Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Chess Sets in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  20:52:23  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello.

I've been wondering for a while now about Chess in the Realms. I know that they play it, as it's seen in Cormyr: The Novel, but recently I've begun thinking about some of the various sets that might exist in the Realms, both mundane and magical. Given the wide variety of themed sets in existence in the real world, I'm sure that people in the realms would have come up with a few. I was wondering if anyone here had some ideas for possible chess sets?

I've got two Cormyr ones. Firstly, the Purple and Red Dragons, wirh Rhigaerd and Salember as the kings (Detailed in Chapter 28 of Cormyr) and a much more modern one, with the Purple Dragons of Cormyr, led by Azoun V up against the Zhentilar, led by Fzoul. Alusair and Scyllua as the queens, respectively. Any other Realmsian ideas for chess sets?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  21:08:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were a couple mentioned in Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  21:15:14  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love you Wooly. I had no idea Aurora's had that in.

Everytime I open up my PDF of Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog, it gets even better. It's a very nice feeling.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11806 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  22:33:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could definitely see a Thay versus Mulhorand chess set cropping up as a way to appreciate their victory. It just goes along with "Alavairthae". Of course, it would be odd with things like Eltab as the Queen and some of the heroes of the battle of Thazalhar as the various pieces (Jorgmacdon the conjurer, Velsharoon the necromancer, Ythazz Buvarr the lich, Zhengyi the necromancer, etc....). Later variations would obviously replace all 8 of the major pieces with the 8 Zulkirs presently in power (after all, many of those earlier heroes became renegades when the rule of Zulkirs arose). The Mulhorandi side would be the 8 major mulhorandi deities (absent Set and Sebek).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Tacitus
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  00:44:37  Show Profile Send Tacitus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I could definitely see a Thay versus Mulhorand chess set cropping up as a way to appreciate their victory. It just goes along with "Alavairthae". Of course, it would be odd with things like Eltab as the Queen and some of the heroes of the battle of Thazalhar as the various pieces (Jorgmacdon the conjurer, Velsharoon the necromancer, Ythazz Buvarr the lich, Zhengyi the necromancer, etc....). Later variations would obviously replace all 8 of the major pieces with the 8 Zulkirs presently in power (after all, many of those earlier heroes became renegades when the rule of Zulkirs arose). The Mulhorandi side would be the 8 major mulhorandi deities (absent Set and Sebek).

Zhengyi were present at the battle of Thazalhar?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  01:11:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Realms products are usually not that consistent as to whether chess is called "chess" or "lanceboard" in the Realms. That implies that while there may be regional name variants for the various pieces, fundamentally the game is the same. Ed notes [back in Oct. '05] that "Chess isn’t even called “chess” in the Realms; we real-world writers just render it (sometimes) into that word when describing it."

You'll also find some useful tidbits about the game in the entry for the "Magical Chessmen of Ultham-Urre" in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical. It was first mentioned in the Ol' Grey Box, as I recall. See also the "Noble" series novel Escape from Undermountain.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Aug 2007 15:52:53
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  14:19:40  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sava is alot like chess isn't it?

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  14:50:16  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the added randomness of the spider dice, if I remember right.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  15:52:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The description of 'sava' in Dissolution certainly had a chess-feeling to it.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  16:13:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

With the added randomness of the spider dice, if I remember right.

I actually like that idea (though I've never played chess), but I'd increase the number of times the dice could be rolled. The description, as I recall, said you could only roll once, and you had to roll the two spiders to get any benefit. To me, this meant you have to lose a turn on a very small chance of gaining any benefit. I'd only do that if my defeat was otherwise assured.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  17:02:53  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slightly off-topic, but I just thought that it might be nice to "realmsify" the chaturani chess-monsters from Dragon 358.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2007 :  04:44:14  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first thing I thought of when I read that article is that since they are extraplanar creatures, they would make a great summon for a cleric of the Red Knight (ahem, especially the knight pieces).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000