starts), so that they can take part in the intrigues leading up to the war and then (when they reach 3 or 4th level) take part in the military operations? This will give them a feeling of being involved in the development of the lands and introduce several of the political groups in a slow and natural way. Zenthish manipulations, sembian weapons smugglers, Vilhon mercenarys etc. The uncertainty of the elves and the actions of Cormyr. The players could be sent on a diplomatic errand for one of the Dales to the Forrest kingdom.

All of this could lead to them following Lashan into the Elven Woods. After the fall of Scardale there would still be plenty of loose threads and subplots you could have the PC's follow.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2007 :  05:19:35  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Start out slow, with only local general lore. then work out from where you start your campaign. I would check out the dales first. Cormyr second.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000